Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2015, 11:56 AM

424 posts, read 954,082 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBTRS View Post
Around $100 for my electric in the winter months.

So you want a pool to use in the non pool season? You'll need a pool heater then and that will drastically raise your electric/gas bill in the winter months if you're trying to heat a pool. DON'T GET A POOL if you're only going to be here in the non-swimming season. You'll quickly tire of swimming in the cold and having to take care of it all year even when you're not in the area. Get a hot tub.

Point well taken. My wife is not so excited about dealing with a pool, its more of the "husband's idea". She for one is worried about the liability, maintenance, and as you mentioned probably wouldn't use it much. I personally see using it occasionally but not often. I did previously mention in the summer months I probably wouldn't be there much but since I do have rentals in the area, I do need to be there on and off year round. Therefore, I could easily be there in the summer (when I have too) but I have no plans on living there full time in the summer. We live in New Mexico so the drive to the Phoenix area is not to bad and we could pick up and leave on a moment's notice so the pool is more of a nice thing than anything else. Either way, its nice to have an idea of the costs to run the thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2015, 11:59 AM

424 posts, read 954,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandy6879 View Post
Heating a pool in the winter months can be extraordinarily high. My husband's boss told us he heated his over Thanksgiving and his gas bill was over $500 for 2 days of having the heat on. Not worth it.
Oookay, now we're talking real money. I"m not about to pay that kind of money to heat a pool for two days. If there is a heater it will obviously be turned off (or not added if there is not one with the pool).

Thanks for this information!

Old 08-16-2015, 12:11 PM

4,866 posts, read 11,238,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtbguy View Post
Oookay, now we're talking real money. I"m not about to pay that kind of money to heat a pool for two days. If there is a heater it will obviously be turned off (or not added if there is not one with the pool).

Most pools here don't have heaters as they are cost prohibitive to use.

Old 08-16-2015, 12:33 PM

639 posts, read 973,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBTRS View Post
Most pools here don't have heaters as they are cost prohibitive to use.
We plumbed ours for one since we plan on selling the house at some point and having the ability to put one in may be attractive for someone. I just can't justify the cost of actually purchasing the heater and then running one. A hot tub is probably a better choice.

Old 10-04-2015, 11:43 AM

2 posts, read 1,972 times
Default water trash and sewer fees

I live in a apt complex and my water trash and sewer fees are almost $45. I dont trust the apt complex people...

Old 10-05-2015, 01:27 PM

48 posts, read 101,015 times
We have a heat pump that keeps our pool heated at 89F throughout the winter months. We also have an autocover on the pool to minimize heat loss.
It costs an average of $100 per month extra to keep the pool heated. Heat pumps are very efficient and are cheap to operate. I am guessing the ones with higher bills have some other type of heater, instead of a heat pump?

Old 10-05-2015, 01:53 PM

1,567 posts, read 1,960,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtbguy View Post

Solar pool heaters are the way to go, natural gas just isn't worth it. Also don't forget a weekly pool service, especially in the summer. I have been quoted $20 a week but do all the service myself. Even so I spend $40 on chlorine and chemicals in the summer.

Old 10-05-2015, 03:17 PM

4,073 posts, read 5,163,119 times
Chandler: City utility (water/trash) is $78 most months. I did have to drain and re-fill the pool last year...I think my bill went up $30.

Old 10-05-2015, 06:24 PM

4,222 posts, read 3,746,112 times
We've had a pool for a year now, other than the month we had to drain it for resurfacing our water bill has never been over $40 in a month. I am however looking into adding a system that automatically adds a liquid pool cover each day/week to prevent evaporation, not because the city is charging me a lot, but because I feel like it's the right thing to do when I'm storing 20,000 gallons of water in the backyard in the middle of the driest metro in the U.S.

I'm sure your thoughts are more focused on personal financial impact, but this seems very wasteful. An entire pool for a few days of use a year... I would highly suggest looking for a neighborhood with a community pool. As a first time pool owner myself I would never want to deal with this much upkeep, cost and commitment in a second residence.

Old 10-05-2015, 06:30 PM

344 posts, read 813,871 times
Looking at the posts here, there are a few unanswered questions:

-I suspect that much of the summer electrical bills are due to AC. To anyone who has taken the time to determine it, how much of each bills is due to pool related power consumption?

-Anyone who has heated a pool for a period of time during the winter? How much was it on a monthly basis, and how large was the pool? Was it heated continually, or would it make sense to heat it up as needed?

-Solar water heaters...initial cost, effectiveness and monthly costs afterwards?

-Based on this, when I'm ready to have something built, I might stick with a nice jacuzzi.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area