Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2015, 04:06 PM

4,624 posts, read 9,285,716 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
Some people are OK with strict budgeting, waiting for the next check to come in and working until they are tired and wrinkled and others want to enjoy life. I'd rather be spending time with friends and family than cleaning a pool or pulling weeds. $100K in income for an average family is certainly livable but very modest. I have to travel and take vacations and do things that I enjoy which require funding. I work very hard to do so. That income wouldn't cut it for me.

Right, for me the question is "what is your time worth?". For me I think $100/hour is a minimum. If I have to go out and do yard work for an hour, it needs to save me $100 that someone else is getting to do it. My yard guys get $45 so I come out ahead.

Today instead of doing yardwork, I went to the park and practiced baseball with my son, then we went for a swim in the pool now I'm watching college baseball. Suppose I could have been doing chores instead but thanks to cheap labor I'm not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2015, 04:07 PM

755 posts, read 676,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asufan View Post
Here's the thinking:

1. We have 2 kids, staying in a suite is preferred because they go to sleep earlier, staying in one room with everyone is not what I want to do, been there, done that.

2. We want to stay at a Disneyland Hotel because you get into the park earlier and can get a lot done in that hour with no crowds, plus they are much more convenient to the parks, restaurants, monorail and the Grand Californian where we are staying has it's own entrance.

Very convenient

Is it worth the extra money? I think so. Still nowhere near as expensive as a trip to Europe for example but we paid more for a little convenience and luxury. If you look at rooms in that hotel, you'll see we could have spent much, much more. Not an extravagant trip, but I could have definitely done it on more of a budget, still probably would come close to $3K

3. I am in debt on purpose because the cost of money is so cheap now. I do not have a negative net worth, I have the cash to pay off my primary residence and rentals if I wanted to, but at 3.5%, why??
Ahh!!!!That's why you make 350k....very smart man! If you have good credit, you make money with other people's money; easiest thing in the world to do!!

Old 06-13-2015, 04:09 PM

498 posts, read 543,997 times
Quote:
Don't get your adult diapers in a bunch
I'm 49. I'm sure you've been filling your Depends for a while now.

Old 06-13-2015, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKWildcat1981 View Post
My sister lives in Scottsdale and while some parts of Scottsdale are for the rich and famous like pro athletes its a huge town with some middle class parts as well that are affordable. Paradise Valley is more for the super rich. Scottsdale has every type of race, age, religious affiliation, every socio economic resident except for the lower middle class to broke extreme poverty type, you can live in Scottsdale on a middle class salary 40-60 k a year. Its a myth that all of Scottsdale is for the rich.
This post is on topic, what the heck is it doing on this thread?

Old 06-13-2015, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Right, for me the question is "what is your time worth?". For me I think $100/hour is a minimum. If I have to go out and do yard work for an hour, it needs to save me $100 that someone else is getting to do it. My yard guys get $45 so I come out ahead.

Today instead of doing yardwork, I went to the park and practiced baseball with my son, then we went for a swim in the pool now I'm watching college baseball. Suppose I could have been doing chores instead but thanks to cheap labor I'm not.

Karate, then dance, then the Fox and the Hound with my little girl. That's why I was able to post so many times....

Gotta give my dog some love now

Old 06-13-2015, 07:07 PM

555 posts, read 863,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Java Jolt View Post
There are even more affordable areas in other parts of the valley where you can find similar quality, size, style, and decent neighborhoods as you would in Scottsdale.

Prices are higher in Scottsdale because of the prestige associated with having a Scottsdale address.
Prestige? Who even thinks that anymore? I live in old town and never do i see anything that would be associated with 'prestige'. Maybe north scottsdale. Old town and south scottsdale? no way.

Old 06-13-2015, 08:58 PM

8,045 posts, read 12,281,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKWildcat1981 View Post
My sister lives in Scottsdale and while some parts of Scottsdale are for the rich and famous like pro athletes its a huge town with some middle class parts as well that are affordable. Paradise Valley is more for the super rich. Scottsdale has every type of race, age, religious affiliation, every socio economic resident except for the lower middle class to broke extreme poverty type, you can live in Scottsdale on a middle class salary 40-60 k a year. Its a myth that all of Scottsdale is for the rich.
Well said! Scottsdale has a reputation of being snooty because it generally attracts a higher income crowd, has some top notch hotels/resorts, and is home to some celebrities, but it's not another Beverly Hills like some have stated. Scottsdale is both a Phoenix suburb and a city of its own because of it being diverse. South Scottsdale definitely isn't a wealthy area, in fact it's more working class than anything else. I will say that not having any impoverished or ghetto type neighborhoods to speak of helps make Scottsdale more desirable.

Old 06-13-2015, 09:39 PM

69 posts, read 77,246 times
Well were buying a home that is $300,000. Our take home right now is $7400. Finally found a home and seller accepted our offer. Now on to all the fun waiting before we can move in in August.

Old 06-14-2015, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorgirlUtah View Post
Well were buying a home that is $300,000. Our take home right now is $7400. Finally found a home and seller accepted our offer. Now on to all the fun waiting before we can move in in August.
Congrats and where did you buy? Btw, if you are making just over 100k, how are you bringing how so much?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area