Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2014, 09:14 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,359,841 times

Advertisements

I hike. A lot. I always have the feeling in the back of my mind that there are mountain lions in the area, and I always scan the area for them, trying to minimize my chances of startling one or stumbling upon a den. I know theyre solitary beasts, and dont really inhabit populated areas, but Ive read about all the attacks/maulings that occur in densely populated areas of California and British Columbia, so I dont think the Valley is immune from a possible attack. I also know AZ has a healthy population of mountain lions, too. My question is, have any of you seen or run into a mountain lion while hiking here in the Valley?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2014, 09:57 AM

72 posts, read 133,243 times
I hike a lot also, but have never seen a mountain lion in AZ. I've seen rattle snakes, gila monsters, and coyotes, but not mountain lions. California tends to build homes all around preserves, trapping the mountain lions in narrow canyons. That is at least partially to blame for the increase in mountain lion sightings and attacks there.

Old 08-26-2014, 10:10 AM

4,069 posts, read 5,140,766 times
Payson...yes...Metro Phoenix...no.

Old 08-26-2014, 10:14 AM

I only asked because theyve even been spotted in metro Chicago area, so Im fairly certain theyre here in the Valley, too. Ive seen some pretty big scat out while hiking, along with bones nearby. Could be coyotes, but its still a little unnerving to stumble upon that stuff while out in the middle of nowhere.

Old 08-26-2014, 10:21 AM

7,068 posts, read 6,464,858 times
I have never seen them hiking either.

Not sure if you've seen these pics of a mountain lion at the White Tanks:

Mountain Lions at Whit tanks.

Old 08-26-2014, 10:22 AM

755 posts, read 1,118,434 times
We have a lot of mountain lions around here (MT), but the saying is that you won't see one until it's too late . They are not something one stumbles upon, at least around here. If one is stalking you, you might see it before it attacks. The only reason a mountain lion will stick around, knowing there are people around, is if it's hunting...someone....(Or if it is in fact sick or trapped.)

Lol. It's a bit of an exaggeration, but really not far off base. One might encounter a bear, for instance, for a lot of reasons other than the bear intending to eat you, so odds are good that the bear doesn't want to see you any more than you want to see it. From there the encounter can progress in a variety of ways depending on your reaction and the bear's disposition But if one sees a mountain lion, it is likely that lion's choice to be in your vicinity, and the reasons for that intention are decidedly more narrow than the situation with a bear. It wants to eat you, or it's wondering if it wants to eat you and intends to give you a try. That's about it.

They are "solitary" beasts, but around here they are drawn into town and the outskirts by the large urban deer population we have here. Easy pickings. Some also become habituated to hunting farm animals or house pets, more easy pickings. So in that case you might "bump into" one that has actually ventured into a more populated area.

We have friends who "hunt cats" (my least favorite "sport") so we know there are many in the surrounding mountains (in addition to the FWP statistics). Yet with a lifetime of hiking, camping, plus owning a cabin in the mountains of MT, I have never seen a mountain lion. Tracks & scat, yes, a live one, no. And I'm hoping to keep it that way!

I say carry bear spray anywhere that you even think you might encounter a lion. Or go with the suggestions I've heard, like, "Use a deep voice and make yourself look as large as possible." LOL. And don't run away, whatever you do. Ha!!

Old 08-26-2014, 10:25 AM

9,196 posts, read 16,636,523 times
I've never seen a mountain lion but do see bobcats pretty often.

Old 08-26-2014, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montanama View Post
And don't run away, whatever you do. Ha!!
Good read, thank you!

Ive heard not to run, as it triggers their natural instinct to chase.

Old 08-26-2014, 10:32 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,287,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
I've never seen a mountain lion but do see bobcats pretty often.

Yes, a friend in Fountain Hills often sees a bobcat or two on her retaining wall watching the birds at her birdfeeder.

Old 08-26-2014, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevek64 View Post
I have never seen them hiking either.

Not sure if you've seen these pics of a mountain lion at the White Tanks:

Mountain Lions at Whit tanks.
Awesome, thank you. Love the shot of the cougar chasing the deer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area