Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2014, 10:43 AM

7,068 posts, read 6,464,858 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Awesome, thank you. Love the shot of the cougar chasing the deer.
yeah, isn't that amazing?

I also thought it was interesting that bobcat in the pic was so close to the mountain lion. Guess he really wanted water though I bet he was ready to take off like a rocket if that mountain lion decided to turn on the bobcat. Would be interesting which cat is faster.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2014, 11:41 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,359,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevek64 View Post
yeah, isn't that amazing?

I also thought it was interesting that bobcat in the pic was so close to the mountain lion. Guess he really wanted water though I bet he was ready to take off like a rocket if that mountain lion decided to turn on the bobcat. Would be interesting which cat is faster.
Id guess the bobcat to be faster, simply due to the fact it has less weight to toss around, but I could be wrong.

Old 08-26-2014, 12:07 PM

755 posts, read 1,118,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Good read, thank you!

Ive heard not to run, as it triggers their natural instinct to chase.
Yes, my understanding is that at the point you are face-to-face with a mountain lion, you are about the business of convincing it you are not (easy) prey, and that's your one and only job! Not p*ssing it off might be a secondary but also important consideration, but I'm just spitballin' here.

Old 08-26-2014, 12:20 PM

4,069 posts, read 5,140,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montanama View Post
Yes, my understanding is that at the point you are face-to-face with a mountain lion, you are about the business of convincing it you are not (easy) prey, and that's your one and only job! Not p*ssing it off might be a secondary but also important consideration, but I'm just spitballin' here.
And that is why I hike with a .40 on my hip

Old 08-26-2014, 12:46 PM

4 posts, read 5,084 times
If you find yourself jogging and encounter a mountain lion then you are too close to their habitat. This is because people started building homes on these animals territory.

Old 08-26-2014, 12:50 PM

7,068 posts, read 6,464,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobramom View Post
If you find yourself jogging and encounter a mountain lion then you are too close to their habitat. This is because people started building homes on these animals territory.
I think it goes beyond building homes. Many are hiking in state parks, national parks, or in back country and may encounter them in this way.

But in this context, I agree....we are in their territory and have to respect that fact.

Old 08-26-2014, 12:52 PM

755 posts, read 1,118,434 times
Well, I think the point of hiking is to get into the "wild habitat", for the most part. Otherwise you just take a walk along the sidewalk. When we hike, we expect to be in something's habitat, but that doesn't mean we want to have a close encounter.

It was ALL "their" habitat at one point. In my hometown, we are seeing mountain lions entering town more frequently not because their habitat is being invaded, but because they are learning that the urban deer population (which also moved into town for the easy life--they were not here when I was growing up) is easy prey, and along the way they are finding out that house pets are yummy too. And then, one day they are walking along and see that lady jogging, and decide to take a closer look... That's how it has progressed around here. I don't know why it would be any different in the Phx area.

And I'd reiterate--you don't accidentally encounter mountain lions. If you see one it's because it is actively stalking you.

Old 08-26-2014, 12:57 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,902,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KurtAZ View Post
Payson...yes...Metro Phoenix...no.
I lived in Payson for 14 years and never saw a mountain lion. Never saw a bear either. Did see plenty of coyotes, deer, elk and javelina though. Spent a lot of time out in the woods and worked at Kohl's Ranch for 6 years...no sightings at all.

Old 08-26-2014, 01:17 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,359,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KurtAZ View Post
And that is why I hike with a .40 on my hip
Thats all good and dandy, but all the attacks Ive read about, they attack from behind, with stealth. That gun wont do you any good when your neck is snapped from behind by a cat weighing more than you do.

Old 08-26-2014, 02:18 PM

3,822 posts, read 9,471,533 times
I frequent the trails up in the White Tanks and my feeling is that about the only trail you will see them on would be Ford Canyon. Even on a busy weekend that trail only sees a handful of people and because of the numerous pools of water along the trail it attracts all sorts of animals. I've seen cat tracks near some of the pools and one time I ran up Ford Canyon it got way too quiet for a few minutes. Did not hear a bird chirp or rabbit rustling in the weeds and it felt like something was watching me. Probably overthinking it, but it was an odd few minutes.

I've mentioned it before, but I do a lot of off trail hiking, running and general exploring around the area. Have seen rattlesnakes, javelinas, coyotes, bobcats, ringtail cats, gila monsters and the only thing that makes me nervous are the bees.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area