Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2008, 01:59 AM

4,589 posts, read 13,167,951 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
The reason that I posted this is because I have a degree from UOP that I completed in the classroom. I will complete my MBA from the school this year. Here in Califorina there is no problem with finding employment with a degree from UOP. Verizon, Amgen (Although they aren't doing so good these days.) Weyerhauser, Most medical facilities, too name a few and many other employers have no problem hiring UOP Grads. As far as the alumni association, it is actually considered by many to be one of the best in the world.
I recieved my bachelors in Elementary Ed from UOP......No problem what so ever obtaining an amazing position within a major Az public school system. I also decided to go back for my masters in Elem. Ed with ASU and had no issues transfering ALL my credits over to them. I really belive that no matter where you decide to attend college, if you put foth the effort and time you will do well. As for employers who do not hire UOP grads because of the school they attended.....that shows a great deal of ignorance and immaturity....IMO, there's no way I'd work for them anyway.

Best of luck!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2008, 08:14 AM

3 posts, read 18,895 times
I just recently graduated from the University of Phoenix in Global Business Management and was just offered a position with a very highly respected organization in the United States. The pay increase is incredible and they will pay for me to go back and get my Masters Degree from U of P. I have had several friends over the years that have gotten dream jobs because of U of P. You have to remember U of P is not an online school, they have ground campuses in every metro area around the U.S. The degree programs are a lot harder than brick schools. They do have exams, final projects, final papers. One thing I liked was that you didnt have an old fart professor that taught you about marketing that happened in 1898, you get real life instruction from your professors that have experience in the field. All instructors need to be at a MBA or Doctoral Degree to teach at U of P. I have talked to many HR managers and they do not through out applications from U of P. They told me they like U of P students because it should them that employees can handle a job, family, school and other life situations. Traditional schools you go to school and party.... Ok thats experience.

Old 08-16-2008, 07:25 AM

595 posts, read 2,308,982 times
I've seen a lot of UoP teachers, who were very incompetent. Have a look at Ripoff Report: By Consumers, For Consumers.

Old 08-18-2008, 08:27 AM

837 posts, read 2,335,686 times
Haven't read through the whole thread but I'd like to throw my .02 cents and experience out there. I need to finish my BA up (about 40 credits) to get into law school. About a 65/35 ratio of lawyers and law school attendees on my lawschool forum that I'm on said don't bother with it, it may hurt your chances of getting into a good Law School.
............that and the fact that the cost is $515 per credit hour sent me running to ASU which offers an online degree program at a cost of $385 per credit hour.
Not to mention the academic advisor reminded me of a high pressure cars salesman constantly calling and hounding me, even asking me If I knew of any friends who might be interested in finishing school that I could give their number to her!!

Old 08-30-2008, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trudawg View Post
Haven't read through the whole thread but I'd like to throw my .02 cents and experience out there. I need to finish my BA up (about 40 credits) to get into law school. About a 65/35 ratio of lawyers and law school attendees on my lawschool forum that I'm on said don't bother with it, it may hurt your chances of getting into a good Law School.
............that and the fact that the cost is $515 per credit hour sent me running to ASU which offers an online degree program at a cost of $385 per credit hour.
Not to mention the academic advisor reminded me of a high pressure cars salesman constantly calling and hounding me, even asking me If I knew of any friends who might be interested in finishing school that I could give their number to her!!
Go ahead and run to ASU and sit in a classroom and work full time and see how much free time you really do have, besides trying to find a parking place and pay $150 per book per class. Have fun. And your comment about high pressure car sales man, if you want to think about it that way that’s ok. Adults are procrastinators and they complain if they don’t get want they want. Adults know they need a higher education degree to move forward, but they procrastinate until it’s too late. If it wasn’t for my enrollment counselor pushing me I would’ve never gotten my Bachelors degree. And yes I did give them some friend’s names because they were also in need of an education. It was actually pretty cool that my friend and I walked across the stage together to get our diplomas. Also it was great because we challenged each other and helped each other keep motivated throughout our degree program. Big deal if they ask, all they are doing is caring.

