Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2015, 02:38 PM

7,068 posts, read 6,481,447 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by asufan View Post
Not sure this is true at all. The majority of current development in housing and jobs are in the East Valley, and it is creeping further East past the Gateway Airport and into a huge planning area. It will be a looong time before the West Valley gets there. The pink area is where East Valley growth is going to be and it's a huge area being planned. It is way out there but they are starting to get employment around the airport such as Apple and I have a feeling this area will be hotter than Buckeye and Surprise due to the airport and employment growth.
We'll see who "wins" in the end. Seems there's plenty of growth to go around.

West Valley leads future residential growth; poised for commercial development - Independent Newspaper - West Valley

Besides the big growth in the west valley according to the 2010 census numbers, it does mention the area in the far southeast valley that you outlined in your post.

Census data: Arizona's growth driven by Phoenix, West Valley
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2015, 02:47 PM

4,624 posts, read 9,289,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevek64 View Post
We'll see who "wins" in the end. Seems there's plenty of growth to go around.

West Valley leads future residential growth; poised for commercial development - Independent Newspaper - West Valley

Besides the big growth in the west valley according to the 2010 census numbers, it does mention the area in the far southeast valley that you outlined in your post.

Census data: Arizona's growth driven by Phoenix, West Valley
Yeah I'm paid by clients for my opinion on Real Estate, housing and development just like that guy apparently is, difference is he is writing for a West Valley free paper like the pennysaver. I just have a different opinion than him and have not seen any evidence of the West Valley getting any quality jobs. If we start seeing the West side getting things like Intel, etc (and they could), then I could see growth shifting. I think at the very least it will be neck and neck between those two areas, I don't see the West Valley leading growth far and away for a long time. Regardless, the 101 price/pima corridor is the hot area right now for good jobs and housing demand, therefore putting a stadium somewhere between there and downtown phx would be ideal IMO.

Old 06-11-2015, 03:04 PM

39,106 posts, read 51,313,080 times
Quote:
Yeah I'm paid by clients for my opinion on Real Estate, housing and development just like that guy apparently is, difference is he is writing for a West Valley free paper like the pennysaver. I just have a different opinion than him and have not seen any evidence of the West Valley getting any quality jobs. If we start seeing the West side getting things like Intel, etc (and they could), then I could see growth shifting. I think at the very least it will be neck and neck between those two areas, I don't see the West Valley leading growth far and away for a long time. Regardless, the 101 price/pima corridor is the hot area right now for good jobs and housing demand, therefore putting a stadium somewhere between there and downtown phx would be ideal IMO.
Putting a stadium in Seattle would be ideal, IMO. Hockey has no future here.

Old 06-11-2015, 03:07 PM

4,624 posts, read 9,289,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Putting a stadium in Seattle would be ideal, IMO. Hockey has no future here.
Agreed. Except collegiate hockey I still remember some Coyote's reps going around the Pier 1 in Ahwatukee several years ago trying to get someone to take the free tickets. It was a lot of work.

Old 06-11-2015, 03:12 PM

39,106 posts, read 51,313,080 times
Quote:
Agreed. Except collegiate hockey I still remember some Coyote's reps going around the Pier 1 in Ahwatukee several years ago trying to get someone to take the free tickets. It was a lot of work.
You may be right, because it would be affordable. I used to go to RoadRunners games. We frequently had office parties at those games too. Doing that with the NHL games would be out of the question, I think. Hockey, like all the rest, is becoming a sport for the hedge fund managers. ASU hockey could catch on for people who have to have the ice fix on a budget.

Old 06-11-2015, 07:35 PM

2,852 posts, read 4,507,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
They are where they are because no other city wanted them enough to pay what Glendale did. Those places still don't want them with the kind of terms it would take to guarantee the investors the kind of return they want for the lack of investment they intend and the absent fan base. Hockey in Phoenix is just a dumb idea no matter where it is played. I have lived here over 40 years and have never heard anyone discussing our hockey prospects this year. Cardinals, Suns, Dbacks yes. Hockey, never. Men's figure skating gets more attention in the sports bars. Glendale should have cut their losses years ago and no Phoenix area city should be crazy enough to think they can make this work without mining the taxpayers for it.
Well-written.

