Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2015, 06:49 PM

1,077 posts, read 2,089,545 times

Advertisements

Mosquitos have a 3 mile range. Good luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2015, 09:33 PM

2,449 posts, read 2,608,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
... Get those bites while you are young and can develop an immunity.
I've never heard of that line of thinking for West Nile? WHO | West Nile virus

Old 05-04-2015, 10:42 PM

47 posts, read 89,266 times
We spent 4 weeks in North Scottsdale last summer and never saw a mosquito. We are moving to Phoenix from Michigan in September. I will cry if there are mosquitoes to contend with in Arizona. Ours are about the size of sparrows and make summers miserable. I would think in the Phoenix area, places with grass (sprinklers) would attract Mosquitos.

Old 05-05-2015, 01:02 AM

551 posts, read 695,035 times
I've already got ten bites on my legs. It has already begun.

Old 05-05-2015, 06:53 AM

770 posts, read 839,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
Ive been seeing skeeters in the house since February already. This year is gonna SUCK if our monsoon storms are bad like they were last year. We didnt stop seeing mosquitos until almost December last year, after the last two monsoon storms. Ive been chewed up last week, sitting outside on our patio at night.
The last 2 storms were not monsoon storms. The monsoon is the seasonal change in winds and you need 3 days of 55 degree dew points for it to be official(old school), and that won't happen til July.

Old 05-05-2015, 06:57 AM

39,107 posts, read 51,328,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hopsonkl View Post
We spent 4 weeks in North Scottsdale last summer and never saw a mosquito. We are moving to Phoenix from Michigan in September. I will cry if there are mosquitoes to contend with in Arizona. Ours are about the size of sparrows and make summers miserable. I would think in the Phoenix area, places with grass (sprinklers) would attract Mosquitos.
I've spent 40 years here and have had about 1 bite a year or less. They seem to like certain people more, but even so, I get bit up good when I visit Michigan. Mosquitoes are so bad they drive you indoors in the evening. It is hard to sit by the campfire without being doused in enough DEET that you are flammable.

That is just not the case here, for the most part. So, I just don't get threads like this one. My experience has been that there are some around for a few weeks in July and August - at dusk and dawn - and it depends a lot on just where you live. We had late summer flooding rains this year and so there were more and longer than usual. But even then it is NOT Michigan. Maybe people have never been to a place where they really do have mosquitoes bad or they have just forgotten what it is like to be harassed by bugs including biting flies and gnats every time you go outside. The OP's description, too, does not sound like mosquito bites. He's got mites or ants or something.

Old 05-05-2015, 07:09 AM

7,196 posts, read 9,268,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by More Rock View Post
I had exterminators out three times. They only ruled out bedbugs and guessed maybe it was mites or spider mites, but found no evidence of crawling bugs. I figured finally out it had to be mosquitoes. Bites on the ankles, legs, wrists and neck. This year I drop the A/C down, and wear bed clothing that covers arms and legs, plus use Cutter spray!
Don't forget fleas.

Old 05-05-2015, 07:18 AM

498 posts, read 544,517 times
Mosquitoes and snow in Phoenix are two things you rarely see.

Old 05-05-2015, 08:04 AM

8,390 posts, read 11,622,157 times
It depends where you live like most things in the valley. Some areas have more mosquitoes than others depending on canals, washes, man made lakes, ponds, neighbors, etc. Just like other pest we have, some will swear they never see them and some will be swimming in them.
The only thing we've ever agreed on is the heat, but even then a hot day to one is a cool day to another. lol

Do what you can to clear your own yard of water, rub yourself down with lemon eucalyptus leaves and put a fan on your patio(they can't fly into wind). If they get you while you sleep put a fan pointing over you and they can't land on you. It's a natural solution.
Good luck!

Old 05-05-2015, 08:06 AM

8,390 posts, read 11,622,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by locolobo13 View Post
Don't forget fleas.
We don't have fleas in Phoenix. lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area