Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2016, 10:28 PM

2,852 posts, read 4,503,827 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
Very true, but there was a time (25+ years ago) when San Diego had a slightly larger population than Phoenix. Since then, Phoenix has surpassed San Diego and continues to grow at a faster rate. The sad fact is that San Diego hasn't grown very much lately, and two factors are involved: high cost of living, and lack of competitive jobs. I would love to live in San Diego just for the climate alone, but as I've stated before, moving someplace just for the weather isn't very wise. Jobs & cost of living always take higher importance ... and for me & many others, it would be very cost prohibitive to move there despite how much better the climate is than Phoenix overall (especially in the summer).
San Diego is overrated imho.

The beaches are always overcrowded and funparks like Legoland aren't all that fun unless you're age twelve or younger.

The only places in San Diego worth visiting are Seaworld and the zoo.

You're right about the summers though, much more pleasant than Phoenix but much more expensive there too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2016, 11:48 PM

7,068 posts, read 6,471,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Java Jolt View Post

The beaches are always overcrowded and funparks like Legoland aren't all that fun unless you're age twelve or younger.

You're right about the summers though, much more pleasant than Phoenix but much more expensive there too.
I suppose it depends what one is looking for but I think places around San Diego like La Jolla, Coronado, and Torrey Pines are certainly not overrated in many aspects and worth an escape if one wants an upscale experience in San Diego and escape from the valley summer heat.

Old 01-27-2016, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevek64 View Post
I suppose it depends what one is looking for but I think places around San Diego like La Jolla, Coronado, and Torrey Pines are certainly not overrated in many aspects and worth an escape if one wants an upscale experience in San Diego and escape from the valley summer heat.
Many people can't afford an upscale experience and don't really want it even with a high disposable income.

That's why I think San Diego is overrated, it's overpriced and sometimes overcrowded but their zoo is certainly worth visiting.

I save money and stay here in the summertime, it's less crowded, traffic is a little lighter, and the waterparks are fun places to go for heat relief.

Old 01-27-2016, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Many people can't afford an upscale experience and don't really want it even with a high disposable income.

That's why I think San Diego is overrated, it's overpriced and sometimes overcrowded but their zoo is certainly worth visiting.

I save money and stay here in the summertime, it's less crowded, traffic is a little lighter, and the waterparks are fun places to go for heat relief.
Those places really aren't that expensive to stay if you plan it out/shop a bit on various sites. Many decent not so expensive hotels/places to eat. Plus there's Airbnb where you can fall into some decent deals at times. Sounds like we share the same view as we usually pick best value for the $ places but if what San Diego offers you isn't what you're looking for, that's a different story.

Old 01-29-2016, 03:01 PM

1,726 posts, read 1,723,380 times
Despite being a smaller metro area than Phoenix in terms of population and not necessarily known as an economic hotbed, San Diego definitely has more career opportunities for educated professionals than Phoenix, especially in the defense, biotech, research and development, healthcare, higher education and international trade sectors. Even the hospitality and tourism industry in San Diego seems to be more prolific and robust than in Phoenix.

Economics aside, San Diego has significantly better weather, prettier scenery, more options for upscale urban and suburban living and way more college-educated folks than Phoenix.

Is it worth the 60-70% overall markup relative to Phoenix? IMO, yes, it is.

Old 01-30-2016, 02:52 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,323,563 times
The situation isn't going to change, so if it really bothers you that much, you should plan to move. You don't have to go far. Tucson seems to be very determined to remain a laid-back "town" and in the past decade has lost population.

Old 01-30-2016, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert_from_back_East View Post
Despite being a smaller metro area than Phoenix in terms of population and not necessarily known as an economic hotbed, San Diego definitely has more career opportunities for educated professionals than Phoenix, especially in the defense, biotech, research and development, healthcare, higher education and international trade sectors. Even the hospitality and tourism industry in San Diego seems to be more prolific and robust than in Phoenix.

Economics aside, San Diego has significantly better weather, prettier scenery, more options for upscale urban and suburban living and way more college-educated folks than Phoenix.

Yes, San Diego/around Las Jolla has a nice biotech thing going on.

"Better" weather is debatable. Personally, while we like visiting parts of San Diego mostly for the coast in the summer, the weather is too damp/cool/cloudy periods for my taste to ever want to live there. Summers aside in the Phoenix metro(which I still actually like), I'd take those 8 months of low desert valley weather over San Diego any day but again, it's a preference/everyone has an ideal weather view in their own mind.

