Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2015, 07:55 PM

6 posts, read 9,274 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone!

I have been browsing the forums for the past few days trying to fill my head with as much information about the area as possible. Now I am ready to ask a few questions and any one who takes the time to respond, I thank you a million times!

So hubby is a strong candidate for a relocation transfer to Scottsdale. We are coming from IL. The job is on 95th and Shea. Is that considered North Scottsdale or South Scottsdale? His biggest concern is being close to work to eliminate the long commute which we have here. Roughly about an hour each way every day. Ideally, looking to live really no further than 15 min away. My main concern is that we are looking to live in a diverse area. We have 2 children that are school age, one in college (sophomore) and I want the move to be comfortable for all of us. I have been reading (older posts) that Scottsdale can be deemed as being "racist". Those posts were from 2011. Would you say that times have changed? While I know there is racism everywhere, I am just trying to gage the mentality of the area if that's possible?

Could we be 15 min away from 95th and Shea and live on the border of Phoenix?

That's all I have for now, but again I thank you for reading my post.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2015, 08:55 PM

3,941 posts, read 6,722,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TayKenMalc2015 View Post
Hi Everyone!

I have been browsing the forums for the past few days trying to fill my head with as much information about the area as possible. Now I am ready to ask a few questions and any one who takes the time to respond, I thank you a million times!

So hubby is a strong candidate for a relocation transfer to Scottsdale. We are coming from IL. The job is on 95th and Shea. Is that considered North Scottsdale or South Scottsdale? His biggest concern is being close to work to eliminate the long commute which we have here. Roughly about an hour each way every day. Ideally, looking to live really no further than 15 min away. My main concern is that we are looking to live in a diverse area. We have 2 children that are school age, one in college (sophomore) and I want the move to be comfortable for all of us. I have been reading (older posts) that Scottsdale can be deemed as being "racist". Those posts were from 2011. Would you say that times have changed? While I know there is racism everywhere, I am just trying to gage the mentality of the area if that's possible?

Could we be 15 min away from 95th and Shea and live on the border of Phoenix?

That's all I have for now, but again I thank you for reading my post.
I will take a stab at answering some of your questions/concerns. The first concern I want to address is that of Scottsdale being "racist". I am an African American male who has lived here for 16 years often working in Scottsdale. I personally have never encountered anything close to racism and wouldn't say it is racist, but I'm sure there are those who feel differently. Scottsdale is an affluent city. I would say that I have seen prejudice based more on economics/social class than ethnic racism. Can you live on the border of Phoenix and be 15 minutes away from 95th and Shea? I think so. Others will be able to help you with more specifics (budget, schools, neighborhoods, etc.). Finally, you said you would like a diverse area. Please define what you mean by diverse? Everyone's interpretation is different.

Old 08-05-2015, 09:48 PM

Thanks so much for answering!

Diverse in the sense that it is multi-cultural. I like being around all different cultures/people. We have always chosen communities as such and have gotten along well with our neighbors. I'm hoping to find the same type of lifestyle/living arrangements. On another note, this forum is GREAT for those relocating. I have narrowed down the area. Truly amazing people here!

Thanks Again!

Old 08-06-2015, 11:09 AM

357 posts, read 711,642 times
I wouldn't say Scottsdale is very diverse but neither is a lot of Phoenix. Can you tell us more about your budget? 95th and Shea is a wonderful area to live with some of the best public schools in the state if you can swing the housing cost. It's considered kind of bordering on North Scottsdale/Central Scottsdale. McCormick Ranch is the most appealing in that area to me.

But first, start with budget, and we can advise from there.

Old 08-06-2015, 11:58 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,398,231 times
Shea Blvd is what I would call the south end of North Scottsdale. It is certainly not "south Scottsdale". I would not think of Scottsdale as being racist; there might be more diverse areas in the Valley, but there will be some diversity in that area.

There are some racist people everywhere. I would not describe any city in the Valley as "racist". Scottsdale does cover a wide economic spectrum, from lower to lower middle class (economically) at the south end of the city to very high income, mostly in the north. There's some ethnic diversity across that spectrum as well. I think you can make it work for you, if you have found a place you like.

Yes, you could be close to 15-20 min away from 95th and Shea and hit the edges of Phoenix. Just go west on Shea. Nice area.

Old 08-06-2015, 12:06 PM

4,069 posts, read 5,140,766 times
Considering AZ is 57% Caucasian, 29.6% Hispanic (who also sometimes identify as "white") and only about 4% African American...finding "diversity" (i.e. where there aren't any white people) is going to be a bit difficult. It always cracks me up how people from the East Coast or MidWest are always hung up on AZ being racist or being in a "diverse" neighborhood. Most people here don't care about your skin color, we care about your attitude and behavior.

Old 08-06-2015, 02:48 PM

Our monthly budget for a rental would be about $2K a month. KurtAZ you couldn't have said it better! I feel the same way. I only care about your attitude and behavior....:-)

Old 08-06-2015, 03:33 PM

4,069 posts, read 5,140,766 times
Then like goolsbyjazz said..."I would say that I have seen prejudice based more on economics/social class than ethnic racism." That is going to be more prevalent in certain areas than others...course you will run into snobs everywhere but...with kids in school I would be looking at school district ratings and going from there. 95th and Shea puts you into Scottsdale Unified, if you go West you end up in Paradise Valley Unified. Not bad districts and you should be able to find something around $2k/mo. Check out the AZ Education website and pull up their schools report cards and rankings, neighborhood scout and great schools are helpful as well.

Best of luck.

Old 08-06-2015, 05:07 PM

69 posts, read 77,124 times
Whats your budget like? Do you have 600k or more to throw down on a nice updated home in Scottsdale? Give us an idea of your budget and what kind of home your looking for

Old 08-06-2015, 05:39 PM

Not looking to purchase at this time. Our rental budget would be 2K a month. I'd like to be in an area where I can get to the grocery store within 10 min. I live in Walmart, lol....Is there a Walmart in the area? Target?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
View detailed profiles of: