Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-14-2015, 10:22 AM

87 posts, read 139,132 times

Advertisements

The neighborhood is Scottsdale Haciendas, east Roosevelt and granite reef road. Seems to be older homes but I like that it has a Scottsdale address and scottsdale schools. I am concerned about the trailer park just south and also the proximity to Tempe which is too college for me.

Would you live here with kids for a quiet and safe life?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2015, 10:30 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,417,255 times
South Scottsdale has a lower income demographic, but it's fine. IIRC, someone I used to know lives there, and he wouldn't live anywhere that wasn't generally safe. I would not worry about a trailer park just because it's a trailer park. You won't have any influence from the ASU area over there, either. I will say, just for the record, that you know very little about Tempe as a whole if you think the whole city is "too college". But, that's for another discussion.

Old 05-14-2015, 10:36 AM

87 posts, read 139,132 times
By lower income, do you mean poor and trashy or do you just mean lower middle class
I make like $45k so I guess that's lower income

And yeah I have been to Tempe and you feel the ASU influence and also Mill Ave is a big turn off.

It's a decent place for families? What's the neighborhood like? I just don't want somewhere ghetto with tweakers, loiterers bums and such and I don't want to be in a barrio.

Old 05-14-2015, 11:04 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,417,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mass hole in Cali View Post
By lower income, do you mean poor and trashy or do you just mean lower middle class

And yeah I have been to Tempe and you feel the ASU influence and also Mill Ave is a big turn off.

It's a decent place for families? What's the neighborhood like? I just don't want somewhere ghetto with tweakers, loiterers bums and such and I don't want to be in a barrio.
No, I don't mean poor and trashy, I mean lower income, lower middle class. (Particularly compared with other parts of Scottsdale). Nor is that area "ghetto" (my least favorite term on C-D) or a barrio.

I think that area is fine, as I said. It's often suggested that one visit an area at different times (daytime, weekends, nights) to get a feel for what it is like.

I suspect you haven't been below Broadway, or maybe Southern, in Tempe, if you don't like Mill Avenue or the immediate ASU area and can "feel the ASU influence" when you go to Tempe. But, that's another topic, and as I said, the area you are looking at is not going to be affected by ASU.

Old 05-14-2015, 09:56 PM

4,235 posts, read 14,063,176 times
obs 53 is being very polite.....

Tempe is MUCH more than ASU....it has many square miles, only a very few of which in one corner of the city seem influenced by the school....check out south Tempe.....

as suggested, you do need to simply hang out in Scottsdale Haciendas at all different times of the day and days of the week....walk around...are yards neat and seem well-kept?....do residents seem to have pride in their neighborhood?....kids playing around?....cars up on blocks?....sofas on the front porch?....homes maintained?....trash blowing around?....

crime can happen anywhere, you know....

spend time there and get a feel for the vibe....drop in at the local Circle K.....

Old 05-14-2015, 10:18 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,319,598 times
I read an article about South Scottsdale in Phoenix magazine once and they recommended it as Scottsdale schools without the fashionistas many people don't like about Scottsdale. Yes, the home stock is older and many in the ranch style, which many young families and retirees favor today, as they tend to be smaller homes on bigger lots than you'll find in newer developments in North Scottsdale that jam in big homes cheek to jowl. Their research showed that a lot of educators lived in the area and ASU staff members who are on the lower pay scale than profs and administrators who can afford to live in the areas closest to ASU. They also touted access to Papago Park as a huge plus for walking, bicycling, hiking, playgrounds, etc. Phoenix Zoo is there, too.

Old 05-16-2015, 02:51 AM

683 posts, read 853,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mass hole in Cali View Post

Ok. You really have to watch who you ask about areas in Phoenix. Some people don't know what low income and a ghetto neighborhood is. I mean what they call the ghetto here would be a decent neighborhood in Miami. lol

I live in South Scottsdale. I'm in the Miller and E. McDowell area. It's the furthest from low income. It's like five minutes from Tempe Marketplace. Good place to dine and shop. I thought about buying a condo down the street from where I am staying, but I decided to move to North Phoenix to live in a house.

Old 05-16-2015, 03:45 PM

10 posts, read 47,034 times
I've lived in south Scottsdale for the past 10 years, not far from the area you described, I love it. Great location, close to the 101 & 202, close to old town Scottsdale and Tempe Marketplace. It is a lower demographic than north/central Scottsdale but for the most part there are lots of good people in the area, the schools are good and it's affordable. I have never not felt safe here. I do see a few homeless people now and again but you see them everywhere nowadays in most of Phoenix.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area