Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2008, 12:31 PM

1 posts, read 3,919 times

Advertisements

I have lived in Goodyear for 7 years now. I love the area and think it is only getting better. Here are some things to consider. Canyon Trails has a tremendous amount of renters and investment (vacant) properties. Estrella Mountain Ranch is beautiful, but its a community that you either love or hate, there is no in between. From the Interstate it takes about 10-15 minutes and there arent' many ways in or out so traffic gets congested in the morning and evening. Beautiful views, nice ammenities with the clubhouse. Too far from shopping in my opinion. You have to drive all the way to the interstate to reach walmart. Palm Valley in my opinion is the best of the three spots. New Westcor mall, lots of new shopping and restaurants. For the most part the homes are very nice and there aren't a lot of starter type or homes that are priced ideally for a bunch of investors. There are some good deals to be had from the builders, however, where the new phase of palm valley is, the noise level from the Jets seems to carry a little more, there aren't any homes, just fields between the airfield and this phase of palm valley. On the resell market you will also find some great deals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2008, 01:24 PM

943 posts, read 2,521,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vesquer View Post
I have lived in Goodyear for 7 years now. I love the area and think it is only getting better. Here are some things to consider. Canyon Trails has a tremendous amount of renters and investment (vacant) properties. Estrella Mountain Ranch is beautiful, but its a community that you either love or hate, there is no in between. From the Interstate it takes about 10-15 minutes and there arent' many ways in or out so traffic gets congested in the morning and evening. Beautiful views, nice ammenities with the clubhouse. Too far from shopping in my opinion. You have to drive all the way to the interstate to reach walmart. Palm Valley in my opinion is the best of the three spots. New Westcor mall, lots of new shopping and restaurants. For the most part the homes are very nice and there aren't a lot of starter type or homes that are priced ideally for a bunch of investors. There are some good deals to be had from the builders, however, where the new phase of palm valley is, the noise level from the Jets seems to carry a little more, there aren't any homes, just fields between the airfield and this phase of palm valley. On the resell market you will also find some great deals.

There is noise from the jets at Luke. It doesn't bother us as hubby is a pilot and we've lived literally ON an airfield in Korea. I can see how it might deter others. Fortunately, Luke seems to do the majority of their training during daytime hours Mon-Fri, which is unlike some other military places we've lived. Also, it is quiet as can be on holidays. If noise is a concern for the original poster, that might eliminate this area. I forgot to mention it, because it isn't an issue for us

Old 01-02-2008, 02:04 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,229,847 times
if you have kids I'd look at Palm Valley right now. It's in the Litchfield Elementary School district, which is one of the best in the state.

However, some of this may change if the district consolidations go through.

Estrella Mountain Ranch is really nice, but I drive from Goodyear into Phoenix everyday and I think the extra 15-20 minutes of morning traffic would push me over the edge.

Canyon Trails is nice as well. However, if I were moving to Goodyear I'd look closer to Yuma/Estrella.

There are a few developments going up in this area. It is real close to where they are putting the spring training stadium and shops, easy access to the I-10 and the shoping centers around it. The westcor mall would be about 5 minutes away and they are going to develop a shopping center and yuma and cotton ln shortly.

Old 01-02-2008, 04:19 PM

39,080 posts, read 51,252,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by military spouse View Post
There is noise from the jets at Luke. It doesn't bother us as hubby is a pilot and we've lived literally ON an airfield in Korea. I can see how it might deter others. Fortunately, Luke seems to do the majority of their training during daytime hours Mon-Fri, which is unlike some other military places we've lived. Also, it is quiet as can be on holidays. If noise is a concern for the original poster, that might eliminate this area. I forgot to mention it, because it isn't an issue for us
We get the Luke jet noise from time to time in Estrella too. They are are a lot higher altitude than in the "valley" but those things are still LOUD. We also get annoying private pilots circling I guess taking in the golf course and lake views from above and the occasional 747 taking off from Goodyear airport.

On the other post, I can live with WalMart being 15 minutes away. But it gets very old havng to go down the hill for every little thing. Next year we are supposed to get a Basha's, some restaurants, hardware, daycare etc so life may begin to approach the promise this place has always held. For me it means I can walk to the lake to fish, walk to the waterpark to swim, and now, walk to the store along the lakeshore to get food and nails. But, I would be happy with pizza delivery. You'd be amazed how many people out here are against ANY commercial whatsoever. I can see the point to some extent. There is nothing like the remoteness and community feel of Estrella anywhere else in the Phoenix metro that I know of. It's like early Ahwatukee was.

