Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-25-2015, 02:38 PM

3 posts, read 2,376 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are relocating from Missouri to Arizona...and we would like to stay in the Phoenix area, but we are unsure of where to look.......and Craigslist is not an option I want to use....also, we have animals so we have to take that into consideration......We need some direction......I am in Arizona staying with family, looking for a house.......any help is appreciated
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2015, 03:24 PM

9,196 posts, read 16,676,347 times
Phoenix is huge. Where are you relocating to? Do you work?

Old 01-26-2015, 10:21 AM

I just need to be away from HOA's and on the fringe of the city.....I am interviewing with local hospitals. I looked in San tan Valley....too far.......but my animals will be the issue......also, regarding property management companies, it is expected that you pay and application fee and credit check fee BEFORE you see the house? I have run into that a few times and to me it just does not seem right.........

Old 01-26-2015, 10:25 AM

17,915 posts, read 43,481,088 times
What "animals" do you have? Rentals suitable for "outside animals" (horses, cows, goats, sheep) are much less common.

Old 01-26-2015, 11:22 AM

6,957 posts, read 12,085,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkcurve999 View Post
I just need to be away from HOA's and on the fringe of the city.....I am interviewing with local hospitals. I looked in San tan Valley....too far.......but my animals will be the issue......also, regarding property management companies, it is expected that you pay and application fee and credit check fee BEFORE you see the house? I have run into that a few times and to me it just does not seem right.........
Why- Does it not make sense that they want to know whom they are showing homes to?
Desertwide properties has frequent homes for rent in my area and they get snapped up within a week of the sign going up.

Old 01-26-2015, 10:57 PM

1,216 posts, read 3,033,367 times
Quote:
This is typical and very much warranted. Can you blame them if they want to see if you are qualified before you see their property? You will find that the majority of rental owners and agencies require a credit check fee, less so an application fee. If you find a place that you are interested in, then do your due diligence and research the property as much as you can beforehand to not waste money and time and to be more selective in your rental search. Call owners and agencies if the info is available and ask questions about fees and pet acceptance before you do applications.

Old 01-27-2015, 09:21 AM

I have 2 dogs, one is part lab/chow the other is part lab/husky......why is it that a Chow, whether pure or mixed is on the shortlist of breed restrictions?

Old 01-27-2015, 09:29 AM

4,073 posts, read 5,169,024 times
Quote:
I have 2 dogs, one is part lab/chow the other is part lab/husky......why is it that a Chow, whether pure or mixed is on the shortlist of breed restrictions?
Because they are on the CDC's list of top 7 most dangerous breeds. Actually both the Chow and the Husky are. Many insurance companies won't insure the home if one of the breeds of dog reside in the home. It is a stupid rule...don't get me wrong...but the actuaries have to go off of something. I have actually heard of insurance companies dropping a homeowner's policy if they find out you have one of those breeds (but especially Pitbulls).

Old 01-27-2015, 02:39 PM

545 posts, read 1,487,888 times
RE sites to use - when we relocated I found Zillow Rentals and Trulia to be the best options. Both should tell you whether pets are allowed or not and make it easy to contact the landlord/rental agent/property management company. I personally wouldn't pay an app fee before seeing the property either, but that's just me. It can be done. You're going to have a hard time getting away from an HOA around here though...

Old 01-28-2015, 08:15 AM

445 posts, read 517,148 times
Quote:
Unfortunately, you will have limited options with those breeds and with dogs of those sizes. I have a pit bull and a pit/shar-pei mix. Had a really hard time finding landlords and agencies who accepted these breeds even if they were okay with dogs. I know chows don't have quite the same stigma but they are often on the same list of breeds that will affect homeowners and/or renters insurance, which is why many landlords just choose not to deal with tenants who have those breeds.

I'd recommend you keep an open mind and be flexible with your requirements on what you're looking for in a home since you will have fewer options than the average renter. If you find a good option that is okay with your dogs, jump on it right away. But depending on what your dogs look like, you may be able to say that both dogs are simply lab mixes. It is very common for shelter dogs to just have their paperwork call out one breed with the word "mix" afterward. You would be amazed how many dogs that most people think are just mixed breeds have pit bull in them. I've talked to many people who clearly have pit mixes that don't even realize it. But if your documentation on your dogs calls out the chow and husky parts, that may not be an option for you. If that's the case, I'd suggest being up front on that initial phone call about a place to rent just so no one's time is wasted.

Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area