Phoenix/Maricopa County has a great deal of money here and many upscale places to live. Not sure if it's more than San Diego county but I would guess they are pretty similiar. Though I would say San Diego certainly wins in the overpriced real estate category.

As for those with a college education, San Diego County vs Maricopa County:

San Diego County QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau

Maricopa County QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau

Those who hold a Bachelors degree or higher make up 34.6% of the population in San Diego County vs 29.8% in Maricopa County, San Diego having the edge by just < 5%. I wouldn't call that "way more". And Maricopa County actually has a higher high school graduation rate vs San Diego County, just by about 1% though.

Here's an interesting comparison on which is "better", Phoenix vs San Diego, on a few metrics though it's hardly scientific/just a few random items. Love how San Diego has mountains listed but Phoenix doesn't:

https://versus.com/en/phoenix-vs-san-diego

Last edited by stevek64; 01-30-2016 at 03:39 PM..

Old 01-30-2016, 09:01 PM

8,044 posts, read 12,271,874 times
Quote:

That's funny, but I've hardly ever encountered a problem with crowded conditions in San Diego. Traffic is actually a little better than Phoenix, even in the summer months. The only crowded beach I've witnessed is Mission, but I have found other beaches in the area to be much less crowded (such as Imperial Beach). I'm not a big fan of amusement parks like LEGOLAND because they are definitely more for the kiddish crowd and young families ... however, the San Diego area has Coronado, Old Town, SeaWorld, La Jolla, Gaslamp district, and Seaport Village that are fun places to visit which are more adult oriented.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert_from_back_East View Post

San Diego is big player in the military/defense industry, and has become more of a leader in the biotech industry ... I'll give you that. Other than those things (and tourism), San Diego definitely lacks in many higher paying career opportunities. The pay scale would be higher there than in Phoenix, but that's mainly because the cost of living is much higher in San Diego. You'll notice that San Diego is not a very fast growing metro area (despite the gorgeous weather), and that's largely because it has become very cost prohibitive for many people to live there.

Old 02-02-2016, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevek64 View Post
Yes, San Diego/around Las Jolla has a nice biotech thing going on.

"Better" weather is debatable. Personally, while we like visiting parts of San Diego mostly for the coast in the summer, the weather is too damp/cool/cloudy periods for my taste to ever want to live there. Summers aside in the Phoenix metro(which I still actually like), I'd take those 8 months of low desert valley weather over San Diego any day but again, it's a preference/everyone has an ideal weather view in their own mind.

Phoenix/Maricopa County has a great deal of money here and many upscale places to live. Not sure if it's more than San Diego county but I would guess they are pretty similiar. Though I would say San Diego certainly wins in the overpriced real estate category.

As for those with a college education, San Diego County vs Maricopa County:

San Diego County QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau

Maricopa County QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau

Those who hold a Bachelors degree or higher make up 34.6% of the population in San Diego County vs 29.8% in Maricopa County, San Diego having the edge by just < 5%. I wouldn't call that "way more". And Maricopa County actually has a higher high school graduation rate vs San Diego County, just by about 1% though.

Here's an interesting comparison on which is "better", Phoenix vs San Diego, on a few metrics though it's hardly scientific/just a few random items. Love how San Diego has mountains listed but Phoenix doesn't:

https://versus.com/en/phoenix-vs-san-diego
Five percentage points isn't anything to take too lightly because it's still enough to give San Diego a much higher rank than Phoenix, 19th versus 66th.

Education is one category where Phoenix drastically lacks compared to other large cities.

Of the ten most populated cities Phoenix ranks near the bottom in college-educated people, just slightly above San Antonio. http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2...reas.html?_r=0

To me this is a little disturbing because it reflects in our lower wages and overall reputation.

Old 02-02-2016, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Five percentage points isn't anything to take too lightly because it's still enough to give San Diego a much higher rank than Phoenix, 19th versus 66th.

Education is one category where Phoenix drastically lacks compared to other large cities.

Of the ten most populated cities Phoenix ranks near the bottom in college-educated people, just slightly above San Antonio. http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2...reas.html?_r=0

To me this is a little disturbing because it reflects in our lower wages and overall reputation.
While I believe an educated populace is generally a good thing, there are many cities on that list that indeed have more college educated people but with not so good/worse economies than Phoenix, so an educated populace doesn't necessarily equate to a robust economy of well paying jobs. I'll pick on Portland, OR towards the top of that list:

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/09/21/ma...the-young.html

Lots of cities with overqualified/highly educated people working low paying jobs, or not working at all. And many with expensive pieces of paper (degrees) with not a lot of marketplace demand for their major. I know many in this spot. Makes the stats look good though for said city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area