Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2015, 01:20 PM

2,399 posts, read 2,746,576 times

Advertisements

After my latest fights with Cox - their errors, their no-show techs, their unprofessional attitudes, their impenetrable hierarchy - I'm more and more thinking about giving up cable altogether, probably when I get a newer TV (in the near future, I hope).

I'd asked here before, and found that some of you get a surprisingly large number of over-the-air broadcast channels. I was just wondering, does that include the newer movie sub-channels like GetTV, This, Movies, etc.?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2015, 02:09 PM

483 posts, read 668,549 times
We're moving to AZ in a couple weeks and are currently wrestling with this very issue. Cox seems to suck, people complain about Direct TV, so there aren't any real choices (other than to circumvent the cable/satellite companies). Problem is, it doesn't seem like just having Netflix or any of those similar services...or even over-the-air) will get the breadth of programming we're accustomed to. It would be really difficult to give up live sports programming, especially with my beloved Packers on National TV for 12 of their 16 games this season. What do people do for live sports coverage without cable/satellite? Going to a bar to watch games can get really expensive...maybe I just need to hope one of our neighbors has Direct TV with the NFL package...

Old 07-12-2015, 02:26 PM

9,480 posts, read 12,344,710 times
Quit them. They are worthless. I even paid to get our if my contract.

Old 07-12-2015, 03:44 PM

7,068 posts, read 6,498,800 times
Only have Cox internet service. Great speed, very reliable, and the few times I've contacted them over the years they've been very helpful/accommodating.

One online TV guide site to find potential OTA channels:

TitanTV

Select the drop down menu towards the top center, "create a new channel lineup', "broadcast", and type in your zip code.

This site will show you what channels you can potentially pick up from your location and what kind of antenna you will need to do so:

AntennaWeb - Address

Old 07-12-2015, 03:54 PM

1,665 posts, read 2,957,519 times
I do fine with amazon prime,Netflix and Graboid, I did not have a problem with Cox but I had a problem with a monopoly price gouging me for more money when I watched 5 channels. I do not want to pay extra to support liberal shows that do nnot have a large enough audience to pay there way so they want non libs to pay the difference.
let me pay only for the channels I watch that is the American way

Old 07-12-2015, 04:05 PM

7,068 posts, read 6,498,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by autism360 View Post
I do fine with amazon prime,Netflix and Graboid, I did not have a problem with Cox but I had a problem with a monopoly price gouging me for more money when I watched 5 channels. I do not want to pay extra to support liberal shows that do nnot have a large enough audience to pay there way so they want non libs to pay the difference.
let me pay only for the channels I watch that is the American way
We dropped cable/satellite long ago as we were in the same spot....watched very little of what was on.

This is about the closest to a al carte programming I've seen in cable/satellite type popular channels for what I think is a cheap price comparatively:

https://www.sling.com/

For us OTA and Netflix stream gives us more than what we need though if I was into sports and some popular cable channels, Sling stream seems like a decent deal.

Old 07-12-2015, 06:24 PM

3,187 posts, read 5,766,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voebe View Post
After my latest fights with Cox - their errors, their no-show techs, their unprofessional attitudes, their impenetrable hierarchy - I'm more and more thinking about giving up cable altogether, probably when I get a newer TV (in the near future, I hope).

I'd asked here before, and found that some of you get a surprisingly large number of over-the-air broadcast channels. I was just wondering, does that include the newer movie sub-channels like GetTV, This, Movies, etc.?
Yes.

Old 07-12-2015, 08:44 PM

498 posts, read 545,737 times
Tv is a waste of money. Unhook yourself and come into the light.

Old 07-12-2015, 10:10 PM

6,341 posts, read 14,742,759 times
With netflix and hulu, you'll find you don't really miss anything but sports.

Old 07-12-2015, 11:10 PM

23 posts, read 39,664 times
I have COX for internet and I have to admit I love it. Super fast, always works.

Sometimes I get screwed up TV reception when it's hot outside. Only once in a while and on certain channels.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area