Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2014, 11:28 AM

3,941 posts, read 6,736,527 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burning Madolf View Post
Hahahhahahahaha, thanks for the laugh.
I'm not usually good at satire (oozing with sarcasim), but you picked it up! That's awesome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2014, 12:28 PM

72 posts, read 133,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiphead View Post
Ah yes, the failure of the last half of the 20th century policies begin. If you people want to start attacking farms, be ready to pay much more for food. Just saying....Why must everything be so difficult with people.
I don't think anyone wants to "attack" or regulate the farms. Having only visited farms, I do not proclaim in any sense to be an expert, but there are methods implemented around the world and numerous studies finding ways to reduce water in agriculture. Surely there could be some gains there.

Municipal water use has been flat despite population growth, so although there is more that could be done, there have been some improvements.

Old 08-13-2014, 12:54 PM

2,775 posts, read 5,734,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goolsbyjazz View Post
I'm not usually good at satire (oozing with sarcasim), but you picked it up! That's awesome.
I figured it was either a joke or you were living in a parallel universe.

Old 08-13-2014, 01:02 PM

3,187 posts, read 5,751,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainBiking View Post
I would estimate that parkways are close to 10% of a typical front yard's square footage- more if the house is on a corner (two parkways). Removing grass entirely from the parkways and adding urbanite, gravel and/or drought tolerant plants and a drip irrigation system would help to save plenty of water. Plus adding plants with colors would beautify your front yard. Perhaps homeowners that pay for monthly lawn service can negotiate a discount of their monthly service bill since there will be less grass to cut??

The same as above would apply to any side grass sections like between the driveway and the property line/neighbors house.

Cheers.
Parkways: it sounds like you are talking about the strip of land between the sidewalk and the street, is that it? If so, that's the first time I have heard them called that. Also, that is relatively rare in the Phoenix area, most sidewalks seem to be right next to the street.

Old 08-13-2014, 01:13 PM

2,775 posts, read 5,734,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbenjamin View Post
Parkways: it sounds like you are talking about the strip of land between the sidewalk and the street, is that it? If so, that's the first time I have heard them called that. Also, that is relatively rare in the Phoenix area, most sidewalks seem to be right next to the street.
It took it as greenbelts in a subdivision.

Old 08-13-2014, 06:48 PM

52 posts, read 73,051 times
No such thing as running out of water, only running out of CHEAP water

Old 08-13-2014, 09:14 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,317,530 times
I think we should try to reward conservation efforts with tax breaks. I'm guessing some of these already exist and I'm sure users will let me know that but these were examples I thought of

(1) Artificial Turf Lawns and Desert Landscaping - give large tax breaks to homes that replace grass with artificial turf lawns and desert landscaping.

(2) Swimming Pools - Give Tax Breaks for removing swimming pools in existing homes. People who really want them will keep them while others who don't use them that much will get a tax break for removing them and saving on their water bills.

(3) Give tax breaks for minimizing water usage each month.

(4) Give financial incentives to close down golf courses that are not being used. There are some in the Valley that just need to be closed.

(5) Give tax breaks for replacing washers with new front loaders which use a lot less water.

There are a lot more ideas like this

Also, education will help. Creating a water conservation museum in downtown will attract people and teach water conservation methods and protecting the evironment etc. It sounds far fetched but we live in a desert and a museum or some type of attractive feature unique to our environment can teach while entertaining at the same time.

Old 08-13-2014, 11:45 PM

8,046 posts, read 12,288,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlohaFriday View Post
Then there's the grass. Grass in the desert is a luxury, not a necessity. People always kind of belittle that, talking about fascist liberals who don't want anyone to have grass. What are we supposed to do, have rock yards and cactus in our front yards? Well, it's the desert. Yeah.
Grass lawns have become quite rare in the newer suburban developments ... many of them have been putting in rock yards & natural landscaping since about the 1990s. People should have a choice because, after all, it is their property. If they want grass & leafy trees, fine. If they want rocks or natural desert, fine. Nobody should be forced to plant something they don't find desirable or attractive. Forcing everybody to put in a certain kind of landscaping isn't quite fascism, but it's pretty close. Besides, I highly doubt my 1/4 acre of grass makes any difference in the overall water situation.

It's funny that you keep bringing up the grass lawns & how they waste water, but I hardly ever see anybody calling for the removal of all the swimming pools or waterparks, which consume a huge amount of water ... more than grass or trees in most cases. If you want to target anybody for water waste & the worsening drought, why not go after all the adamant sun lovers who move here for the sunny climate & think that they need a pool or a waterpark? Maybe if all these would be transplants worshiped the sunshine a little less and took the drought more seriously, they wouldn't be moving here in droves like they do and making the situation worse.

Old 08-14-2014, 05:39 AM

9,805 posts, read 11,200,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
I think we should try to reward conservation efforts with tax breaks. I'm guessing some of these already exist and I'm sure users will let me know that but these were examples I thought of

(1) Artificial Turf Lawns and Desert Landscaping - give large tax breaks to homes that replace grass with artificial turf lawns and desert landscaping.

(2) Swimming Pools - Give Tax Breaks for removing swimming pools in existing homes. People who really want them will keep them while others who don't use them that much will get a tax break for removing them and saving on their water bills.

(3) Give tax breaks for minimizing water usage each month.

(4) Give financial incentives to close down golf courses that are not being used. There are some in the Valley that just need to be closed.

(5) Give tax breaks for replacing washers with new front loaders which use a lot less water.

There are a lot more ideas like this

Also, education will help. Creating a water conservation museum in downtown will attract people and teach water conservation methods and protecting the evironment etc. It sounds far fetched but we live in a desert and a museum or some type of attractive feature unique to our environment can teach while entertaining at the same time.
It would be a lot easier to crank up the price of water (via a tax) and use those $$'s to offset some other tax. As soon as I see a $200 water bill, you will have my immediate attention. Until then, I want my green grass and long showers. Currently my 86,000 gallon summer usage is exclusively used to keep my grass green and shrubs alive. 86,000 gallons costs me $85. It's too cheap for a desert. Now @ $200 a month, I'm going to study artificial turf, explain to my wife we are not putting in a pool, take shorter showers, etc. A "water conservation museum" is something I would never visit. In fact, I don't want to pay for that. If you tap my wallet, I'm going to be all ears.

Old 08-14-2014, 07:05 AM

397 posts, read 660,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post
It would be a lot easier to crank up the price of water (via a tax) and use those $$'s to offset some other tax. As soon as I see a $200 water bill, you will have my immediate attention. Until then, I want my green grass and long showers. Currently my 86,000 gallon summer usage is exclusively used to keep my grass green and shrubs alive. 86,000 gallons costs me $85. It's too cheap for a desert. Now @ $200 a month, I'm going to study artificial turf, explain to my wife we are not putting in a pool, take shorter showers, etc. A "water conservation museum" is something I would never visit. In fact, I don't want to pay for that. If you tap my wallet, I'm going to be all ears.
In Colorado we had tiered rates based on usage like so, the more you used the more expensive your water costs per 1,000 gallons

• Tier 1 ( 0 – 22,000 gallons) $4.11
• Tier 2 (23 – 60,000 gallons) $5.08
• Tier 3 (61 – 80,000 gallons) $6.50
• Tier 4 (over 80,000 gallons) $8.66

We also had restrictions on time of day you can water and what days you can water. They would fine anyone who wouldn't comply.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area