Old 08-30-2008, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryhussein View Post
I've seen a lot of UoP teachers, who were very incompetent. Have a look at Ripoff Report: By Consumers, For Consumers.
I have found it that the instructors at U of P go through a very intense interview process. A majority of my instructors are PHD's and were CEOs of corporations. If anybody wants to read things off of a website like RIP OFF report which has no value except for people’s opinions and majority of the people’s opinions are those that have failed in a class or have taken financial aid and ran with the money and now they have to pay it back are the ones that put negative things on the website. If any intelligent person wants to take things off the internet instead of making a sound decision on their own, they don’t even deserve to go to college, they need to go back to high school where they can learn between fact and fiction.
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]

Old 08-30-2008, 02:31 PM

687 posts, read 1,947,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seattleflyer View Post
I have found it that the instructors at U of P go through a very intense interview process. A majority of my instructors are PHD's and were CEOs of corporations. If anybody wants to read things off of a website like RIP OFF report which has no value except for people’s opinions and majority of the people’s opinions are those that have failed in a class or have taken financial aid and ran with the money and now they have to pay it back are the ones that put negative things on the website. If any intelligent person wants to take things off the internet instead of making a sound decision on their own, they don’t even deserve to go to college, they need to go back to high school where they can learn between fact and fiction.
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
I'm going to go out on a limb and guess you work for UoP.

Old 09-02-2008, 04:50 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,359,422 times
Let me add to this post that I started. As far as the instructors that I had nearly all were well qualified for the job and taught exceptionally well. One of them studied at the school, completing her second masters and a Doctorate. She had earned her first Masters from UCLA. The fact is of the instructors that I had all of them completed there education from traditional schools. Some of the instructors that I had represented graduates from New York University, Stanford, BYU, UCLA, USC, Pen State, and a few other top schools. One thing about University of Phoenix instructors is that none of them have tenure. I know that of the schools that have tenured instructors many times you can get some wild ideas being taught. Lets face it the traditional higher educational system is liberal leaning. The ideas that are floated around these institutions are a little too far left for my taste. Something that traditional education may need to look at is in getting rid of the tenure system and bring in instructors that will perform. The cost of the program is no different than a traditional school. The reason that public education cost less is that we the people are subsidising it. Take out the governments help and Arizona State will cost the same. To tell you the truth I bet that Arizona State would cost more than UOP.

Old 09-02-2008, 08:35 PM

4,589 posts, read 13,167,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by barryhussein View Post
This really means nothing.....no offense but it really doesn't. I work for one of the largest public school districts in Az and did a lot of research on UOP not only online but also via mine and other school districts.....they are fully accredited and any decent school district will look highly upon a UOP graduate. I really can't speak for their other programs as I only researched Elementary Ed. I've had teachers who were absolutely horrid who graduated from ASU and other highly reputable collages. As I stated previously in this post......you can attend any accredited collage and ultimately fail.....without the drive, the hard work and the dedication you won't get far in any college however, strive to be the best and really sink your teeth into your course of study......the sky is the limit with any accredited college.

Old 09-09-2008, 11:28 AM

3 posts, read 13,698 times
Default Re: University of Phoenix

As I read the post regarding University of Phoenix, (UOP) and how many of you would not recommend the education, I find your comments and writing styles very elementary. The University of Phoenix is a great place to get an education. The facilitators are reputable people with outstanding creditials. They teach information literacy and scholarly pratices and leadership skills better than any University I have attended, and I have attended several on campus classes. UOP recogize that adult learners are different from young learners. We have a committed spirit and a hunger for knowledge. We do not need a stick and wip to get us to learn, it is our chose and our nature as mature adults.

The team concept that UOP teaches is remarkable, and has taught me and others well. We can work with anyone and accomplish the job that needs to be done with out conflict because we know that team work is important. It is funny how the new person to a team forum at UOP is alway obvious because they do not get alone with other members of the team for lack of communication skills which are taught by the University in pre-recresit classes during your BA degrees.

My first few years at UOP raised questions about the quality of the education that I was receiving. I decided to apply myself and give it more time. I am so glad that I did because I am working on my doctorial degree and I write, read and communicate better than I ever have in the past. I complete with the best of my collegues and feel very confident. I past the LSAC in the highest precentle and should be attending law school next year.

"If you do what you have always done, you will get what you always get" (unknown) No one knows the author of this quote, but it is closely related to something Alber Einstein might say. "Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area