Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2015, 02:04 PM

25 posts, read 30,079 times

Advertisements

Since I've lived in Phoenix the most common ones I get are the "ran out of gas, need to get back to Tucson/other side of town etc".. "the clerk gave me the wrong bus pass" To question the legitimacy of the request, I will offer to go fill up the tank or go inside to get a new pass. The response is always "you can just give me the money, I'll go do it". Umm, no.

This is just my opinion of course, but I truly believe the ones who need help aren't holding signs up. They are the ones pushing the grocery cart full of everything they own. They are looking for the next spot to sleep, not the next car that drives by. I really get ticked at the "funny" signs, people with HEADPHONES IN THEIR EAR, and when they walk right up and put the sign in front of your windshield when you ignore them.

I've given people food before, just not money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2015, 02:10 PM

2 posts, read 1,580 times
Don't worry those are in teams, they migrate like Caribou from state to state , season to season. In my area Southern California, they are literally in shifts, and in teams. Then when the heat comes down on them.They all disappear to Arizona and other states to chill out on the corners. I know this,because I actually asked one of them. Hopefully you don't have the various types as we do here. One months is people in wheelchairs and VETS with the little red, white and blue flags. Then the next you'd think it was a terrorist group; like alkayda or the bin laden look a likes. hahaha ..Then what the city does is transport people who have been arrested and assigned Community service to go into their habitats and pick up their mounds of accumulated taco bell, and fast food containers they have left as a reminder of their existence. I think what the city should do , since it is going to take place is make them wear uniforms with hats. Wear a colorful t-shirts & work in teams-sharing is caring / picking up trash and doing the community service gig while earning a ticket out of dodge or a daily meal/ housing. The bigger the job, the better the reward. I did some volunteering at a VA hospital and that is how I came up with the idea. Why not have a team of men gather and go into those run down places that harbor the homeless and sweep them out . Bull doze the buildings or have the city offer plans on new business promotions for young people Or old to have a business and a opportunity to have something. If you keep people out of the motions of the country, they will result in vagrancy and dereliction living.The truely mentally unstable should be assessed and basically you go that way the other this way. Then on the mental evaluation team can help those people. You'd be surprised how many people are just financially pinched / nothing is wrong with them.

Old 04-24-2015, 02:22 PM

837 posts, read 2,338,018 times
I heard a statistic that said 96% of all cash donations to panhandlers goes towards drugs/alcohol

Old 04-24-2015, 02:39 PM

3,110 posts, read 5,393,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phxspartan View Post
Since I've lived in Phoenix the most common ones I get are the "ran out of gas, need to get back to Tucson/other side of town etc".. "the clerk gave me the wrong bus pass" To question the legitimacy of the request, I will offer to go fill up the tank or go inside to get a new pass. The response is always "you can just give me the money, I'll go do it". Umm, no.

This is just my opinion of course, but I truly believe the ones who need help aren't holding signs up. They are the ones pushing the grocery cart full of everything they own. They are looking for the next spot to sleep, not the next car that drives by. I really get ticked at the "funny" signs, people with HEADPHONES IN THEIR EAR, and when they walk right up and put the sign in front of your windshield when you ignore them.

Good observation, which is why I give to the Food shelters and Homeless shelters. Catholic services does a wonderful job.

I wish I'd taken a photo - I saw a CLASSIC panhandler. He had what looked like a brand new IPhone 6 stuck in his pocket, the requisite white earbuds in his ears. His clothes looked new. His bicycle looked like the one on this site: 2014 SPECIALIZED MYKA ELITE DISC 29" - Gordys Bicycles Store

Now - I'm not sayin' he stole it. And I'm not sayin' he shouldn't have transportation. I'm not sayin' anything except... how did he afford a bike and cellphone that I can't afford and he expects help from me?

Another beggar was a healthy, slightly overweight woman with about 30 tattoos, smoking a pack of cigarettes, with her nails done and her hair colored pink and cut in a rage style. I'm sitting at the light while she waves a sign about having to feed her baby! Help! I'm thinkin' - "How much did that hairdo cost sweetie? And those nails? And those Tats? And those cigarettes? Sounds like you don't need money, you need financial management advice. Pass."

PITA and a distraction by the side of the road.
Too bad, really. There ARE people who need help. But these scam artists make it hard to determine who is real and who is just slidin'! I think what we are all describing here is "compassion fatigue."

Old 04-24-2015, 02:41 PM

3,187 posts, read 5,755,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phxspartan View Post

There is a guy who positions himself on 3rd St. just south of the rail stop on Washington after every Diamondbacks game and he is always trying to get enough money for a train ticket. Funny how he finds himself in that spot in need of a ticket after every game. Starving season ticket holder?

Old 04-26-2015, 02:47 PM

13,376 posts, read 7,394,862 times
Starting to see a decrease in pan handling I think word is getting around that these people are scamming. With the crack down on standing in the center of the street. This one QT I go to often there is always the same guy running around with a gas can asking for spare change so he can get his family to California where a job is waiting for him.

Old 04-27-2015, 01:41 PM

15,154 posts, read 11,647,751 times
Begging me for money is one thing, LYING to me to get it is totally unnacceptable

Old 04-27-2015, 11:13 PM
YAZ

7,706 posts, read 14,111,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kell490 View Post
Starting to see a decrease in pan handling I think word is getting around that these people are scamming. With the crack down on standing in the center of the street. This one QT I go to often there is always the same guy running around with a gas can asking for spare change so he can get his family to California where a job is waiting for him.
I noticed that too.

Old 04-28-2015, 01:17 PM

24,528 posts, read 26,076,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kell490 View Post
Might be moving out with the snowbirds.

Old 04-20-2016, 10:04 AM

1 posts, read 657 times
They all deserve to be locked up. They bring shame, & disgrace, to their families. They also make, all of the people, in the Phoenix area, look like extreme losers. Humanity, will improve, with them, behind bars.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area