Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2016, 06:54 PM

848 posts, read 970,207 times

Advertisements

I am in software development and doing well; I am asking this for my girlfriend. She is interested in the medical field and is trying to find a reasonable combo of cost/training/education to get that first step in, and from there she can be getting experience while working toward a higher degree/certs (she does currently have a BA, though in an unrelated field). We have a toddler and a baby that she cares for during the day, but her mom is available to help if the best place to go doesn't really have night/weekend learning.

We came across the idea of a CNA, where it's 3-6 weeks of learning and a few months of training. It sounds like a reasonable starting point to get in and eventually learn more and move up. We did some googling and it's the typical mixed reviews from various sites with every school/place being called equally good/sham at the same time - such as AMTI, which at $1100 for only a few weeks and a bit of googling is a bit much to toss out without solid information and recommendation.

I read a few threads here via search and there doesn't seem to be a lot of info regarding this, and not recently, but it does sound like there are clearly knowledgeable people high up in the field around here and in the know, so I'd definitely trust the information here regarding solid, reputable places to go get the education/cert from more than uninformed googling!

Because we have my income in software development, this isn't some "need a job quick to make a bunch of money to support everyone" thing, so there is some flexibility there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2016, 07:06 PM

8,081 posts, read 6,974,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixSomeday View Post
I am in software development and doing well; I am asking this for my girlfriend. She is interested in the medical field and is trying to find a reasonable combo of cost/training/education to get that first step in, and from there she can be getting experience while working toward a higher degree/certs (she does currently have a BA, though in an unrelated field). We have a toddler and a baby that she cares for during the day, but her mom is available to help if the best place to go doesn't really have night/weekend learning.

We came across the idea of a CNA, where it's 3-6 weeks of learning and a few months of training. It sounds like a reasonable starting point to get in and eventually learn more and move up. We did some googling and it's the typical mixed reviews from various sites with every school/place being called equally good/sham at the same time - such as AMTI, which at $1100 for only a few weeks and a bit of googling is a bit much to toss out without solid information and recommendation.

I read a few threads here via search and there doesn't seem to be a lot of info regarding this, and not recently, but it does sound like there are clearly knowledgeable people high up in the field around here and in the know, so I'd definitely trust the information here regarding solid, reputable places to go get the education/cert from more than uninformed googling!

Because we have my income in software development, this isn't some "need a job quick to make a bunch of money to support everyone" thing, so there is some flexibility there.
What does she have a BA in?
Reasoning being that with a BA we have accelerated programs geared towards obtaining BSNs that don't take that long and might be better than being a BA as a CNA.

However if CNA is the goal, there are cheap options some even being free.

Old 01-18-2016, 08:00 PM

4,866 posts, read 11,238,953 times
I'm an HR Director and work in a health care industry...I'd skip the CNA route and get her in a nursing program. Adding a job as a CNA while trying to be a mom and going to school to be able to move out of a CNA role in the future is going to be very tough.

There is no money in being a CNA and the working conditions are terrible. Have her start a RN program or if you want it in less time she can get her LPN license. Much more income potential and long term growth as a nurse.

Old 01-18-2016, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMotorsport64 View Post
What does she have a BA in?
Reasoning being that with a BA we have accelerated programs geared towards obtaining BSNs that don't take that long and might be better than being a BA as a CNA.
Criminal Justice. The major-level stuff probably won't transfer/apply, but at least the run-of-the-mill GE stuff is out of the way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMotorsport64 View Post
However if CNA is the goal, there are cheap options some even being free.
Definitely not the goal, we are aiming for as low a cost of entry as possible into the field with the goal of working up to RN of some kind from there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBTRS View Post
I'm an HR Director and work in a health care industry...I'd skip the CNA route and get her in a nursing program. Adding a job as a CNA while trying to be a mom and going to school to be able to move out of a CNA role in the future is going to be very tough.
Quote:
There is no money in being a CNA ...
That's ok, it's a stepping stone.

Quote:
... and the working conditions are terrible.
... but that's not. We've read how in certain lower-experience and less-demand parts of the field there is a lot of corner cutting necessary just to get through the "this is not humanely acceptable" workload, so if there's no way around it, I guess we'll have to take a few years to save.

Quote:
Have her start a RN program or if you want it in less time she can get her LPN license. Much more income potential and long term growth as a nurse.
What's the cost structure like? We were fine 3 years ago, but a lot of life events strung together the last couple of years has put us in a less than ideal finanical position. We are trying to find an entry point here that's manageable without adding any more debt.

Old 01-18-2016, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixSomeday View Post
Criminal Justice. The major-level stuff probably won't transfer/apply, but at least the run-of-the-mill GE stuff is out of the way.

Definitely not the goal, we are aiming for as low a cost of entry as possible into the field with the goal of working up to RN of some kind from there.
Goal was presumptuous wording I apologize for that.

Arizona State offers a 12 month program to people with BAs to become BSNs provided they take certain pre requisites. I bring it up because I know a few CNAs who would never recommend it. I know a few nurses who took this route instead and don't regret it. Many of them have BAs in Psychology or Gender Studies, took 3 or 4 pre reqs at CC and then enrolled at ASU in the same year.
ASU Accelerated Nursing Programs

Either way, the other poster hires people so their authority is greater than mine.

Old 01-18-2016, 10:49 PM

64 posts, read 74,602 times
I climbed up this ladder myself.

I get what you're saying but I would not go for CNA as the first step. Go for LPN as first step. If RN is the goal, don't bother with CNA. You can get scholarships, grants, etc for a lot of the costs. Yes it's a little more from the output, but really what you get for a little more time commitment initially you just can't compare with a CNA (money AND flexibility in terms of jobs, demand, etc).

If you're still not sold on this idea, I'd also explore things like x-ray tech, phlebotomist, etc.

Old 01-19-2016, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogLovinGal View Post
I climbed up this ladder myself.

I get what you're saying but I would not go for CNA as the first step. Go for LPN as first step. If RN is the goal, don't bother with CNA. You can get scholarships, grants, etc for a lot of the costs. Yes it's a little more from the output, but really what you get for a little more time commitment initially you just can't compare with a CNA (money AND flexibility in terms of jobs, demand, etc).

If you're still not sold on this idea, I'd also explore things like x-ray tech, phlebotomist, etc.
Did a quick and definitely non-exhaustive search on this (LPN) and seems to be $6k-$9k for a program lasting around a year or so? Does that sound right? And what are some good schools for this? We are in the Chandler area. Definitely don't want a scammy degree-mill place and they're not always obviously spotted.

Last edited by PhoenixSomeday; 01-19-2016 at 04:37 PM..

Old 01-19-2016, 04:31 PM

4,614 posts, read 6,393,302 times
Nursing School, Earn a Nursing Degree Online or On-site | Chamberlain

Listen to the people who are telling you to skip the CNA.

Regards
Gemstone1

Old 01-19-2016, 05:13 PM

1,705 posts, read 1,604,341 times
I think that JGMotorsport's suggestion is REALLY WELL WORTH THE INVESTMENT... just sayin'

Old 01-19-2016, 06:23 PM

Here's a better link

https://nursingandhealth.asu.edu/deg...te/nursing-bsn

Quote:
Postbaccalaureate
The postbaccalaureate BSN is a pathway for students who have earned a bachelor's degree. After completing prerequisites, students apply for advancement to the 12-month clinical nursing program. Students are admitted to the postbaccalaureate annually in the spring semester.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
View detailed profiles of: