Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2014, 11:22 PM

7,284 posts, read 16,708,176 times

Advertisements

Real estate, plus old money from here, or in the Midwest or the coasts. The widget making factory is a great example; that describes my grandparents on one side. Both sets of grandparents landed in Arizona, at least part time. On one side, my grandparents owned a successful manufacturing company that employed ~500 people. It was a larger company that sent the senior executives off to 40s retirements. That must have been nice! In the 80s, they sold to a foreign company when that was the thing to do. They were some of the early adopters from the Midwest, with most of their land still in a trust. The other side of my family were on the finance side, and also had a lot of opportunity here, both in the valley and the high country.

Their generation, and their 60+ children (not the much younger grandchildren like me) seem to be in the sweet spot for having mountains of disposable cash. Many of the savvy ones were sitting pretty before the crash, and are still sitting pretty a few years later.

Besides a lot of lingering wealth from that era, there exists plenty of west coast inflated property value liquidation, and still a lot of left over pre-crash real estate holdings. I also have family members who abandoned CA for Phoenix, Sedona, and Flag, and greatly increased their standard of living in the process, so I'm sure that accounts for some of it.

Then there are obviously a handful of ball players and that type of person who has an unrealistically huge income. They are in the great minority, IMO, but they are visible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2014, 06:08 AM

3,825 posts, read 9,493,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondurant View Post
Everyone I know with money earned it.
Just read about one guy that was into collecting vintage cars and had a big house to store them all. Guy worked 80+ hours a week since high school at a chain of grocery stores his family owned in the midwest. Cashed out when he was in his 50's with enough to finance his hobby and build a few big houses in various spots around the country.

What I thought was an interesting observation from my friend the carpenter is that very few of his customers were doctors or lawyers. He runs into them while doing smaller jobs at million dollar houses, but once you get into the multi-million dollar houses it is generally the type of family I described before.

Old 04-22-2014, 06:55 AM

17,915 posts, read 43,468,988 times
Multiple off topic posts deleted. Please keep the thread on the topic of the original post. General discussions belong in the general forums. Thank you.

Old 04-22-2014, 06:15 PM

4,624 posts, read 9,290,684 times
Well I nailed it azcentral just posted the top 7 (I think) priced Scottsdale home sales and only one was for a local resident, the others were from out of state. Like I said go to any one of these ultra high priced communities and click on GIS maps and you can find out who owns them. It may take a while to find a local. Paradise Valley has a lot of locals though, it seems the out of towners who are romanticized by the desert are more attracted to Scottsdale's more rustic/old west feel.

Old 04-22-2014, 06:40 PM

30,538 posts, read 19,279,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asufan View Post
Well I nailed it azcentral just posted the top 7 (I think) priced Scottsdale home sales and only one was for a local resident, the others were from out of state. Like I said go to any one of these ultra high priced communities and click on GIS maps and you can find out who owns them. It may take a while to find a local. Paradise Valley has a lot of locals though, it seems the out of towners who are romanticized by the desert are more attracted to Scottsdale's more rustic/old west feel.
There's just not enough wealth generated in Az to sustain the wealth you see in Scottsdale...I would estimate 80% of the truly wealthy in Scottsdale made their wealth elsewhere.

Old 04-23-2014, 09:24 AM

4,613 posts, read 4,801,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grmi66 View Post
A buddy of mine specializes in building the custom cabinets and other wood features in those high end homes. Told me that his typical buyer is a guy from the midwest who sells his widget making factory, service company or chain of stores. Once he has his millions in the bank it's usually the guy's wife who says that shes tired of living in backwater Iowa (or Illinois, Indiana, Michigan, etc...) and it's time to move to Arizona.
This x 1000.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area