Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2015, 06:09 PM

2,619 posts, read 2,345,190 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elcajones View Post
I went about a whole freaking month without washing the truck. Got it detailed yesterday afternoon after coming up from job walks in Tucson.
OF COURSE IT RAINS TODAY! fml
How do you go a month without washing a car around here!? It must be silver colored?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2015, 06:55 PM

39,106 posts, read 51,313,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewdog_5 View Post
How do you go a month without washing a car around here!? It must be silver colored?
I haven't washed my truck in at least a year. The one before that, I don't think I ever washed in the 7 years I owned it. It did get washed occasionally when I took it in for service. That one was white - they never look dirty. The current one is dark and always looks dirty so what is the point?

Old 05-08-2015, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
I haven't washed my truck in at least a year. The one before that, I don't think I ever washed in the 7 years I owned it. It did get washed occasionally when I took it in for service. That one was white - they never look dirty. The current one is dark and always looks dirty so what is the point?
The point is the keep it looking nice if it's a nice car and not having crap ruining your paint! If you never washed it I assume you never waxed it?!?! I'm about to have a coronary!

LOL.

Old 05-08-2015, 07:28 PM

770 posts, read 839,123 times
Quote:
Same boat here I haven't washed my car in 3 years it's red and it never looks dirty. Hell when it rains hard I just drive around the block for a free wash.

Old 05-08-2015, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TempeAZnative View Post
Same boat here I haven't washed my car in 3 years it's red and it never looks dirty. Hell when it rains hard I just drive around the block for a free wash.
There has to be some fading on paint that isn't washed and waxed a few times a year in this heat right?! Or even clear coat being worn down?

And I know, some of us are anal about our cars. I understand those who aren't as it takes up a lot of my time, although I do enjoy having a nice looking ride. But I've never heard of going years without washing a car! I might not sleep tonight! LOL

Old 05-08-2015, 08:12 PM

Quote:
There has to be some fading on paint that isn't washed and waxed a few times a year in this heat right?! Or even clear coat being worn down?

And I know, some of us are anal about our cars. I understand those who aren't as it takes up a lot of my time, although I do enjoy having a nice looking ride. But I've never heard of going years without washing a car! I might not sleep tonight! LOL
My white one held up well. It shined like the day I bought it when I took it for a trade. But white is virtually indestructible even in the heat. If one can stand the horizontal appliance look, then its the color to go with for AZ. My new one is a metallic "blend". I am a little more concerned about it getting those big patches I see on the Toyotas and such as time goes on. But whether waxing it would help, I don't know. It does show the dust, that's for sure. It looks a lot better after a rain, though. I probably won't bother washing it very much.

I know there are people who are anal about their cars. My best friend from years back was that way - washed his Beemer at least once a week, used clay bars, detailed the inside. It killed him to ride around in my truck with mud (from an off road trip months earlier) in the fenderwells.

Old 05-08-2015, 08:21 PM

Quote:
My white one held up well. It shined like the day I bought it when I took it for a trade. But white is virtually indestructible even in the heat. If one can stand the horizontal appliance look, then its the color to go with for AZ. My new one is a metallic "blend". I am a little more concerned about it getting those big patches I see on the Toyotas and such as time goes on. But whether waxing it would help, I don't know. It does show the dust, that's for sure. It looks a lot better after a rain, though. I probably won't bother washing it very much.

I know there are people who are anal about their cars. My best friend from years back was that way - washed his Beemer at least once a week, used clay bars, detailed the inside. It killed him to ride around in my truck with mud in the fenderwells.
Yes, waxing will help keep contaminants from contacting your paint as much and provides UV protection from the heat/sun. Removing particles helps decrease micro-marring, swirls and scratches. Those with fading or big patches of missing paint are from those who don't take care of their paint. I see it tons here in Phoenix. That's just from being lazy and likely those without garages. Not washing and waxing will do that! I just sold a 15 year old car I owned and the paint was as clear and shiny as the day I got it. Half life garaged and half life without. People couldn't believe the paint on the car, but I also know what I am doing and don't neglect it.

Dust here is hard to avoid. My car will hold dust after just a few days at work. Being black doesn't help.

I sound like you're friend. I spent 8 hours last weekend fully detailing a car I just bought. That was only the outside. Luckily I only have to do that much work a few times a year.

Old 05-08-2015, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Yes, waxing will help keep contaminants from contacting your paint as much and provides UV protection from the heat/sun. Removing particles helps decrease micro-marring, swirls and scratches. Those with fading or big patches of missing paint are from those who don't take care of their paint. I see it tons here in Phoenix. That's just from being lazy and likely those without garages. Not washing and waxing will do that! I just sold a 15 year old car I owned and the paint was as clear and shiny as the day I got it. Half life garaged and half life without. People couldn't believe the paint on the car, but I also know what I am doing and don't neglect it.

Dust here is hard to avoid. My car will hold dust after just a few days at work. Being black doesn't help.

I sound like you're friend. I spent 8 hours last weekend fully detailing a car I just bought. That was only the outside. Luckily I only have to do that much work a few times a year.
My friend was not only anal about his car, LOL. His hair was perfect, shoes always shined, nails manicured. He had his closets all organized by style, color, everything hung the same way. We got along well inspite of our differences that way. He married and moved away some years ago. I bet he drove his wife nuts.

Back to cars. Unfortunately my truck is too big for the garage. My neighbor has a big tree that casts shade on it in the afternoon and that helps. The trick is to get close enough for early shade without being bombed by the birds.

I'll bet it is frustrating being a clean car fanatic here in 'zona. The dust is ever-freaking-where and when it rains it's often not much more than flying mud. Then again, salty roads are no picnic either.

Old 05-08-2015, 09:07 PM

770 posts, read 839,123 times
Quote:

nope but then again I'm not anal and give zero ****s if there is dirt on my car. It started a few years ago when I stopped worrying about a little dirt during the monsoon dust storms. I know people who obsess on it no reason to bother.

Old 05-08-2015, 10:31 PM

2,806 posts, read 3,184,507 times
Quote:

My semi-scientific philosophy is that a good coat of durst is a good UV protection. Seriously, dust and sand are good filters for UV light. We just have to make sure it's a complete coat and that will protect as much as expensive wax It does help that our car is always in the garage though. I do not like the faded paint here in AZ and equally bad the misted head lights. I think that's really something to avoid or replace the headlights when they are misted from the inside, just for the safety aspect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area