Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2014, 07:27 PM

10,766 posts, read 23,883,884 times

Advertisements

Let's have this thread be an all out discussion of what you think the future of Sky Harbor will be whether it be speculation or simply ideas on what direction you think the airport is heading towards with this snails pace merger of US Airways and American going on. Some questions to ponder.....

-Will many of US Airways routine routes be cut back?
-Will American find a nitch or profitable hub use in Sky Harbor?
-Will there be an opportunity for other airlines to make a large presence at PHX?
-Could there be more international routes (Paris/Tokyo/South America etc.)?

Discuss....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2014, 07:44 PM

654 posts, read 1,498,816 times
-Will many of US Airways routine routes be cut back?
NO

It's a tourist destination it ain't gonna dry up and blow away.
-Will there be an opportunity for other airlines to make a large presence at PHX?

Yes, many new flights are already scheduled for this winter.

No, Phoenix is not a launch point for international flights to Europe or Asia...South America ...maybe.

Old 06-05-2014, 08:07 PM

10,766 posts, read 23,883,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by youthinkso View Post
Will many of US Airways routine routes be cut back?
NO

It's a tourist destination it ain't gonna dry up and blow away.

Yes, many new flights are already scheduled for this winter.

No, Phoenix is not a launch point for international flights to Europe or Asia...South America ...maybe.
With a giant airline merger such as this I'd be skeptical to think they wouldn't cut back on at least some of the routes back. That's also what begs the question with more open gates which airlines would show up in place (calling Jet Blue!). Tourist destination incites a duh! response, but hubs also function as a connecting point. With less inclement weather in the Valley compared to most metro areas in the country PHX could serve as a big hub for connections, even for trans-Pacific Routes. Though I wonder what ideas and plans American has for Sky Harbor.

Old 06-05-2014, 08:09 PM

9,543 posts, read 16,564,662 times
I think there will be some major changes at PHX, when this merger is finally completed.

I would imagine American will cut back on some of the routes that US Air had. Some less profitable ones anyway. Either do away with them, or reduce service.

Phx will probably remain a hub for American, but a smaller one than it was for US Air. However I think American will really monitor Phoenix, as to how profitable it will remain as a hub after the merger. It's definitely not unheard of to close a hub, and its been happening more and more. When I worked for Delta I wasn't surprised when Delta, closed down some of its hub operations at major airports.. It can happen to American also with Phoenix.

I think its a great time for another airline to make a presence at the airport. Though in the airline business much research and time goes into, establishing or increasing service at an airport. So that presence could be awhile.

As far as Int'l flights. I was surprised Sky Harbor has a London route. At this time I seriously doubt more Int'l flights, other than perhaps adding more Mexico destinations looks promising.

The airline industry is very difficult to fully understand, and figure out what will happen. It's a very insecure business, and the effect of todays economies and politics. Has has taken a heavy toll on the entire industry world wide. I do hope Phoenix will remain a profitable and a successful hub for American. I do however think the length of time this merger is taking is ridiculous. That to me is not a good sign. Mergers are not pleasant to begin with. There are always problems with mergers, the unions, the gov't regulations that can approve or prevent the mergers. Employees benefits transferring into the merged airline. It takes time, but this is way to long on this American deal. Something is up I imagine. Then again when Delta and Northwest merged, it seemed to take forever on that merger also. So time will tell with American and its operations in Phoenix.

Old 06-05-2014, 09:47 PM

872 posts, read 1,002,426 times
It'd be awesome to go to South America from here instead of having to go to Houston, Dallas or Miami ughh

Old 06-05-2014, 10:01 PM

7,284 posts, read 16,714,844 times
There is going to be shifting around capacity between different hubs. The major difference will probably be a loss of seats to some routes direct from Phoenix, but a gain in others. Phoenix as a destination still needs identical capacity; it's the loss of the hub as a connector that does the most potential damage.

There is always opportunity, and things always change. I'm more positive about the merger today than I was previously. My biggest concern isn't the loss of my primary direct routes, but the dilution of frequent flyer benefits, or in other words, my first class seat This may sound frivolous, but it's not--airlines invest huge amounts of money retaining their core flyers.

In terms of international routes, that's a good question. PHX has a huge weather advantage--it does not have weather problems or airspace constraints like a lot of connecting destinations.

Old 06-05-2014, 10:51 PM

4,235 posts, read 14,083,342 times
more discussion on Sky Harbor here in this C-D thread from a few days ago:

//www.city-data.com/forum/phoen...ion-still.html

Old 06-05-2014, 11:11 PM

309 posts, read 368,418 times
One more...

Are there going to be car accidents caused by the faulty signage? which results in the need to cross over 4 lanes within 100 - 200 feet. After dropping off some friends last night, one sign for the 10 & 60 told me to get in the farthest lane to the left... 100 feet or so later, it tells me to get to the far right. Help! And when you're entering the terminal area, there are places that one is expected to merge with no merge lanes or time to do so. Help!

Old 06-06-2014, 01:54 PM

6,131 posts, read 8,004,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by go09 View Post
One more...

Are there going to be car accidents caused by the faulty signage? which results in the need to cross over 4 lanes within 100 - 200 feet. After dropping off some friends last night, one sign for the 10 & 60 told me to get in the farthest lane to the left... 100 feet or so later, it tells me to get to the far right. Help! And when you're entering the terminal area, there are places that one is expected to merge with no merge lanes or time to do so. Help!
I've noticed that too. I often wonder how people who aren't familiar with the airport manage to find the East Economy lot on the first try.

Old 06-06-2014, 03:15 PM

681 posts, read 1,563,045 times
Well US Airways has cut 1 of their 2 non-stop daily flights to/from YYC.... now there's an AA flight with a stop over in its place. Totally sucks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area