Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2014, 04:19 PM

7 posts, read 11,456 times

Advertisements

We are moving to Phoenix in 3 weeks, and are looking into our cable/internet options. We currently have and despite Comcast. We had Cox for a while in Southern California, and thought we'd go back to them, but their promotional bundles are all 2-year contracts, and we will move after one year. They have told me that they WILL charge a early termination fee, even if we move out of their service area.

So... it either leaves us with spending a bit of money on Cox since we can't take advantage of their specials, or looking for other options. Are there other options in Phoenix? How do they stack up, both in service and price?

Thanks in advance!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2014, 04:25 PM

17,915 posts, read 43,477,647 times
Comcast is not here. For internet, CenturyLink is really your only other option. You can bundle phone, internet and TV. If you happen to be moving into an area where their new Prism TV is available, they have some really good deals.

Last edited by observer53; 08-04-2014 at 04:40 PM..

Old 08-04-2014, 04:26 PM

397 posts, read 661,276 times
Cable tends to be location based, you get whatever is serviced in your area which means you don't get to choose. There is always Dish Network and DirectTV, I'm sure they have contracts as well, not sure how long though. I've had Comcast, Dish, DirectTV and am real happy with Cox.

I don't think you'll find much else unless you want to cut the cable and use internet based services like Hulu, Netflix, etc.. Of course there is always plain ole rabbit ears which has gone digital now.

Old 08-04-2014, 04:39 PM

17,915 posts, read 43,477,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by esiebert7625 View Post
Cable tends to be location based, you get whatever is serviced in your area which means you don't get to choose. There is always Dish Network and DirectTV, I'm sure they have contracts as well, not sure how long though. I've had Comcast, Dish, DirectTV and am real happy with Cox.

I don't think you'll find much else unless you want to cut the cable and use internet based services like Hulu, Netflix, etc.. Of course there is always plain ole rabbit ears which has gone digital now.
It's not like electric service, it's not location based. While there MAY be some exceptions in really outlying areas, the entire Phoenix metro is served by Cox AND CenturyLink.

Old 08-04-2014, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
It's not like electric service, it's not location based. While there MAY be some exceptions in really outlying areas, the entire Phoenix metro is served by Cox AND CenturyLink.
Yes it is, do you know of another cable provider that can provide you service at your location. On a CABLE line you can only get the provider that owns the cable. CenturyLink runs their own twisted pair wire (not cable) to your house. You do know that both Cox and CenturyLink have their own separate cables running to your house. You can't get CenturyLink on a Cox cable or vice versus, it's location based upon who runs a cable to you which dictates your options.

And just like electric you can get service from whoever ran the power line to your house or you can go solar which is another service option using a different delivery method.

Old 08-04-2014, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doradora View Post
We are moving to Phoenix in 3 weeks, and are looking into our cable/internet options. We currently have and despite Comcast. We had Cox for a while in Southern California, and thought we'd go back to them, but their promotional bundles are all 2-year contracts, and we will move after one year. They have told me that they WILL charge a early termination fee, even if we move out of their service area.

So... it either leaves us with spending a bit of money on Cox since we can't take advantage of their specials, or looking for other options. Are there other options in Phoenix? How do they stack up, both in service and price?

Thanks in advance!!
I just got a card in the mail today from CenturyLink, while I don't like their Internet (whole cable vs. DSL thing) it may be just fine for you.

Their offer is $74.95/month for Prism TV (never heard of that, I always though they partnered with DirecTV) and Pure broadband for speeds up to 20 Mbps. The T&C's state it only requires a 12 month agreement. If you put in your new address in Phoenix they will tell you if it's available in your area. They are throwing in the modem, box and installation for free.

CenturyLink | Experience Prism TV Service. See the Prism TV Demo.

Old 08-04-2014, 05:37 PM

3,187 posts, read 5,754,761 times
Generally speaking, Cox is everywhere in the metropolitan area (Maricopa is an exception) and some areas have the option of CenturyLink Prism. As of today, Prism is not available where I live. The city of Phoenix allowed for multiple cable providers in the early 80s and there were competing companies laying cable, but that did not last and very few homes had more than one choice. Cox's predecessor Dimension Cable bought out the competitors (Storer was one) and we ended up without any competition. There is, of course, satellite.

Old 08-04-2014, 05:43 PM

7 posts, read 11,456 times
Thanks for all the info - I had not heard about CenturyLink before, so will look into that.
I'm moving to 85018 zip, and when I check out the CenturyLink website with my address, it seems to give me only "DirectTV" options for cable TV ... is this the same as Prism? Or does this mean that Prism is not available at the new address?

Old 08-04-2014, 05:55 PM

3,187 posts, read 5,754,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doradora View Post
Thanks for all the info - I had not heard about CenturyLink before, so will look into that.
I'm moving to 85018 zip, and when I check out the CenturyLink website with my address, it seems to give me only "DirectTV" options for cable TV ... is this the same as Prism? Or does this mean that Prism is not available at the new address?
DirecTV is not the same as Prism. This means that Prism is not available.

Old 08-04-2014, 05:59 PM

DirectTV is satellite based which you can get anywhere. Prism TV utilizes the same broadband network that CenturyLink provides you internet with. Not sure why you couldn't get Prism TV if you can get CenturyLink they may have to upgrade equipment in your area to provide it. CenturyLink has partnered with DirectTV in the past as they could not provide internet/TV service bundles on their own before they introduced Prism TV.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area