Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2016, 10:12 AM

39,077 posts, read 51,218,516 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lewdog_5 View Post
I am adding to this as well. They increased my internet bill last year to $66.99. Just received my automatic payment statement for this month and it's now $73.99.

Anyone call about lowering their price or threatening to switch? Century Link will bundle with my DTV for $29.99. But I've heard horror stories of Century Link. I like the connection reliability of Cox and I stream baseball all season, so I need something that won't buffer and fail but sick of them raising prices with no notice.
I switched to Century Link a few months ago when Cox would not offer much. I pay $36 for a two year contract, internet only. I have 40 megs but it runs at 47 consistently. It has not been down nor have I needed to reboot even once since I fired it up. All the streaming runs fine, never stops to buffer. I added my own router behind theirs because the one they provide/sell does not support 5 gHz wireless. It does let you put it in bridge mode and use your own though.

I suppose that after two years I will go back to Cox for a better deal as a new customer. That seems to be the way to play the game here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2016, 10:23 AM

10,719 posts, read 20,294,643 times
Quote:
I am adding to this as well. They increased my internet bill last year to $66.99. Just received my automatic payment statement for this month and it's now $73.99.

Anyone call about lowering their price or threatening to switch? Century Link will bundle with my DTV for $29.99. But I've heard horror stories of Century Link. I like the connection reliability of Cox and I stream baseball all season, so I need something that won't buffer and fail but sick of them raising prices with no notice.
It depends. I've hear stories about people who call and will get their bill lowered. I tried that recently and they were going to let me walk. It comes down to the personality of the person you talk to. Some will just say no and don't care. Others will be nicer and give you what you want. This applies to anything though (cell phone, credit limits). The trick is to try and try again and keep calling until you get someone who is nice and will give you what you are seeking. This is a trick of mine that I recommend everyone do. If you get a hostile tone or know this person is going to give you a hard time, there is no point arguing, just hang up and try again.

That being said, you have to be reasonable and ask for something that makes sense. Otherwise, they are not going to entertain your offer.

Old 01-27-2016, 10:34 AM

1,567 posts, read 1,956,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
It depends. I've hear stories about people who call and will get their bill lowered. I tried that recently and they were going to let me walk. It comes down to the personality of the person you talk to. Some will just say no and don't care. Others will be nicer and give you what you want. This applies to anything though (cell phone, credit limits). The trick is to try and try again and keep calling until you get someone who is nice and will give you what you are seeking. This is a trick of mine that I recommend everyone do. If you get a hostile tone or know this person is going to give you a hard time, there is no point arguing, just hang up and try again.

That being said, you have to be reasonable and ask for something that makes sense. Otherwise, they are not going to entertain your offer.

I tried about a year ago after being with cox for a decade, they were not willing to offer anything competitive. They were raising the price at least once a year. I went to Centurylink and have been happy with their service (not their customer service). My year for Centurylink just came up and I called and got another good deal. 30 megs for $30

Old 01-27-2016, 10:38 AM

9,576 posts, read 7,330,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post

It's all a game, like you mentioned, every cable company does it. I dealt with Time Warner Cable (just have internet) in North Carolina when my one year promotion rate expired and they wouldn't keep my rate the same, so I just cancelled my internet and a week later called up and had internet reinstalled at the new promotion rate, which was even cheaper than what I was paying before for the same service. The week I didn't have internet, I just used my internet at work to check my emails and do what I had to do. If anyone believes everyone is paying the same for the same type of service, think again, it's kind of like buying airline tickets, how many different prices are there for every person on every flight.

Old 01-27-2016, 11:09 AM

6,957 posts, read 12,058,216 times
Just don't change anything in the middle of your billing period. Century Link Prism owes me money because I only used it for half a month, but they can't get any reasonable person to admit that. I got transferred 3 times, finally was sent to Collections (how does that make sense?) and now am getting late charges because I don't have Prism and will not pay for it. Filed a BBB complaint, which will do nothing. We are held hostage by these cable co's and in my way of thinking, this is a crime.

Old 01-27-2016, 05:15 PM

2,619 posts, read 2,335,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungle View Post
Do you read your statements every month? I'm guessing not or else you would have read that your rate was going to increase.
Yes I do. Still doesn't justify the increase. I called about it today since I don't have cable with them and told them DTV offered a bundle with Century Link that was much cheaper (true). They offered me a locked in rate for their 100 MBPS rate for less than I am paying now for the 50 MBPS and it's locked in for 2 years. I'll take it!

Old 01-27-2016, 05:37 PM

2,379 posts, read 2,709,785 times
I've found Cox, over the years, to be both disingenuous, to put it politely, and incompetent.

Your particular story reminds me that even when I initially signed up with them and specifically asked about other charges, they gave me a falsely low number. Recently when I asked how much something would cost - without telling them who I was or what my account was - they claimed that even with knowing my location, they couldn't quote me an exact price.

Please complain, both to them and to the city department with oversight.

Old 01-30-2016, 07:51 AM

2,775 posts, read 3,759,929 times
Quote:

Yes. I called Cox because my internet/phone bundle went from a nice $50 a month (2 year agreement) to $100 after the 2 years expired. They said they could get me $10 a month off, bringing my bill to $90. I told them no thanks, I'll just switch to CenturyLink for $30 for nearly the same internet speeds. The retention department at Cox gave me this speil about how Cox is a premium service and not everyone could afford them. In the end, Cox dropped my bill in the $50 dollar range again. But I could not believe the nerve of that retention department employee! Saying that Cox was a premium service and not everyone could afford them. Wow! My wife was listening in on the conversation. She couldn't believe this guy. Our only regret?: not recording the conversation I had with the Cox employee.

Old 01-31-2016, 07:57 AM

64 posts, read 74,470 times
I have Cox as well. My bill just increased also, which I think is ridiculous considering I've experienced less then stellar connectivity lately. I've been hesitant to switch to CenturyLink as I've heard bad things.

Has anyone tried Verizon, either high speed dial up or Fios? How does it compare to Cox (both cost comparison and performance/reliability)?

Old 01-31-2016, 08:21 AM

50 posts, read 105,351 times
I've been thinking of cutting the cord for the TV service for some time now but with the latest round of price increases it has pushed me to the point I'm going to do it at the end of the current billing cycle. With the latest round of price increases my TV bill is right at $100 which is my tipping point. It will be interesting to see if they are willing to do anything to retain the business.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area