Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2016, 09:10 PM

16,399 posts, read 30,321,072 times

Advertisements

If the product that the Malnati franchisee puts out is any good, it will probably survive. If not, it will join the many other places that have closed down. Personally, I am leery of ANY Arizona rendition of a Chicago product as they are generally NOT the same product that you find in Chicago.

Rosati's just closed down their location that is adjacent to the University of Arizona in January. What I find ironic is that the restaurant was padlocked by the landlord for non-payment of the rent in early January 2016 BUT they are still showing two locations in Tucson as of today.

My personal take on the subject is that if I were to choose a restaurant in Phoenix each day for the next six months, I doubt that any of the Chicago transplants would make the cut. But that is my opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2016, 10:08 PM

123 posts, read 202,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Laker View Post
Laugh all you want, but it's true - Phoenix has some excellent pizza places.

We also tend to get a lot of regional places that open up outposts here - you can get deep dish, or italian beef, or a detroit coney, or a white hot, there are pizza places from mexico, from NY, from MI, all sorts of options.

I have no problems with Lou's coming here and it does nothing but add to a pretty unique scene. Combine the nostalgia, transplant & tourist spots with some knockout local options for pizza and the overall pizza scene here is actually pretty great and has grown leaps & bounds over the past decade.
I lived in Phoenix and agree with everything you say. That is not why I was laughing. It was the other comments they made.

Old 05-07-2016, 11:49 PM

44,652 posts, read 61,699,241 times
Food is a matter of individual taste. I find Chicago or New York style food to be just so so and much over rated.
There are many good local pizza makers around the Phoenix area. Our favorite is Anzios, it may not necessarily be yours.

Old 05-08-2016, 07:06 PM

4,222 posts, read 3,744,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
If the product that the Malnati franchisee puts out is any good, it will probably survive. If not, it will join the many other places that have closed down. Personally, I am leery of ANY Arizona rendition of a Chicago product as they are generally NOT the same product that you find in Chicago.

Rosati's just closed down their location that is adjacent to the University of Arizona in January. What I find ironic is that the restaurant was padlocked by the landlord for non-payment of the rent in early January 2016 BUT they are still showing two locations in Tucson as of today.

My personal take on the subject is that if I were to choose a restaurant in Phoenix each day for the next six months, I doubt that any of the Chicago transplants would make the cut. But that is my opinion.
This is not a franchise.

"The company will employ a water-filtration system in Phoenix, importing ingredients and relocating a management team from Chicago to ensure the first location outside of Illinois can perfectly replicate the chain’s signature pizza."

Old 05-08-2016, 10:46 PM

19 posts, read 13,428 times
I passed through Chicago a couple of years ago and had Lou Malnati's, and it was amazing... and the most filling thing I've ever eaten. I was with four big guys and we couldn't finish a large pie. Very cool to see it's coming here, and that they're working to make sure it'll have the same quality.

Old 05-09-2016, 06:45 AM

3,424 posts, read 2,926,855 times
https://www.dnainfo.com/chicago/2016...up-any-secrets

Old 05-09-2016, 10:14 AM

5,649 posts, read 5,976,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by locolife View Post
It'd be like expecting Chicago people to get all excited if a Carolinas opened up there. Chances are they wouldn't care but if there were (are) any AZ transplants maybe they'd be excited. Then again, I don't think a lot of folks relocate to Chicago, it seems like they're usually getting out of there.
There are so many transplants there that you'd be surprised. Half of my old workplace in the suburbs were transplants. There's not as many as young Phoenix, but there's a lot more transplants than you'd expect. Tons of ex-Californians, ex-Michiganders, ex-Texans, and oddly enough, lots of ex-Mississippians. Then of course you have the Wisconsin, Missouri, Minnesota, and Indiana transplants.

Old 05-09-2016, 10:36 AM

5,229 posts, read 4,619,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
There are so many transplants there that you'd be surprised. Half of my old workplace in the suburbs were transplants. There's not as many as young Phoenix, but there's a lot more transplants than you'd expect. Tons of ex-Californians, ex-Michiganders, ex-Texans, and oddly enough, lots of ex-Mississippians. Then of course you have the Wisconsin, Missouri, Minnesota, and Indiana transplants.
What? No ex-Illinoisies?

Old 05-09-2016, 11:20 AM

8,081 posts, read 6,972,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt Cassidy View Post
What? No ex-Illinoisies?
I don't know if you can be both an ex-Illinoisies and a resident of Illinois at the same time.

Old 05-09-2016, 05:47 PM

4,222 posts, read 3,744,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
Big city draw, I suppose. Let me put it another way, if you take a poll of 10 people how many are born and raised there? Is it like 1 out of 10 as we see here or is it more like 7-8 out of 10? When I lived in the Northeast most people were from that area, there was some regional pulls among Northeast states, but the majority were born and raised in that area. I pictured Chicago being similar.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area