Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2015, 12:09 PM

3,187 posts, read 5,776,111 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
I would be all in favor of it IF we weren't already paying an extended half cent sales tax which is supposed to help fund light rail extensions. Also, you should know by now that what is often promised in these packages is quite a bit different than what is actually delivered. I will say that for the most part, the result from the initial transportation tax in 2000 has been positive. Light rail was completed as promised without too many delays ... although I'm still wondering what happened to all the bus pullouts that were supposed to be installed.
You realize that this is replacing that tax, right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2015, 02:15 PM

2,796 posts, read 7,504,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbenjamin View Post
You realize that this is replacing that tax, right?
There are two levels of transportation taxes for Phoenix residents. One is Transit 2000, which is specific to Phoenix. The other is Propisition 400, which was approved in 2004 and applies to all of Maricopa County. It replaced the Maricopa County freeway tax approved by voters in 1985. The proposal going before the voters in August would replace Transit 2000. Proposition 400 will eventuallly need to be replaced as well, but that's a while in the future. The reality is that we've had two levels of transportation taxes for the past 15 years, and we'll probably need both levels for the foreseeable future. That doesn't bother me, but it is clearly of concern to someone.

Old 03-13-2015, 09:03 PM

2,852 posts, read 4,523,271 times
I'd like to see a comprehensive mass transit plan presented to the voters that would expand light rail, express busses, additional freeways, and even commuter rail to more of the suburban areas, especially in the west valley.

I always thought the central and east valley areas got the better transportation deals but the west valley often gets the short end of the stick.

Old 03-13-2015, 10:01 PM

7,340 posts, read 12,448,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Java Jolt View Post
I'd like to see a comprehensive mass transit plan presented to the voters that would expand light rail, express busses, additional freeways, and even commuter rail to more of the suburban areas, especially in the west valley.

I always thought the central and east valley areas got the better transportation deals but the west valley often gets the short end of the stick.
Well, Tempe has a local transit tax that other cities lack. However, it does seem that Mesa has benefited a lot from Proposition 400, as they now have the third highest total ridership in the Valley (behind Phoenix and Tempe and ahead of Scottsdale) and have a light rail line going through. Mesa once had no Sunday bus service at all, but now has Sunday service on all east-west routes except the Main Street Link, and has Sunday north-south service on Dobson, Country Club, and Power.

I think the West Valley should get some light rail though. In my dream light rail system I have two lines serving the West Valley - the Blue Line and the Orange Line.

Old 03-18-2015, 05:32 PM

570 posts, read 1,007,358 times
Facebook page regarding the $30 billion tax (not in support of it):

https://www.facebook.com/stopthelarg...nixtax?fref=nf

Old 03-18-2015, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swbrotha100 View Post
Facebook page regarding the $30 billion tax (not in support of it):

https://www.facebook.com/stopthelarg...nixtax?fref=nf
There will always be opposition to these proposals, especially if it involves tax increases.

What these opponents fail to realize about this proposal is it's all part of expanding and improving transportation.

It's synonymous with better mass transit, infrastructure improvements, and civic pride.

Shortly after the initial light rail opened for business and ridership exceeded all expectations, most of the critics were silenced.

Old 03-28-2015, 02:24 PM

8,057 posts, read 12,351,835 times
It bothers me because of all the promises our so called leaders make, and then these projects are often delayed, scaled back, or even scrapped all together because of mis management, budget shortfalls that were not accounted for, or other excuses we hear along the way. Prop 400, which was passed in 2004, was supposed to be the additional funding for extending light rail AND freeways. We have seen some minimal progress with the light rail from this, but hardly anything as far as freeways. If this new initiative passes, it will not replace the Prop 400 half cent tax extension. It will be an additional tax on top of that one, which as I stated previously is the same as double taxation. This is why I'm against it.

I will admit that light rail has been a success, and I have been very pleased to see the initial line exceed expectations for ridership. Based on this, I'd like to see light rail extended throughout much of the Phoenix area as long as there is demand for it.. I'd also like to see more bus routes and the additional freeways that were promised, including improvements to some of the existing freeways. The problem is not only the cost, but the broken promises, cutbacks, delays, and lame excuses that we constantly hear about why these things aren't moving forward.

Old 03-28-2015, 05:22 PM

3,187 posts, read 5,776,111 times
Quote:
It bothers me because of all the promises our so called leaders make, and then these projects are often delayed, scaled back, or even scrapped all together because of mis management, budget shortfalls that were not accounted for, or other excuses we hear along the way. Prop 400, which was passed in 2004, was supposed to be the additional funding for extending light rail AND freeways. We have seen some minimal progress with the light rail from this, but hardly anything as far as freeways. If this new initiative passes, it will not replace the Prop 400 half cent tax extension. It will be an additional tax on top of that one, which as I stated previously is the same as double taxation. This is why I'm against it.
There are taxes at two levels. This proposed sales tax increase will increase an existing City of Phoenix .4% tax (which supports light rail and buses) to .7%. The Prop 400 .5% is an existing Maricopa County tax. In that sense, double taxation already exists.

Old 03-31-2015, 08:58 PM

Quote:

I will admit that light rail has been a success, and I have been very pleased to see the initial line exceed expectations for ridership. Based on this, I'd like to see light rail extended throughout much of the Phoenix area as long as there is demand for it.. I'd also like to see more bus routes and the additional freeways that were promised, including improvements to some of the existing freeways. The problem is not only the cost, but the broken promises, cutbacks, delays, and lame excuses that we constantly hear about why these things aren't moving forward.
When you write about broken promises, budget problems, and things not moving forward are you meaning the entire mass transit system or certain agencies?

RPTA and ADOT are totally separate from each other and the RPTA should be praised for how successful light rail has been.

Based on ridership figures there is obviously a demand for light rail, and if you want to see the service expanded like you wrote then you should vote for it.

ADOT is another story, lots of poor management going on but we have to remember it's a state agency and it can only do what it can with the funds allotted.

As you probably know the government in this state is based on a cut-and-slash mentality, the republican-dominated legislature and governor thrive on cutting education and transportation, and pushing through clownish bills relating to guns and abortion.

Old 03-31-2015, 09:16 PM

23,402 posts, read 29,286,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HTY483 View Post
Agreed. Our system is a joke compared to neighboring cities L.A., San Diego and Denver and Phoenix is much larger than the two latter cities. I still cant figure out why we turned down the elevated ValTrans system back in the 90's.
The biggest joke of all, is your neighbor to the NW, Las Vegas, a city that doesn't even have any light rail plans on the drawing boards! Not even a plan to extend our existing "kiddie monorail tourist train" from the MGM, to the Airport, 2 miles away!

Lucky Phoenix, you don't have Las Vegas' corrupt, all-powerful, mob-like tax unions to battle with!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area