Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2015, 05:03 PM

9,480 posts, read 12,301,155 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungle View Post
What? Cardinals games always sell out. You couldn't be more clueless.

The Cardinals play 8 home games, the Coyotes play about 5 times that much. Getting to Glendale 8 times in a season is more reasonable than expecting hockey fans to do the same over 30 times (41 if they hit every home game in the 2014-2015 season). With NHL games on Tuesdays and Thursdays, it's just not realistic to do that unless you already live in Glendale or west. I have left for a 7:30 Coyotes game at 5:30 and still missed the face off. It just takes that long that time of night.

By comparison the Cardinals play at home so infrequently, it's bound to be something NFL fans make sure to plan for. I could go to 8 NHL games no problem (I think I made it to 5 or 6 last season), but I would go to many more if it wasn't such a hassle to get there.

Old 06-16-2015, 08:30 PM

5,429 posts, read 4,464,776 times
Phoenix shouldn't have had an NHL team to begin with. The NHL has put too many teams in warm weather markets that should not have hockey.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2015, 08:46 PM

2,096 posts, read 3,811,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ312 View Post
Phoenix shouldn't have had an NHL team to begin with. The NHL has put too many teams in warm weather markets that should not have hockey.

Tell that to Tampa was just in the finals and will be a contender for years to come and also LA who's won the Cup twice in the last 5 years. It has nothing to do with warm weather climates,Glendale is a lousy location for a sport with 40+ home games a year. There's no hockey history there like in the original 6 cities and people there aren't willing to drive that far to support a losing team.

The Yotes had good players,Vermette just won the Cup with the Hawks and scored 2 huge game winning goals. The team has always been mis-managed, between the owners and the city they never had a chance. Maybe sharing an arena downtown with the Suns would help but who's going to foot the bill for it and roll the dice it works out?

Old 06-16-2015, 09:24 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,435,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
The Cardinals play 8 home games, the Coyotes play about 5 times that much. Getting to Glendale 8 times in a season is more reasonable than expecting hockey fans to do the same over 30 times (41 if they hit every home game in the 2014-2015 season). With NHL games on Tuesdays and Thursdays, it's just not realistic to do that unless you already live in Glendale or west. I have left for a 7:30 Coyotes game at 5:30 and still missed the face off. It just takes that long that time of night.

By comparison the Cardinals play at home so infrequently, it's bound to be something NFL fans make sure to plan for. I could go to 8 NHL games no problem (I think I made it to 5 or 6 last season), but I would go to many more if it wasn't such a hassle to get there.

First, football is a more popular sport. Second, they play only on the weekends, and, as you said, fewer games. It makes filling the seats and keeping a fan base, even through some lean years after Warner retired, easier. Getting to Glendale during the week is, in fact, a nightmare. 41 games, basically overlapping with the NBA (whose games are a lot easier to get to here) is a LOT. Hard to build a fan base.

Old 06-16-2015, 09:47 PM

9,480 posts, read 12,301,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
First, football is a more popular sport. Second, they play only on the weekends, and, as you said, fewer games. It makes filling the seats and keeping a fan base, even through some lean years after Warner retired, easier. Getting to Glendale during the week is, in fact, a nightmare. 41 games, basically overlapping with the NBA (whose games are a lot easier to get to here) is a LOT. Hard to build a fan base.
Honestly I think the fanbase is mostly here. The games I attended were not empty. Make the games more accessible, and that will be a true testament to whether hockey can survive here

If it were a more reasonable drive, I'd attend a lot more games. Judging a fan base by local weather is ridiculous. A good chunk of people here are from cold climes and your love of hockey doesn't die because you move someplace that doesn't get cold. I'm a hockey fan from way back in the late 80s (I have an old school Blues jersey in my closet to prove it), and I'm thrilled that there is an nhl team here. If they were more accessible I'd go more often and I'm not alone

Old 06-16-2015, 10:12 PM

557 posts, read 737,472 times
Cardinals games are often empty ,not many fans here in the valley except when they play an opposing team like the Giants or Bears where you will see more fans of them then the Cardinals. No reason to keep that monstrosity of a flying saucer here in the desert with no real fan base

Old 06-16-2015, 10:49 PM

3,187 posts, read 5,746,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phxrider View Post
Cardinals games are often empty ,not many fans here in the valley except when they play an opposing team like the Giants or Bears where you will see more fans of them then the Cardinals. No reason to keep that monstrosity of a flying saucer here in the desert with no real fan base
You don't know what you are talking about. The Cardinals have a 93 game sellout streak.

http://arizonasports.com/40/1797074/Arizona-Cardinals-set-TV-viewership-records-in-2014

Old 06-17-2015, 08:58 AM

5,649 posts, read 5,970,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gixxer1K View Post
Tell that to Tampa was just in the finals and will be a contender for years to come and also LA who's won the Cup twice in the last 5 years.
It has nothing to do with player/team success, but rather the market as a whole. Tampa is the most successful hockey team in the south, and their support isnt as good as, say, Montreal's. Most of the time the arena is filled with opposing fans (same goes for PHX).

LA's support is all bandwagon. They arent there during bad years. Even when they won the Cup, their victory parade was pathetic. You see more support at a Little League parade, I swear.

And yes, the Yotes have had good players, many of which went to the Hawks (ie Boucher, Vermette, Khabibulin, etc). Thank you for sharing! lol

In all honesty, I think the Yotes should move downtown. Glendale is a crappy location for the stadium. I absolutely hate driving out there for games. Hate it!

Old 06-17-2015, 09:48 AM

233 posts, read 258,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ312 View Post
This kind of lazy thinking gets really old fast.

Old 06-17-2015, 09:50 AM

233 posts, read 258,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phxrider View Post
Empty? You have no idea what you are talking about. You must be stuck in the 1990's version of the Cardinals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area