NHL just doesn't have a huge following in the sunbelt, the Coyotes would be better off moving to Canada or to a northern city lacking a hockey team.

Glendale's loss could be another city's gain, and it was bound to be a losing deal the way Glendale handled everything.

Old 06-11-2015, 08:57 PM

784 posts, read 924,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevek64 View Post
I agree.

And I don't think taxpayers should be involved in the stadium building business.

Taxpayers on the hook for stadium costs
Tax payers shouldn't be on the hook for any dealings where gov officials are picking winners and losers....whats wrong with if its is a good idea it will attract investors....that also includes all the 100's of wasted billions in the so called green energy scam.

I would love to see a national law making it illegal for any city, state of federal group to provide tax payer money for any private held entities....its lunacy to pay a business to do anything...its that authority where elected officials get their power and money making opportunities....using tax payer dollars.

You can see almost every nationally elected figure enriching themselves either while they are in office or shortly after leaving.....and yet we tolerate it.

Old 06-11-2015, 09:44 PM

11 posts, read 11,051 times
The Coyotes will win the 200 million lawsuit , because if something was even wrong, you go to court and let the judges decide if the contract is illegal , Glendale's Mayor & council took the law in there own hands and broke the contract
they are not the judge. Since Phoenix is going to build a new Arena for the Suns now they will have a 2nd team and
Coyotes can play in US Airways Center until there arena is done, Glendale is in BIG BIG TROUBLE , 200 million for the lawsuit
10's & 10's million in legal costs. Lost sales tax. Westgate will be a ghost town. Also Glendale has bad relationship with the
Cardinals & NFL. There's now some talk of Tempe building a new Stadium in Tempe and try to lure the Cardinals
it's everywhere Social media, TV, Radio of what Glendale's Mayor & Council did to the Coyotes and there's like 99.9999 % support for Coyotes , 1000's & 1000's of people are saying they are going to boycott Glendale's stores & restaurant,
pretty much it's the World VS Glendale's mayor & council

Last edited by Jennifer2020; 06-11-2015 at 09:56 PM..

Old 06-11-2015, 10:44 PM

498 posts, read 544,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Java Jolt View Post
Well-written.

NHL just doesn't have a huge following in the sunbelt, the Coyotes would be better off moving to Canada or to a northern city lacking a hockey team.

Ducks, Sharks and Kings do just fine. Got nothing to do with the sun.

Old 06-11-2015, 10:53 PM

2,852 posts, read 4,507,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdahunt View Post
Tax payers shouldn't be on the hook for any dealings where gov officials are picking winners and losers....whats wrong with if its is a good idea it will attract investors....that also includes all the 100's of wasted billions in the so called green energy scam.

I would love to see a national law making it illegal for any city, state of federal group to provide tax payer money for any private held entities....its lunacy to pay a business to do anything...its that authority where elected officials get their power and money making opportunities....using tax payer dollars.

You can see almost every nationally elected figure enriching themselves either while they are in office or shortly after leaving.....and yet we tolerate it.
I totally agree with you on these points.

I'm not a conservative, in fact I'm a registered democrat but I'm staunchly opposed to tax money paying for sports while basic services like schools, transportation, police, and libraries go underfunded.

If NHL can't survive in Glendale the team should find a new city where a large fanbase can support the franchise without the municipality, the county, or the state-province providing the funding.

I don't think the Coyotes would be any better off moving back downtown or anywhere else in the valley, hockey doesn't draw a large enough attendance here.

The small Michigan town where I'm from probably has more hockey fans than the entire metropolitan Phoenix area does.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area