Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2008, 11:38 AM

225 posts, read 962,640 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
And, a UOP grad was accepted for one of those programs. In fact, that person is now a professor at ASU
I wouldn't doubt it but I'm sure he was hired by ASU for reasons other than his UOP degree like his past work experience. That's not the same as saying his UOP degree opened doors for him and enabled him to get hired at ASU.

I'm not criticizing all on-line degrees. Many of the "Executive MBA's" like the Duke Executive MBA involves a lot of on-line coursework. But those degrees are not cake and involve a lot of work. It's not a fast food degree.

But people do need to know that even those "Executive and part-time MBA's" are much easier to be admitted to for a reason. The regular daytime MBA carries more prestige and offers more perks like on-campus recruiting which are often denied to students in the other programs. The Duke Executive MBA grads don't have access to the on-campus recruiting the full-time MBA students have. If you want to make yourself the most competitive, it's best to attend the day-time MBA. That doesn't mean you can't value for the on-line or part-time MBA's but people should be aware of that distinction.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2008, 11:40 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,281,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweettearose View Post
I wouldn't doubt it but I'm sure he was hired by ASU for reasons other than his UOP degree like his past work experience. That's not the same as saying his UOP degree opened doors for him and enabled him to get hired at ASU.

I'm not criticizing all on-line degrees. .
This is the thing - the person I'm referring to (a she) did not get an "on line" degree. It was classroom - nights, weekends. I'm not sure where everyone thinks UOP (and other similar schools) are "on line"?

BTW, this person got their two masters then went to ASU for their Doctorate.

Old 01-10-2008, 12:00 PM

Quote:
This is the thing - the person I'm referring to (a she) did not get an "on line" degree. It was classroom - nights, weekends. I'm not sure where everyone thinks UOP (and other similar schools) are "on line"?

BTW, this person got their two masters then went to ASU for their Doctorate.
You are confused. UOP offers class participation mixed in with on-line assignments so they are casually being referred to as "on-line" on this thread although technically they are not purely on-line. However, they don't meet for the same frequency that a standard degree offers. I have a friend who graduated with a bachelors from UOP and he only met for classes twice a week. He took most of his exams on-line or just had to submit papers. There were also on-line "lectures"

Old 01-10-2008, 12:03 PM

Quote:
You are confused. UOP offers class participation mixed in with on-line assignments so they are casually being referred to as "on-line" on this thread although technically they are not purely on-line. However, they don't meet for the same frequency that a standard degree offers. I have a friend who graduated with a bachelors from UOP and he only met for classes twice a week. He took most of his exams on-line or just had to submit papers. There were also on-line "lectures"
They use both methods that is true - but then again, so do traditional universities today. ASU offers a number of on lines courses also - it is the wave of the future

The person I'm describing went two nights a week for 4 hours per night and 9 hours on both sat and sunday - in classroom 26 hours per week. Quite a bit She took her exams on campus

Old 01-10-2008, 12:04 PM

I will add that i also knew someone who received their MBA from UOP in one year (standard is 2 years at most progams). He attended classes only twice a week as well and had much of it substituted through on-line coursework and lectures. After completing his degree, he went jobless for nearly 6 months until I hooked him with someone. This is why I'm speaking so passionately about this topic. My friend completely regrets getting this degree and felt it did nothing for him.

Old 01-10-2008, 12:08 PM

Quote:
I will add that i also knew someone who received their MBA from UOP in one year (standard is 2 years at most progams). He attended classes only twice a week as well and had much of it substituted through on-line coursework and lectures. After completing his degree, he went jobless for nearly 6 months until I hooked him with someone. This is why I'm speaking so passionately about this topic. My friend completely regrets getting this degree and felt it did nothing for him.
Many Universities, all over the country, are now turning to "Distance Learning" methods for certain programs.

Reality is, not everyone can attend traditional classes - they just cannot.

And, like I said, ASU, and UofA are doing distance learning classes. I guess if you are going to recommend someone not get their education at UOP, you should also warn them against ASU, UofA, USC, UCLA etc

Old 01-10-2008, 12:11 PM

Quote:
They use both methods that is true - but then again, so do traditional universities today. ASU offers a number of on lines courses also - it is the wave of the future
That depends on what degree you are talking about. ASU offers 3 types of MBA's. They offer a full-time, part-time and on-line MBA. The ASU on-line MBA is similar to a University of Phoenix degree. This is why the full-time and part-time carry more prestige. And only their full-time MBA grads are offerred access to their on-campus recruiting. I would recommend doing the full-time or the part-time degree but not the on-line degree. In regards to ASU's full time bachelors degrees, on-line courses are used to fulfill electives or smaller credit 1 or 2 credit classes but their core classes are not offered on-line.