Last edited by Ponderosa; 01-02-2008 at 04:28 PM..

Old 01-02-2008, 04:38 PM

943 posts, read 2,521,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
We get the Luke jet noise from time to time in Estrella too. They are are a lot higher altitude than in the "valley" but those things are still LOUD. We also get annoying private pilots circling I guess taking in the golf course and lake views from above and the occasional 747 taking off from Goodyear airport.

On the other post, I can live with WalMart being 15 minutes away. But it gets very old havng to go down the hill for every little thing. Next year we are supposed to get a Basha's, some restaurants, hardware, daycare etc so life may begin to approach the promise this place has always held. For me it means I can walk to the lake to fish, walk to the waterpark to swim, and now, walk to the store along the lakeshore to get food and nails. But, I would be happy with pizza delivery. You'd be amazed how many people out here are against ANY commercial whatsoever. I can see the point to some extent. There is nothing like the remoteness and community feel of Estrella anywhere else in the Phoenix metro that I know of. It's like early Ahwatukee was.
The jets practically take off in our backyard

Old 01-02-2008, 10:03 PM

4,273 posts, read 15,256,035 times
there's new construction in palm valley? where?

i like pv b'c it's close to the hwy but not too close.

estrella mountain ranch is also nice but i think it's a little too far from the hwy, at least for me it is

Old 01-03-2008, 12:05 AM

9,091 posts, read 19,229,847 times
all along indian school road from pebble creek to litchfield rd

Old 01-03-2008, 09:56 AM

6 posts, read 20,677 times
EMR (estrella mountain ranch) is beautiful, but i know several people that live up there and would love to get out. they say it is too isolated - takes 20 min just to get down "the hill" and another 15 min to a grocery store and shopping. There is a 'grocery store" up there ... it is really a convience store/gas station/pizza shop. The hoa fees go up quite a bit every year. Everyone says it is most inconvienent living up there and that a lot of the people are "clickie" as if they were still in high school. Lots of gossip .. but if you are into gossip, this is the place to be. School system is great though ... which is hard to say for most of the valley. Despite the beauty and school system, they still wish to leave to live down with the rest of the world in Palm Valley area. Oh yes, there is a pretty good termite problem in many of the homes up there too.

Old 01-03-2008, 10:03 AM

39,080 posts, read 51,252,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarlettmose View Post
EMR (estrella mountain ranch) is beautiful, but i know several people that live up there and would love to get out. they say it is too isolated - takes 20 min just to get down "the hill" and another 15 min to a grocery store and shopping. There is a 'grocery store" up there ... it is really a convience store/gas station/pizza shop. The hoa fees go up quite a bit every year. Everyone says it is most inconvienent living up there and that a lot of the people are "clickie" as if they were still in high school. Lots of gossip .. but if you are into gossip, this is the place to be. School system is great though ... which is hard to say for most of the valley. Despite the beauty and school system, they still wish to leave to live down with the rest of the world in Palm Valley area. Oh yes, there is a pretty good termite problem in many of the homes up there too.
I guess you don't like EMR. It is not convenient except to the parks, lakes and golf, but it does not take 35 minutes to get to the freeway. It takes me 14 minutes to get to Safeway, 15 to Walmart and 15.5 to get to I-10. I know. I do it every day of my life. It's the distance, not the time that gets to you. I'm on the lake and if you came from the nether regions in the south part it might be another five minutes. If I were to leave Estrella (it's back to the original name) I would not go to Palm Valley. It is too much like every other development here - out in the middle of a former cotton field with no/distant views surrounded by six-lane streets, traffic lights, shopping malls and PEOPLE. I'd pick Vistancia or Anthem, if I didn't have to drive to town too often. To each his own.

I also agree with you that people here are snobby. Some of them border on obnoxious. There is a real attitude that we are not part of Phoenix or even the rest of Goodyear and even a hint of "we are better than them". It's kind of "north Scottsdale" mentality.

Last edited by Ponderosa; 01-03-2008 at 10:20 AM..

Old 01-07-2008, 10:02 PM

25 posts, read 188,050 times
Default Thank you

thank you for all your input. It is really appreciated. Now I did read a thread about a Termite problem in Estrella? Any one else heard of this? Also is there a scorpion problem? I was told there is
Thanks to all
Sandy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area