Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2018, 02:31 PM

525 posts, read 280,257 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
Absolutely, and the storms we had this past week (as well as the ones in May) were not even remotely associated with the monsoon, even though they acted somewhat like it with the lightning shows & all. I don't know how familiar you are with Phoenix's or Arizona's weather history, but this June is starting out to be like one in 1972 with similar weather patterns: Pacific disturbances that help bring up the moisture from tropical cyclones further south, and the Pacific hurricane season is quite active and early this year just like it was in '72. That June was one for the record books: not only was it the wettest on record, but there was an outbreak of tornadoes around the middle of the month that caused considerable damage in parts of Scottsdale & Paradise Valley. Definitely a rarity for June, and for Phoenix in general to have storms like that!
What was ironic about that unusually wet June in 1972 was that the first five months of the year were almost completely dry across the entire state. Phoenix has its longest dry spell on record end on June 7th after having seen no measurable rain since December 29th, 1971. This added up to a 160-day long rainless spell. At Sky Harbor, June 1972 officially saw 1.7 inches of rain, with 1.37 inches alone falling on the 22nd. The previous wettest June had been in 1955 with 0.95 inches. 0.92 of those inches fell on the 12th that year. Both June 1955 and June 1972 were unusual and freakish storms in their own right. No deaths were reported with the 1972 storm, but in 1955, rain slicked roads unfortunately led to tragedy as three people lost control of their cars, and were killed instantly upon impact.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2018, 03:49 PM

525 posts, read 280,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
Absolutely, and the storms we had this past week (as well as the ones in May) were not even remotely associated with the monsoon, even though they acted somewhat like it with the lightning shows & all. I don't know how familiar you are with Phoenix's or Arizona's weather history, but this June is starting out to be like one in 1972 with similar weather patterns: Pacific disturbances that help bring up the moisture from tropical cyclones further south, and the Pacific hurricane season is quite active and early this year just like it was in '72. That June was one for the record books: not only was it the wettest on record, but there was an outbreak of tornadoes around the middle of the month that caused considerable damage in parts of Scottsdale & Paradise Valley. Definitely a rarity for June, and for Phoenix in general to have storms like that!
I did find out how many tornadoes were associated with that unusually wet June. There were seven tornadoes that touched down in Arizona over the course of the month, with six of them on the afternoon of the 21st alone. The other one took place on the 13th. Surprisingly, there were no tornadoes on the morning of the 22nd. Guess there was only the torrential rains that day. It is indeed very rare for Arizona to have tornadoes, especially during the months May and June which are usually bone dry.

Old 05-19-2018, 03:56 PM

9,894 posts, read 22,047,481 times
I love the rain.

Old 05-22-2018, 08:44 AM

54,498 posts, read 33,889,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SawuScimitar74 View Post
What was ironic about that unusually wet June in 1972 was that the first five months of the year were almost completely dry across the entire state. Phoenix has its longest dry spell on record end on June 7th after having seen no measurable rain since December 29th, 1971. This added up to a 160-day long rainless spell. At Sky Harbor, June 1972 officially saw 1.7 inches of rain, with 1.37 inches alone falling on the 22nd. The previous wettest June had been in 1955 with 0.95 inches. 0.92 of those inches fell on the 12th that year. Both June 1955 and June 1972 were unusual and freakish storms in their own right. No deaths were reported with the 1972 storm, but in 1955, rain slicked roads unfortunately led to tragedy as three people lost control of their cars, and were killed instantly upon impact.
I remember the June 1972 heavy rains and flooding we had, I was 15 back then and I remember riding my bike through flooded streets, back then we lived around 3rd Ave & Highland (just south of Camelback Rd) and many homes within a block or two of the canal were flooded.

Old 05-22-2018, 08:56 AM

262 posts, read 202,922 times
When I first moved here, I was told the summer would be rained out...

I hate being lied too....

Old 05-22-2018, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyDwyer480 View Post
When I first moved here, I was told the summer would be rained out...

I hate being lied too....
LOL.. Well, it's a desert, what did you expect?

Typically, late July and August (Monsoon Season) are fairly wet, or at least they used to be up until recent years. The so-called "Heat Island Dome" effect has a lot to do with keeping monsoon activity away from heavily developed areas, mostly because of all the concrete, asphalt, and other heat absorbing/reflecting surfaces. Overall, the further away you get from the developed areas, the more monsoon activity you'll see.

Old 05-22-2018, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum Mike View Post
LOL.. Well, it's a desert, what did you expect?

Typically, late July and August (Monsoon Season) are fairly wet, or at least they used to be up until recent years. The so-called "Heat Island Dome" effect has a lot to do with keeping monsoon activity away from heavily developed areas, mostly because of all the concrete, asphalt, and other heat absorbing/reflecting surfaces. Overall, the further away you get from the developed areas, the more monsoon activity you'll see.

I wasn’t surprised at the lack of rain, LOL.

However I WAS EXTREMELY surprised by how cold it could get in winter.
I was staying in the hostel in the downtown area off of Roosevelt when I said ‘I didn’t think a place that gets as hot as it gets would get as could as it gets’

One of the guys there said ‘oh you didn’t know it gets cold in the desert?’ I hadn’t done my own research at that point and felt stupid! LMAO.

Anyway the way I understand it the monsoon has just been weak the past few years. But it used to be worse/better depending on if you like rain or not.

Old 05-22-2018, 11:25 AM

17,915 posts, read 43,462,871 times
Quote:

I was staying in the hostel in the downtown area off of Roosevelt when I said ‘I didn’t think a place that gets as hot as it gets would get as could as it gets’

One of the guys there said ‘oh you didn’t know it gets cold in the desert?’ I hadn’t done my own research at that point and felt stupid! LMAO.

Anyway the way I understand it the monsoon has just been weak the past few years. But it used to be worse/better depending on if you like rain or not.

Indeed, Google would have been your friend on that winter issue.

Yes, the desert can get quite cold.

Monsoons were MUCH wetter decades ago, before the heat island blocked the train storms from coming in at all, or not until early morning. These days, wind and dust are the main components a lot of the time.

Old 05-22-2018, 11:37 AM

I don’t like comparing this place to where I am from very often. However, it would make me smile if I could see one of those good southern thunderstorms With the hours long hard rain and wind and hail and thunder and lightning. I absolutely love that.

When it does happen out here I tend to sit on the patio the entire time if I am able to

Old 05-22-2018, 12:26 PM

Quote:

I've also seen it snow here in the valley as well, but that's rare. The last time this happened was in February or March of 2013. Of course the snow didn't last on the ground for too long, but it's still a sight to see a saguaro cactus covered in snow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area