Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2015, 04:44 PM

5,649 posts, read 5,978,180 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by locolobo13 View Post
It's also different for different people. When my brother go for a hike, he will sometimes get more than a dozen bites while I get none.
Nah, its fair game at my place. Friends, neighbors, family members... theyre all preyed upon equally.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2015, 07:20 PM

5,229 posts, read 4,621,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
Nah, its fair game at my place. Friends, neighbors, family members... theyre all preyed upon equally.
Equal opportunity blood suckers.

Old 06-08-2015, 07:29 PM

7,068 posts, read 6,481,447 times
Zero bites here, not even the tell-tale mosquito buzz in the ear. The irony is like Ponderosa, I live in Estrella with 2 decent size lakes nearby, lots of areas where water can pool for a bit in the washes after a big rain, etc. Go figure.

Old 06-08-2015, 07:58 PM

8,390 posts, read 11,619,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magnum0417 View Post
I am a nature and weather lover and know that normal monsoons require extended periods of the Four Corners High allowing our typical 105-115 in June to force up the moisture from Mexico. These mild temps shall we say I am wondering how that may delay our true monsoon season from beginning until maybe late July (3-4 weeks later than usual).

May was a continuation of our winter pattern of Pacific lows so again, predict monsoon season will be significantly delayed.
They do forecast a hotter than normal July and August and a lare starting monsoon. So, you are probably correct.

Old 06-09-2015, 04:31 AM

8,590 posts, read 12,375,643 times
I drove out from the Midwest to Chandler with my son about 10 days ago. I had an early flight out of Phoenix on June 5. It was raining all the way to the airport from Chandler. I was amazed. I am used to thunderstorms, etc. but there was something different about seeing one there. The driver said it was the first time he ever remembered it raining in June. I was looking at the weather reports a few days later and was stunned to find out it was the first recorded rain for that date.

The storm caused some delays at the airport, and we sat on the tarmac for about 30 minutes waiting to take off.

Oddly enough when we came out in March to find son a place to live it also rained. A few people mentioned that was unusual also.

If you want some rain, perhaps a few of you can pay for me to fly out? I seem to bring it with me.

Old 06-09-2015, 08:39 AM

5,649 posts, read 5,978,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrah View Post

Oddly enough when we came out in March to find son a place to live it also rained. A few people mentioned that was unusual also.
Its not unusual to rain in March. June? Yes, its our driest month. Come July, August, and September, we get quite a bit of rain (for Phoenix), but our rainiest time of the year is winter.

Old 06-09-2015, 02:38 PM

1,798 posts, read 3,026,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
Unbelievable, but true. On Friday (June 5th), a late Pacific storm system moved in, and was enhanced by tropical moisture from a weakening tropical cyclone near Baja, CA. The combination of the two brought thundershowers to the Phoenix area, which is so rare for this time of year that it had never previously rained on June 5th until this year! Sky Harbor officially recorded 0.16 inch, but many other Valley locations reported much higher amounts. And with more rain in the forecast for the middle of this week, this June could go in the record books for being one of the wettest on record (especially considering that our average June rainfall is just 0.02 inch for the entire month).

May also set some rainfall records. On May 15th, Sky Harbor officially recorded 0.93 inch of rain, which not only was a record for the date, but a record for the month. Even though it only rained twice during the whole month, it turned out to be the second wettest May on record with a total rainfall amount of 1.17 inches. This is impressive considering that May receives just 0.11 inch on average. The weather we have been having lately is quite unusual, but a welcome change considering this is normally a very dry time of year. The good news is that it should help put a damper on the fire season.
A welcome change It feels nasty and sticky out there. I'm going to have to find a drier desert if this is the new pattern. Maybe the Mojave desert.

Old 06-09-2015, 02:54 PM

17,915 posts, read 43,462,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by New Horizons View Post
A welcome change It feels nasty and sticky out there. I'm going to have to find a drier desert if this is the new pattern. Maybe the Mojave desert.
Today is a temporary situation thanks to the remnants of what was once Hurricane Bianca. The official monsoon season, while it starts June 15, may not actually show the afternoon thunderstorm threat, and increased humidity from the normal dry to something still a lot less than they see in the East and Midwest, until a bit later in the summer. There's nothing "new" here.

Old 06-09-2015, 03:27 PM

9,480 posts, read 12,312,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
Today is a temporary situation thanks to the remnants of what was once Hurricane Bianca. The official monsoon season, while it starts June 15, may not actually show the afternoon thunderstorm threat, and increased humidity from the normal dry to something still a lot less than they see in the East and Midwest, until a bit later in the summer. There's nothing "new" here.
I thought it felt nice out there at lunch! I miss humidity and this is the first time I have felt any since leaving the Midwest! It's great for your skin, enjoy it! LOL

Old 06-09-2015, 03:34 PM

5,229 posts, read 4,621,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by locolobo13 View Post
It's also different for different people. When my brother go for a hike, he will sometimes get more than a dozen bites while I get none.
Do mosquitos only go after certain people? Per WebMD:
Mosquito Magnets: Who/What Attracts Mosquitoes?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area