Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2014, 08:56 AM

6,131 posts, read 8,016,329 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
Agreed but far too often they don't move right after passing without some sort of invitation.
I usually consider "invitations" to move over as a warning that I'm driving too fast.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2014, 09:28 AM

8,775 posts, read 11,942,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
If you are used to nothing but flat midwestern roads, then that stretch through the mountains cartainly IS scary. That is the point...comparing it to flat midwestern roads is ridiculous.

If I drove it enough (like you have) I would surely get used to it and think it is no big deal, but for those new to mountain roads, it can be scary. I was also on the road at night, and I think it would have been much less scary during the day.
I know you're right. I guess it's just that I've driven hiways a lot worse than I-17 so it seems easy to me. Colorado can be a real adventure. lol Plus the fact that I've been driving it so long it's kind of boring to me anymore. Last time I drove it was last month. I flew into Mesa-Gateway late at night and drove home getting in at 2 AM. Sorry if I offended anyone...

Old 04-18-2014, 09:38 AM

9,197 posts, read 16,706,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnp292 View Post
I usually consider "invitations" to move over as a warning that I'm driving too fast.
There's no mistaking my intent if you're jamming up the flow of traffic in the left lane.

Old 04-18-2014, 09:49 AM

3,515 posts, read 3,703,289 times
Quote:
Agreed but far too often they don't move right after passing without some sort of invitation.
This. Having lived in Tennessee and Ohio, it was always common sense that if you are in the left lane with someone moving faster than you coming up behind, you simply move over to the right and let them pass without taking it as some great personal insult to your human dignity.

Ive seen people hold up six or more vehicles heading down to Tucson because had evidently self deputized as the highway speed regulators just hours earlier. I get the feeling that some people take it personally or simply dont know any better.

Basic driving etiquette is almost non existent out here and that goes for the idiots who tail gate the heck out of people in the right lane too....especially so because those are the ones who end up killing themselves and/or someone else.

Old 04-18-2014, 09:57 AM

7,236 posts, read 9,318,539 times
Quote:
Two things. First I don't like to cut too close in front of the person I'm passing. So I wait until I'm at least 2 car lengths in front of him. Second the people who are right on my ass during this operation don't wait. They cut in as soon as they have a couple of feet to spare. As far as I'm concerned that's their problem. Their risk. I'm usually speeding but only by 5-15mph depending. That's apparently too slow for many drivers. Again that's their problem.

Old 04-18-2014, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by locolobo13 View Post
Two things. First I don't like to cut too close in front of the person I'm passing. So I wait until I'm at least 2 car lengths in front of him. Second the people who are right on my ass during this operation don't wait. They cut in as soon as they have a couple of feet to spare. As far as I'm concerned that's their problem. Their risk. I'm usually speeding but only by 5-15mph depending. That's apparently too slow for many drivers. Again that's their problem.
If you get over after you're clear by two car lengths, that seems perfectly reasonable. It's those that either wait until they're a quarter mile ahead of the vehicle they passed or those that simply 'forget' to move over that are the problem and impede the flow of traffic.

Old 04-18-2014, 10:01 AM

6,131 posts, read 8,016,329 times
Quote:
There's no mistaking my intent if you're jamming up the flow of traffic in the left lane.
I don't jam up the left lane, so it won't be an issue. But I'm disappointed to learn you're one of those people who thinks it's OK to risk your life, and that of those around you, because you think the guy ahead of you is driving too slow.

Old 04-18-2014, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnp292 View Post
I don't jam up the left lane, so it won't be an issue. But I'm disappointed to learn you're one of those people who thinks it's OK to risk your life, and that of those around you, because you think the guy ahead of you is driving too slow.
I'm sorry you're disappointed but why do you think I'm risking my life or anyone else's?

And to clarify, the issue is not someone driving too slowly. It's when they do not get over once it's safe to move right after passing. As long as you're passing traffic to your right, you can go any speed you wish in the left lane and traffic will still flow - provided you get out of the way once finished.

Old 04-18-2014, 11:50 AM
YAZ

7,706 posts, read 14,134,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
And all that being said, having headlights in your rear view mirror when you are already in the dark, literally, is not the best scenario for being "aware of surroundings". I still vote for getting down the hill before dark.
We have family in Cottonwood and really enjoy our day trips.

But we always leave within an hour of sunset.

My concern is mostly drunk drivers, as they tend to come out more in the evening hours. On the way north, we'll typically run into some slow truckers that are usually pretty cool about hanging in the right lane. But.....we seem to run into folks that are just too scared to pass them.

Water & fruit in the car; not so much for survival.....more like comfort in case we have car trouble and have to stop. It's only about 100 miles one way for us, and it's not like we'd be stuck in the wilderness for days if we have trouble.

And yeah folks, watch out for coyotes.

Especially at night.

Old 04-18-2014, 11:55 AM
YAZ

7,706 posts, read 14,134,931 times
Quote:
If you get over after you're clear by two car lengths, that seems perfectly reasonable. It's those that either wait until they're a quarter mile ahead of the vehicle they passed or those that simply 'forget' to move over that are the problem and impede the flow of traffic.
Bare minimum for me?

I have to see the ENTIRE front of their vehicle in the rear view mirror.

Well, at least we don't have those tailgaters in a blinding snowstorm anymore. (Michigan)

Unless of course you're up in Flagstaff in February....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area