Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2014, 12:13 PM

768 posts, read 1,761,350 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
Except for probably 85257, I'd take Scottsdale. If we can throw 85258 (McCormick Ranch specifically) into the mix, Scottsdale would be a slam dunk. I love the historic districts but they're a bit too "spotty" for my comfort level. I don't want to drop $700k on a beautiful historic home only to grocery shop with meth heads and hookers.
We've lived in 85257 for over 5 years. Best Location in S-dale - for us, maybe the entire Valley. Not sure why you are calling out 85257. Perhaps you are not familiar with the 85257 areas that include Sherwood Forest, East Camelback, etc. - home prices $450,000 and up.

Yes, there are spots in transition (McDowell Rd corridor) but you can't beat the location, location, location. Many pockets of older homes are the beneficiary of owner/occupied remodels as the original owners die out and younger buyers move in. The welcoming news is that South Scottsdale is changing to meet the needs of younger, full-time residents. Many areas, especially in Scottsdale proper are focused on seasonal visitors and tourism.

Living in South Scottsdale is like being in on a good secret.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2014, 12:19 PM

9,196 posts, read 16,666,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caryberry View Post
We've lived in 85257 for over 5 years. Best Location in S-dale - for us, maybe the entire Valley. Not sure why you are calling out 85257. Perhaps you are not familiar with the 85257 areas that include Sherwood Forest, East Camelback, etc. - home prices $450,000 and up.

Yes, there are spots in transition (McDowell Rd corridor) but you can't beat the location, location, location. Many pockets of older homes are the beneficiary of owner/occupied remodels as the original owners die out and younger buyers move in. The welcoming news is that South Scottsdale is changing to meet the needs of younger, full-time residents. Many areas, especially in Scottsdale proper are focused on seasonal visitors and tourism.

I would live in 85257. Just probably not over some of the historic districts, if given the choice. 85250, 85251 and up seem to have fewer unkempt homes overall.

Old 08-23-2014, 01:02 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,462,871 times
Quote:
That's why adding McCormick Ranch into the mix makes it a slam dunk IMO. There are plenty of semi-custom and custom homes there where you can have a nice, unique property and live in an area nowhere near blight. That's the best of both worlds, unless of course proximity to downtown Phoenix is a priority.
I'm not thinking of McCormick Ranch as being quite "adjacent to downtown Scottsdale", but I agree it's a nice area, some parts nicer than others.

Quote:
Originally Posted by caryberry View Post

Maybe I need a little help here. 85257 doesn't go north of Thomas, so I don't know how "East Camelback" fits in. I'm having trouble finding the Sherwood Forest neighborhood, so you will have to tell me where it is.

There are parts of south and west Scottsdale in 85257 where the homes and lots are larger and nicer generally. They are still mostly tract homes (there are exceptions, including some that have already been remodeled) , but I agree that that's an area with a future in terms of revitalization. Not as ready for prime time as the Phoenix districts, but certainly could head that way. Will never be as green, though.

Old 08-23-2014, 01:46 PM

1,016 posts, read 2,983,010 times
There really is no comparison. There are no other neighborhoods or houses in the metro area that look like the historic districts of Phoenix. The Phoenix historic districts are the only neighborhoods that make me feel like I'm back east with all of the older victorian style homes. No where in Scottsdale makes me feel like I'm in an old neighborhood in Chicago, St. Louis, etc.

Old 08-23-2014, 01:47 PM

3,187 posts, read 5,751,623 times
Quote:
Except for probably 85257, I'd take Scottsdale. If we can throw 85258 (McCormick Ranch specifically) into the mix, Scottsdale would be a slam dunk. I love the historic districts but they're a bit too "spotty" for my comfort level. I don't want to drop $700k on a beautiful historic home only to grocery shop with meth heads and hookers.
Speaking as someone who did that, you sound like you don't get out much. The crowd at the Safeway here may be a bit more diverse than the one near your house in Scottsdale but I don't see many more hookers or meth heads than when I lived out your way.

Old 08-23-2014, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbenjamin View Post
Speaking as someone who did that, you sound like you don't get out much. The crowd at the Safeway here may be a bit more diverse than the one near your house in Scottsdale but I don't see many more hookers or meth heads than when I lived out your way.
Your definition of 'not many' must be zero because I've never seen a hooker or a meth head by me. I love the historic neighborhoods and think they're beautiful but to deny that they are adjacent to some not-so-nice areas is simply not telling the truth.

Old 08-23-2014, 02:30 PM

2,919 posts, read 5,811,585 times
wow...judge much?

Old 08-23-2014, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastbabe View Post
wow...judge much?
Judge what? I think the word you're looking for is 'compare', which is what the OP asked for.

Old 08-23-2014, 03:51 PM

3,187 posts, read 5,751,623 times
Quote:
Your definition of 'not many' must be zero because I've never seen a hooker or a meth head by me. I love the historic neighborhoods and think they're beautiful but to deny that they are adjacent to some not-so-nice areas is simply not telling the truth.
Nonsense, you just don't know what you are looking at. There are questionable people everywhere, they just may dress a bit nicer up there.

Old 08-23-2014, 03:56 PM

4,235 posts, read 14,076,577 times
looking at the OP's original post, it appears historic appeal, walkability, access to restaurants, etc., and vibe/yuppie appeal are the primary concerns....random thoughts:

I grew up in the Phx area (T of PV and NE Phx/Scotts) and don't think any residential neighborhood in Scottsdale even comes close to "historic"...the oldest large 'hoods in Scotts are nothing more than 1950s-era tract homes....there's an obvious difference between the Willo-like neighborhoods of Phx vs. anything in Scotts....if classic historic-looking neighborhoods are important to the OP, Phx is the only choice....

South Scotts (I call South Scotts anything south of Osborn or so) is an incredibly convenient area, but, again, is older tract home-looking....I agree it will be the next up-and-comer for Scotts, but it's not really walkable to downtown Scotts attractions and doesn't have a young prof. vibe right now....

McCormick Ranch, dating from the 1970s (!), is also very convenient, but not particularly walkable and is not near downtown, as the OP wants (and it doesn't have a young prof. vibe)

the OP mentions commute...what is that commute?

the young prof. vibe is very alive in many parts of downtown Scotts, but not in any historic-looking buildings!....hip, sleek condos are the thing there now!....

the young prof. vibe exists in the historic areas of Phx, too, but the buildings/homes are much more historic!.....

maybe we need to know about that commute??!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area