Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2014, 04:02 PM

9,196 posts, read 16,666,532 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbenjamin View Post
Nonsense, you just don't know what you are looking at. There are questionable people everywhere, they just may dress a bit nicer up there.
Right. If a meth head looks like professional I'd walk by and not think twice. I just don't want to see riff-raff when I'm going about my errands after spending a small fortune to live in a certain area.

Living close to impoverished areas would make me uneasy. I'm simply stating my opinion. YMMV.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2014, 08:16 PM

268 posts, read 431,199 times
Thanks everyone for the input. Still really looking at 85257 and 85251 in particular. If anyone has additional input about demographics and vibe, that would be great.

I've looked at statistics, but boots-on-the ground is always better. Drove down there today and wasn't entirely impressed, but keeping my mind open. I live in the Valley now, but am not familiar with residential neighborhoods in that area.

Old 08-23-2014, 08:19 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,317,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
Right. If a meth head looks like professional I'd walk by and not think twice. I just don't want to see riff-raff when I'm going about my errands after spending a small fortune to live in a certain area.

Living close to impoverished areas would make me uneasy. I'm simply stating my opinion. YMMV.
Not only that, your estimate was conservative in my opinion. You mentioned 700K but the nice homes in those areas that I was interested in were well over a million dollars. I agree, if you are going to spend that much on a home, you shouldn't have to be concerned about being mugged at your local pharmacy at night. That was my issue with Arcadia. I love the older homes and landscaping. I also like some of the local restaurants in the immediate area. But it is also next to some very seedy areas where you could hear police and ambulance sirens go off continuously at night.

Old 08-25-2014, 11:07 AM

2,852 posts, read 4,507,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckeyeBoyDJ View Post
There really is no comparison. There are no other neighborhoods or houses in the metro area that look like the historic districts of Phoenix. The Phoenix historic districts are the only neighborhoods that make me feel like I'm back east with all of the older victorian style homes. No where in Scottsdale makes me feel like I'm in an old neighborhood in Chicago, St. Louis, etc.
Even then, comparing Phoenix's historic areas with anything back east is a long stretch.

I like Phoenix's historic neighborhoods and Tempe's too, but the age of the infrastructure is a big issue for me. Maybe the buildings have been revamped but the sewer systems and all other utility lines are usually old and decaying, this can create too many headaches for the occupants.

As for Scottsdale, it's attractive and all but it has been described as a desert-styled south beach for obvious reasons.

Old 08-25-2014, 07:07 PM

428 posts, read 5,885,907 times
if price is no object, go big... Paradise Valley, would love just a lot with a backyard view of Camelback head near McDonald and Tatum, or something off Mockingbird. Maybe I'd even go with one of those Hampton-like traditional English mansions in Arcadia if it felt right.

Old 08-25-2014, 08:28 PM

4,918 posts, read 6,482,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vince3vince View Post
if price is no object, go big... Paradise Valley, would love just a lot with a backyard view of Camelback head near McDonald and Tatum, or something off Mockingbird. Maybe I'd even go with one of those Hampton-like traditional English mansions in Arcadia if it felt right.
Paradise Valley is one of the richest towns in the entire country.. I went to PV once to visit my buddy and he lives close to a lot the pro athletes especially pro baseball and football players. That town is insanely nice. I would love to move to PV and the women are smoking in that town.

Old 08-29-2014, 01:02 AM

8,046 posts, read 12,288,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vince3vince View Post
Maybe I'd even go with one of those Hampton-like traditional English mansions in Arcadia if it felt right.
I love Arcadia because it's a throwback to how Phoenix used to be many years ago (at least the nicer parts of Phoenix): large older homes with quality construction, and large green irrigated grassy lawns with plenty of shrubbery & citrus trees. It's also reasonably close to downtown Phoenix and Scottsdale. Arcadia seems worlds away from the modern day cheap stucco subdivisions with small rock yards that dominate the newer suburban/exurban areas. Having a place in Arcadia can be expensive, but I always say that you get what you pay for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area