Old 01-10-2008, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Many Universities, all over the country, are now turning to "Distance Learning" methods for certain programs.

Reality is, not everyone can attend traditional classes - they just cannot.

And, like I said, ASU, and UofA are doing distance learning classes. I guess if you are going to recommend someone not get their education at UOP, you should also warn them against ASU, UofA, USC, UCLA etc
The reality is that many people do make sacrafices to attend school full-time so it's not that people can't attend traditional classes, they choose not to. A person can qualify for government and student loans to attend school full-time while raising families. It's pretty common actually. I know people in their 30's and 40's who take out loans to attend medical, dental, pharmacy and law schools and those schools are often 3-4 years and have higher tuition as well as higher costs in terms of books and equipment.

If someone wants to attend an on-line program to satisfy their degree, that's their choice but they should do so knowing they will be at a significant disadvantage when comared to students who completed full-time degrees. There is a reason the full-time programs have much more competitive admission statistics versus the part-time and on-line programs because they offer the greatest reward at the end. You are always going to be better off completing the full-time degree.

Old 01-10-2008, 12:34 PM

Quote:
The reality is that many people do make sacrafices to attend school full-time so it's not that people can't attend traditional classes, they choose not to. A person can qualify for government and student loans to attend school full-time while raising families. It's pretty common actually. I know people in their 30's and 40's who take out loans to attend medical, dental, pharmacy and law schools and those schools are often 3-4 years and have higher tuition as well as higher costs in terms of books and equipment.

If someone wants to attend an on-line program to satisfy their degree, that's their choice but they should do so knowing they will be at a significant disadvantage when comared to students who completed full-time degrees. There is a reason the full-time programs have much more competitive admission statistics versus the part-time and on-line programs because they offer the greatest reward at the end. You are always going to be better off completing the full-time degree.

I'm sorry but, I have to respectfully disagree with everything you posted above

And, as for the student loan issue - how silly. Many do not want to be loaded with student loan debt - especially when they have a family and responsibilities - I commend those who work, raise a family AND go to school as well

And, as an employer, I also disagree with you on the standing of these types of degrees.

Sorry - we will have to agree to disagree

Old 01-10-2008, 12:48 PM

208 posts, read 819,929 times
Default Paying your dues

A degree is only as good as the person that holds it, There are plenty of people with a degree who don't seem to have any common sense, I mean they couldn't even borrow common sense on credit, and then there are people who are intelligent and may not have a degree.

A degree is your foot in the door, it's a chance at a position, it's not the end all to obtaining a job.

I started my IT career working at AOL (America Online), I then worked at a cable company, a computer training company, a hospital and now I am a Network Administrator.

I had to progress through those jobs in IT to get to where I am now, and I'm still not finished. Eventually I want to get in management, so I'm obtaining my Bachelors and Masters. I also want to earn more, and having a degree coupled with over 10 years of experience should look nice (I hope).

Everyone has to pay their dues, yes there a few people who come right into a job making good money, and those people who completely pass every rung on the ladder and go straight to the top, but those people are the exceptions.

UoP may or may not get your foot in the door if you don't have anything else going for you, because they are not as intense as traditional schools, but that doesn't mean that your resume skips HR and goes to the shredder.

Like I said earlier, I personally started out at UoP, but due to the exorbitant amount of tuition I stopped going. I was able to transfer some credits to Jones College in Jacksonville (who now offer online courses and on campus) and I'll finish my degree this year.

I originally went to UoP because I knew I would finish my degree fast, but things didn't work out. Jones is a bit harder, but it's no MIT. I can say that I'm happy with where I'm going now. I have the experience, IT certification, and soon a degree. If you look at job posting (IT specifically), you will see that they all want experience, usually years of it. Companies will take your degree and less experience, but you still need that all important experience.

Take your time, research the school, gain experience, have great interviewing skills, get your degree, have common sense (move common sense to No. 1), and everything will usually work out just fine.

Wow, I'm talking too much.............................................. ..................
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area