Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2016, 09:50 AM

4,222 posts, read 3,764,566 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Laker View Post
Sonoran slop plates are pretty blah, by far my last favorite Mexican food
Says the NYer
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2016, 10:02 AM

8,081 posts, read 6,996,840 times
Quote:
Sonoran slop plates are pretty blah, by far my last favorite Mexican food
Your transplant is showing

Old 05-07-2016, 10:04 AM

9,091 posts, read 19,274,641 times
Says the guy with taste buds. Most of the places out here make them awful to average. There arer good places, bit most of the plate lacks good flavor.

Throw some NM style in there and it starts improving

Old 05-07-2016, 11:57 AM

5,649 posts, read 5,997,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azdr0710 View Post
they'll no doubt have thin-crust pizza available....I had thin crust at Malnati's in Chicago and it was great and cut in squares!.....there is some debate that TRUE Chicago-style pizza is NOT thick

at 100 E Camelback in Uptown Plaza on May 16

Phoenix Pizza Places, Chicago Deep Dish Pizza | Lou Malnati's Restaurants
If I remember right, Chicago-style was originally thin crust, then the pie-style came around via Pizzeria Uno and after that it was all deep dish being claimed as "Chicago style".

Old 05-07-2016, 02:15 PM

3,187 posts, read 5,766,527 times
Whatever they are serving, if it is full of Chicago transplants, I'll pass.

We already have some of the best pizza on the planet here, no need for theirs.

Old 05-07-2016, 02:25 PM

123 posts, read 204,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbenjamin View Post
whatever they are serving, if it is full of chicago transplants, i'll pass.

We already have some of the best pizza on the planet here, no need for theirs.
lmao

Old 05-07-2016, 03:14 PM

4,280 posts, read 6,102,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
If I remember right, Chicago-style was originally thin crust, then the pie-style came around via Pizzeria Uno and after that it was all deep dish being claimed as "Chicago style".
If true Chicago pizza is thin crust, then it should stop being claimed that it's deep dish. Even when we lived in the Chicago suburbs, not one person ever claimed that Chicago pizza was anything other than deep dish.

Old 05-07-2016, 04:07 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,274,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by agstacker View Post
lmao
Laugh all you want, but it's true - Phoenix has some excellent pizza places.

We also tend to get a lot of regional places that open up outposts here - you can get deep dish, or italian beef, or a detroit coney, or a white hot, there are pizza places from mexico, from NY, from MI, all sorts of options.

I have no problems with Lou's coming here and it does nothing but add to a pretty unique scene. Combine the nostalgia, transplant & tourist spots with some knockout local options for pizza and the overall pizza scene here is actually pretty great and has grown leaps & bounds over the past decade.

Old 05-07-2016, 07:14 PM

4,222 posts, read 3,764,566 times
Quote:
Laugh all you want, but it's true - Phoenix has some excellent pizza places.

We also tend to get a lot of regional places that open up outposts here - you can get deep dish, or italian beef, or a detroit coney, or a white hot, there are pizza places from mexico, from NY, from MI, all sorts of options.

I have no problems with Lou's coming here and it does nothing but add to a pretty unique scene. Combine the nostalgia, transplant & tourist spots with some knockout local options for pizza and the overall pizza scene here is actually pretty great and has grown leaps & bounds over the past decade.
It'd be like expecting Chicago people to get all excited if a Carolinas opened up there. Chances are they wouldn't care but if there were (are) any AZ transplants maybe they'd be excited. Then again, I don't think a lot of folks relocate to Chicago, it seems like they're usually getting out of there.

Old 05-07-2016, 08:50 PM

1,932 posts, read 2,485,042 times
Oh good lord, his thread is really showing how many folks in AZ are from Chicago....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area