Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-10-2015, 02:00 PM

1,424 posts, read 2,489,797 times

Advertisements

Hi Y'all,

So I'm helping my sister with a little bit of research. She will be moving to Gilbert end of April. Currently she has a job as a medical assistant in Orange County, but she was able to secure a job in central Phoenix for a bus parts distribution company (hopefully it goes well). She is moving out with my niece that just turned 4 this past March.

Questions:

1. Does Arizona have much in assistance for single mothers? She will be making $15/hr, full time with benefits. Under CA standards that isn't much, but according to a cousin out there, that is pretty good for AZ standards and therefore she probably wouldn't qualify for any state assistance.

2. What are her childcare options in the private realm? Childcare is really expensive in CA, to that point that a good amount of an income of single mother ends up going to just paying childcare. I'm not sure how AZ compares.

3. What type of school programs are there for 4 years old? Are there any available in the summer?

4. She plans to return back to school, most likely nursing. How are community colleges and universities out there with single moms? I know some CC's out here in CA do have childcare for students while they are in classes, but not all of them. Basically it is on a school by school basis.

Thankfully we have lots of family out there, and they will help her with my niece as much as possible, but she doesn't want to depend on them.

All responses appreciated, but definitely value those of single mom's (or dad's) that have been through or are in a similar situation living within the greater Phoenix area.

Thanks ahead of time!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2015, 02:58 PM

1,567 posts, read 1,958,253 times
I don't know about assistance, probably at least healthcare.

I will be honest, $15/hour is going to be very tough, especially in Gilbert, unless she is living with family.

I am paying $148 weekly for childcare at a very good preschool for a 3 year old, I can send you the name of the place if you want. I know DES has a childcare program, not sure what it takes to qualify though.

Gilbert public schools offers a very reasonably cost preschool program for 4 year olds, but it only runs during the school year, not the summer.

The community college program does have a very good nursing program, however their is a LONG waiting list. My sister in law waited 2 years to get into the program. Their are a lot of other nursing school options but they are a little pricey. On the bright side, my SIL had a job lined up 1 week after graduating. They can't hire nurses fast enough here.

Old 04-10-2015, 03:16 PM

1,424 posts, read 2,489,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajonesaz View Post
I don't know about assistance, probably at least healthcare.

I will be honest, $15/hour is going to be very tough, especially in Gilbert, unless she is living with family.

I am paying $148 weekly for childcare at a very good preschool for a 3 year old, I can send you the name of the place if you want. I know DES has a childcare program, not sure what it takes to qualify though.

Gilbert public schools offers a very reasonably cost preschool program for 4 year olds, but it only runs during the school year, not the summer.

The community college program does have a very good nursing program, however their is a LONG waiting list. My sister in law waited 2 years to get into the program. Their are a lot of other nursing school options but they are a little pricey. On the bright side, my SIL had a job lined up 1 week after graduating. They can't hire nurses fast enough here.
$148 is below average in price range in OC...but, nonetheless, still a major expense @_@. But, yes, Ill appreciate any names/information so she can start comparing programs and prices and doing the math for her expected expenses.

She will be living with family until she gets adjusted, saves more money and finds a place within her price range. Though if she starts going to school, they told her she can stay with them for longer. It will ultimately be up to her and how much privacy she minds sacrificing so she can get ahead in the long term.

Yeah, the programs over here have a long wait list too. Not sure if 2 years as well...but dang, that's a good while! aha. I guess it gives her time to work on general ED courses.

Old 04-14-2015, 09:01 PM

386 posts, read 327,443 times
Assistance? Really? Why don't you assist her with financial help? She is your family.

Old 04-15-2015, 11:45 AM

4,071 posts, read 5,151,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajonesaz View Post
They can't hire nurses fast enough here.
Correction: They can't hire BSN's fast enough here. If you have your associates...you will be waiting a while unless you are already working for a hospital in another capacity.

Old 04-15-2015, 11:26 PM

770 posts, read 838,112 times
If someone is moving here they should be able to stand on their own two feet and not seek out public assistance. Hell all these transplants are bad enough, but all we need are transplants we have to support too.

Old 04-16-2015, 10:10 AM

1,567 posts, read 1,958,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TempeAZnative View Post
If someone is moving here they should be able to stand on their own two feet and not seek out public assistance. Hell all these transplants are bad enough, but all we need are transplants we have to support too.
If she is moving here to better herself than I am a little softer on the issue. Assistancs is supposed to be a hand up not a hand out. If she graduates in a few years she should be making $50-60k so she should pay pack all of the assistance she used fairly quickly through payroll taxes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
View detailed profiles of: