Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2015, 06:17 PM

4,624 posts, read 9,290,684 times

Advertisements

Minneapolis teams use the "Minnesota" label.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2015, 06:43 PM

24 posts, read 49,677 times
What????????

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlcockatoo View Post

I'd consider myself an integral part of the Tucson area, and I'm in Tucson proper everyday, but I'd still be lying if I claimed it at the moment. When I ashamedly admit I live in Oro Valley, I'm breaking down negative perceptions

If you went to visit NYC and someone asked you where from, you would 'ashamedly admit' you were from Oro Valley and expect that person to have negative perceptions of you?????

And if you just told them you were from the Tucson area, you feel you would be lying??
Sorry if I find that weird, but that is so strange.

I moved here six months ago from 'an hour outside DC'; that's what I tell people if the question arises.

Old 01-31-2015, 07:53 PM

7,284 posts, read 16,706,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asufan View Post
Minneapolis teams use the "Minnesota" label.
And what about the Patriots? They don't even admit to being Mass holes--they use the New England label.

Old 01-31-2015, 08:07 PM

4,510 posts, read 4,637,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by woxyroxme View Post
I don't live anywhere near Arizona but know about Scottsdale, Tempe, Glendale(home of the Coyotes), Mesa, Chandler, Gilbert, and Paradise Valley (hometown of Billy "Superstar" Graham). At least these towns still retained their identities.

I tell people I live in Lebanon Ohio, not Cincinnati (too embarrassing).
Why would you be embarrassed to say you live in Cincinnati? Cincinnatti is not a bad place. If Leabonon is a suburb of Cincy, then more thamn likely there would be no Leabonon. Ohio as it is known today, if not for Cincinnatti.

Old 01-31-2015, 08:44 PM

7,083 posts, read 8,966,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivory Lee Spurlock View Post
Why would you be embarrassed to say you live in Cincinnati? Cincinnatti is not a bad place. If Leabonon is a suburb of Cincy, then more thamn likely there would be no Leabonon. Ohio as it is known today, if not for Cincinnatti.
Lebanon is too far removed from Cincinnati to be considered a suburb and was founded in 1802 before Ohio became a state. I went to the University of Cincinnati and lived in every direction off campus and Cincinnati is ghetto as it gets.

Point is that if someone that lives in Scottsdale wants to say they live in Scottsdale so what, I know where it is.

Old 01-31-2015, 10:50 PM

397 posts, read 603,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by woxyroxme View Post
Lebanon is too far removed from Cincinnati to be considered a suburb and was founded in 1802 before Ohio became a state. I went to the University of Cincinnati and lived in every direction off campus and Cincinnati is ghetto as it gets.
huh??? As "ghetto as it gets?" I'm guessing you haven't been to that many ghettos.

And Lebanon is part of the Cincinnati metro area making it a suburb. When it was established is completely irrelevant in determining whether it is a suburb or not. For example, Naperville, IL was settled in 1831 and no one would argue that it's not a suburb of Chicago.

Old 02-01-2015, 03:58 AM

107 posts, read 133,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfritodude View Post
If you went to visit NYC and someone asked you where from, you would 'ashamedly admit' you were from Oro Valley and expect that person to have negative perceptions of you?????

And if you just told them you were from the Tucson area, you feel you would be lying??
Sorry if I find that weird, but that is so strange.

I moved here six months ago from 'an hour outside DC'; that's what I tell people if the question arises.
Nah, I'd say Tucson area, I just wouldn't claim Tucson by itself as much as I'd like to. If I said Oro Valley I wouldn't expect anyone in NYC to know what that is. When I'm in Tucson, or maybe even Phoenix or Nogales or anywhere with people who may be familiar with the area, then yes I absolutely expect people to have negative perceptions of me based on where I live.

As for the earlier comment (from Detroit I think), yes it is very common. A majority of people who live in suburbs just say the nearest large city. It makes sense to them. If you live in that city and there's people from a nearby suburb claiming the city than it becomes a bit weird.

Old 02-01-2015, 05:05 AM

9,819 posts, read 11,205,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asufan View Post
The Cardinals are from Tempe . That is where their offices/facility is, and the players live in the SE valley.
No. The Cardinals are from St. Louis.

If the Diamondbacks franchise ever leave and move to Oregon, are they going to keep the mascot name "Diamondbacks" even when it is incredibly rare to see a Diamondback in Oregon (just like a Cardinal sighting is incredibly rare in the Valley)? I never really understood why they didn't can that Cardinal name here in AZ. I bet that rare cardinal bird that flies to Phoenix might have took a wrong turn along the flight pattern. They could have called them the Phoenix Pigeons and play at "Pigeons Stadium". Then they would never have to power wash the roof.

Old 02-01-2015, 05:59 AM

39,109 posts, read 51,321,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post

If the Diamondbacks franchise ever leave and move to Oregon, are they going to keep the mascot name "Diamondbacks" even when it is incredibly rare to see a Diamondback in Oregon (just like a Cardinal sighting is incredibly rare in the Valley)? I never really understood why they didn't can that Cardinal name here in AZ. I bet that rare cardinal bird that flies to Phoenix might have took a wrong turn along the flight pattern. They could have called them the Phoenix Pigeons and play at "Pigeons Stadium". Then they would never have to power wash the roof.
I see at least one cardinal (bird) a week in my backyard - generally every day. They are here in winter at least . Check out "range" under this link:

http://www.nhptv.org/natureworks/cardinal.htm

Anyway are there tigers in Cincy, lions in Detroit, or any real patriots left in New England?

Old 02-01-2015, 07:40 AM

9,091 posts, read 19,245,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post

I believe you mean Chicago, St Louis was just a stop in the road

Plus cardinals was originally based on the color, I have seen the bird here in AZ and its been the same family ownership since the team started, one of the oldest in the league...... Not sure why they would change
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area