Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-01-2015, 04:15 PM

50 posts, read 79,626 times

Advertisements

I'm relocating with my two kids in June so we can be closer to my family after my divorce. I'm looking to rent a 3 bedroom apartment or house for around $1200 or a bit less. In looking I can find this in many parts of the valley, but in a few years I want to buy a house and my price range is going to be $180K-low 200's.
I'm not crazy about starting my son in one school district and changing later. Wouldn't it be best to rent in an area where I know I will also be able to buy?
Also, any recommendations for a safe, family oriented suburb that meets the affordability criteria? I am open to east or west valley. I will likely be working in downtown Phoenix.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2015, 04:33 PM

397 posts, read 605,058 times
When we first began our home search, we thought that we would rent first and then buy. We wanted to look for something in the same school district where we would buy so it would be less disruptive for our kids. So I agree with your approach.

I only know about the East Valley. But as of today, you can definitely find houses in the low $200s in Chandler, Ahwatukee and Gilbert. All of these areas are known for being safe and having good schools. Although supposedly there are issues in the Gilbert schools which is one reason why we focused our search on the Chandler and Kyrene schools.

In that price range, I'd look in the Kyrene school district. The Chandler schools in the older, cheaper part of Chandler (north of the San Tan freeway and east of 101) are not as good as the Chandler schools in south Chandler. You can still find smaller homes in the low mid $200s in south Chandler but they are small and harder to find than in the Kyrene school district part of Chandler. There appear to be many apartments and lots of rentals in that area.

Will your range go up once you are here a few years? Prices appear to be inching up slowly and houses going for the low $200s now will cost more in a few years. I think you would have a hard time finding anything in the Kyrene school district that is less than $200K. But as of today, you could find something decent around $220K in the Kyrene part of Chandler. If you are willing to consider a very small house, you could probably find something closer to $200K.

Old 02-02-2015, 08:23 AM

6 posts, read 9,167 times
I agree with JTW2013...
We just moved here from Northern CA last June and bought a house in Chandler within the Kyrene School District and close to Corona del Sol High School. It is an excellent area, close to freeways and all conveniences, SAFE, family friendly and maybe just a bit high on your price range, but there are lots of apartments which might meet your cost needs-I'm not sure as I never rented.

Good luck and Welcome to AZ!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area