Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2015, 06:10 PM

299 posts, read 441,440 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kct987 View Post
Uuhh your definitely going to the wrong places. I'm a young 20 something too. Mill and old town Scottsdale have tons of people hanging out on the weekends. Maybe your going at the wrong time? Idk. I hang out in downtown phoenix. Its different than mill and Scottsdale because not everything is on one strip or clustered. But still tons of people on the weekends.
Awesome! I go to grad. school @ ASU and work Downtown. I am not too familiar with Downtown, except for the very small/ compact area where ASU is. What streets/ places in Downtown do you suggest I check out? I would LOVE some suggestions? I used to work in a reeeeeallly ghetto part of Down-town, but I haven't really explored much else besides that and ASU Downtown.

It's definitely possible I've gone at the wrong times.

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2015, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azdr0710 View Post
San Francisco population density = 17,247/sq. mi

Phoenix population density = 3165/sq. mi.

doesn't justify that people "stay at home", but might explain why there aren't people walking all over a neighborhood, as in denser metro areas....
Good point. That was one thing I noticed when I moved to AZ compared to the Bay Area/ SF. Phoenix has over 1 million people but it doesn't feel like it AT ALL. Not sure if I like, or hate this yet. Right now I'm just trying to adjust!

Old 11-23-2015, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMotorsport64 View Post
Compared to SF Phoenix is a bloated suburb. It's a lifestyle thing that I gather might not fit you. Although you might enjoy places more centrally located than Gilbert. Chandler has a decent downtown area, Tempe is generally the spot for ASU Students. Old Town isn't my cup of tea but it's pretty busy at night. Central Phoenix is pretty vibrant and artsy if you're into that thing. I chose to live by the rail. There's a certain level of loneliness that comes via auto commuting. I bet you're feeling it.

There are some neat restaurants in Chandler. I'm a proponent of The Perch myself, but I'm a beer nerd.
Thanks so much! Can you suggest some areas I might visit in Central Phoenix?

I completely agree. Phoenix is VERY suburban, hot, and desert climate. I love the cost of living here- but I am definitely wanting to move somewhere WAYYYY cooler once I'm done with graduate school. I definitely am not crazy about the life-style here, although I can see why many would enjoy it. My boyfriend went to UCLA and he said it reminds him of Los Angeles with better traffic, less people, and no ocean. :P

I did like Mill, but parts of Tempe are pretty ghetto lol

Old 11-23-2015, 06:29 PM

1,040 posts, read 1,295,447 times
It was never 120 degrees this summer. The hottest it ever got was 117 on one day. The avg high was ~96.

Summer here, for those who don't like heat, is like winter in Buffalo. You do your outdoors stuff early in the morning or later in the evening.

It's not for everyone.

Old 11-23-2015, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imagineAA View Post
It was never 120 degrees this summer. The hottest it ever got was 117 on one day. The avg high was ~96.

Summer here, for those who don't like heat, is like winter in Buffalo. You do your outdoors stuff early in the morning or later in the evening.

It's not for everyone.
Okaayyyy, I am PRETTY dang sure it got to 120 one day... I remember it on the news, but you could be right.

Heat is not for me, I prefer cold, but then again, I'm here for at least the next 2.5 years so I might as well get used to it.

Old 11-23-2015, 07:44 PM

770 posts, read 840,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teddyearp View Post
Who knows? Maybe by the time you graduate Arizona will have legalized marijuana too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quizillla View Post
LOLZ. Doubt it
We have Medical Marijuana the same as California it's not fully legal there either.

Quote:

I did like Mill, but parts of Tempe are pretty ghetto lol
Guess I missed these ghetto areas of Tempe I guess if you call the older bungalows near ASU ghetto.

Old 11-24-2015, 06:20 AM

5,229 posts, read 4,625,064 times
Quote:
What are some cute, more unique towns/ areas in Maricopa county?
Cute? CUTE?

Quizzy, there ain't nuthin CUTE about Arizona. Arizona is rough & gruff & too tough to die!

Old 11-24-2015, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt Cassidy View Post
Cute? CUTE?

Quizzy, there ain't nuthin CUTE about Arizona. Arizona is rough & gruff & too tough to die!
D':

Sad day....

Old 11-24-2015, 04:37 PM

5,229 posts, read 4,625,064 times
Quote:
D':

Sad day....
Okay, Quizzy...

The good news? Cactus is... somewhat cute. Some of them are almost huggable.

Old 11-24-2015, 10:21 PM

273 posts, read 350,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TempeAZnative View Post
We have Medical Marijuana the same as California it's not fully legal there either.

Guess I missed these ghetto areas of Tempe I guess if you call the older bungalows near ASU ghetto.
There are indeed some rough areas in Tempe. Some of the apartment complexes near Arizona Mills and the area around the Fry's Electronics come to mind.

OP, i'm a bit incredulous that you say Mill Avenue and Old Town Scottsdale are dead on the weekends. Those places are absolutely jampacked each and every weekend, even by SF standards.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area