Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2014, 07:55 AM

149 posts, read 467,233 times

Advertisements

I want to drive from flagstaff to Phoenix tonight. Going by google maps, it looks intimidating though. I'm from the Midwest and have no experience driving in the mountains and desert. Is it unwise for me to drive there at night?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2014, 08:10 AM

39,072 posts, read 51,199,205 times
It s a typical freeway in good condition with moderate grades here and there. Nothing that will challenge a passenger car much. Assuming normal vision and reasonable driving skills, you should have no problem. The place where they have all the wrecks is coming down the hill from the Sunset Point Rest Area to Black Canyon City. People go too fast and change lanes without looking. So keep it under 65, keep distance from others as much as you can, and stay alert to idiots. I think there is a construction area south of Camp Verde that can lead to some delays at night. Check az511.gov for details.

It is one of the more scenic drives on the freeways of the US - alpine to low desert in less than 2 hours - though and you will be missing some nice views by coming at night.

Old 04-16-2014, 08:24 AM

19,429 posts, read 27,808,716 times
Essentially, I agree with Ponderosa.

But I will add that if you are already nervous about this drive, you are sort of predisposed to being overwhelmed by it - and I don't mean that to be insulting. I wouldn't drive that highway at night, but I am an admitted nervous driver on mountainous roads, and even at night on unfamiliar terrain.

Old 04-16-2014, 09:37 AM

6,404 posts, read 8,980,411 times
Driving on I-17 is just like driving on an a freeway in the Midwest. It's a standard, and well maintained, freeway.

Old 04-16-2014, 09:48 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,394,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondurant View Post
Driving on I-17 is just like driving on an a freeway in the Midwest. It's a standard, and well maintained, freeway.

I would disagree, especially telling that to a driver who is nervous about/inexperienced with mountain roads. I've driven it a lot, and I prefer to time my trips so I am well past Sunset Point before dark. Yes, it's well maintained, but it's not like driving through flat farmland somewhere. There are some tricky curvy spots and downhill grades.

To the OP-

If you are nervous, leave early enough that you will be at Black Canyon City before dark. The rest of the trip from there is easy. Or, it gets light early now.... get up early and come down in the morning.

Old 04-16-2014, 09:57 AM

19,429 posts, read 27,808,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
I would disagree, especially telling that to a driver who is nervous about/inexperienced with mountain roads. I've driven it a lot, and I prefer to time my trips so I am well past Sunset Point before dark. Yes, it's well maintained, but it's not like driving through flat farmland somewhere. There are some tricky curvy spots and downhill grades.

To the OP-

If you are nervous, leave early enough that you will be at Black Canyon City before dark. The rest of the trip from there is easy. Or, it gets light early now.... get up early and come down in the morning.
EXCELLENT advice.

Old 04-16-2014, 10:00 AM

6,404 posts, read 8,980,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post

To the OP-

All a matter of opinion, I suppose. I have no issues with any stretch of I-17 (even at night and as someone from the Midwest) but I also pay attention to the road and always mindful of what other drivers are doing. IMHO, those who cannot handle a freeway would be best not to get behind the wheel of a moving vehicle. Again, just my opinion.

I was only going to add that driving anywhere in, departing or heading toward the desert, it wouldn't hurt to have a jug of water just in case.

Old 04-16-2014, 10:02 AM

9,195 posts, read 16,634,851 times
Please stay in the right lane so the more confident drivers are not jammed up.

Old 04-16-2014, 10:24 AM

4,866 posts, read 11,217,036 times
It's a standard US Interstate Highway, if you can drive on a freeway anywhere else at night you can drive this one. Nothing at all to be concerned about. Drive the speed limit and stay to the right and you'll be fine. Anyone with a drivers license should not have concerns about driving a Interstate Highway anywhere in the country, especially rural highways which are much easier to navigate than freeways in urban areas.

Old 04-16-2014, 10:32 AM

639 posts, read 971,133 times
I also am a bit nervous with that highway. It's not that it's not well-maintained, but there are no streetlights to it or around it (there can't be, it's the side of the mountain, I get that). But for someone who doesn't drive it on a daily basis, it can be nervewracking at night. Do it in the morning if at all possible, especially if you're nervous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area