Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2016, 05:03 PM

177 posts, read 552,992 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZtoVA View Post
We've lived in Gilbert since 1998 and it used to be so much worse. Now, I don't think there are many areas that still smell, unless you are pretty close to the few remaining dairy farms. OP, I'd say move out of Gilbert and closer to Phoenix. My family absolutely loves living in Gilbert, but it sounds like you would be much happier elsewhere. Good luck!
I've lived in Ahwatukee and Chandler and I liked both places. I love Ahwatukee and would love to move back there. I'm probably going to stay here until I buy a house but when I was pregnant last year I would get so sick and tell DH that we were moving ASAP lol! He was like no we aren't! I'm sure I will look back on this and laugh. At least the rent is cheap here! Now I know why!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2016, 05:29 PM

1,699 posts, read 2,434,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowWhiteQueen View Post
LOL! It smells like I'm living inside a cow's butt! 😜
That's funny.... specially coming from a person with the name, SnowWhiteQueen.
Give it a month or two, and the smell is gone, or worse... You got used to it. And always remember, in the end they do make delicious ice cream.....

Old 03-07-2016, 06:16 PM

966 posts, read 1,347,676 times
typical, people move into the country because there is open space, then complain about the farms because of the smells, or the noise of the crop dusters. Umm, news flash, they were there first, get used to it or MOVE

Old 03-07-2016, 06:26 PM

1,705 posts, read 1,602,001 times
You can't deny that the smell is pretty bad. I mean, it's really REALLY bad.
OP, look into Phoenix or Chandler.. or maybe even Mesa. You can't smell it there.

Old 03-07-2016, 06:29 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,273,394 times
So you voluntarily moved to an area knowing there were cows and an airport and you are stunned there is noise and stench? Consider more research and visits at different hours of the day next time you are looking for a home.

Old 03-07-2016, 07:40 PM

156 posts, read 420,677 times
I just grilled some burgers.

Old 03-07-2016, 11:03 PM

3,365 posts, read 5,243,031 times
You did move to a state that has a cow right on the seal. When I went to school, I'm 31 now so it wasn't that long ago, they taught the 5 C's (cattle, copper, cotton, citrus, and climate) because they were the core of the AZ economy at the time we became a state. The cow is on the bottom right of the seal but all 5 C's are represented, unless you look at the seal from the rotunda where the cow is missing but that seal wasn't made here. There is cattle raised in every county in this state still so good luck getting away from it, almost 75% of the land in AZ is used for cattle grazing.

Old 03-08-2016, 05:28 AM

9,746 posts, read 11,171,717 times
Frankly, it is cruel to have animals stew in their own crap 24-7. The gases the animals produce from their urine and feces can be harmful. I'm talking about intense levels of ammonia, hydrogen sulfide, and methane. I'm from the Midwest and most farms don't smell nearly as much as others. I've driven by some farms in Nebraska (on hwy 80) that are downright vile for over a mile stretch! Animals and people are in those areas as they step on their own liquified sh_t all day long. I'm not a tree hugger and I LOVE a great steak. But I am willing to pay a little extra and support laws that avoid this level of cruelty. In other words,not all farms stink the same. If you think you know what I am talking about without experiencing it, you don't. The smells are INTENSE and will quickly give you a headache.

Smells can be cut down by the diet, covering the manure in storage (even as simply as using straw), biofilters, broadcast techniques, vegetation buffers, and a dozen other ways. The smells will therefore be manageable. In other words, manage the stink so it isn't cruel to the animals. But SOME farmers are only worried about the bottom line. They really don't care about their workers health either because all to often they are migrant workers. YES, those bottomline management farmers were there 1st. But if it stinks intensely like some of the ones on Interstate 80 in Nebraska, it's out of control. I don't care who was their 1st.

Yea. Farms always will have a smell. I'm talking about ones that are unbearable. If you are a block away from that Gilbert Farm and you smell intense gasses, then that is a problem because the workers and animals should be treated better. Therefore "I was there 1st" doesn't mean much. if it is a matter of smelling a farm because the wind blows your way, then tough they WERE there 1st. So it depends....

Last edited by MN-Born-n-Raised; 03-08-2016 at 05:37 AM..

Old 03-08-2016, 08:39 AM

1,567 posts, read 1,958,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowWhiteQueen View Post
stay away from the area near Power/202/Ray/Recker because it is loud and stinky!
Isn't that technically Mesa anyways?

Old 03-08-2016, 08:43 AM

1,567 posts, read 1,958,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wit-nit View Post
Oh the price we pay when we move into areas near existing dairy farms.
I have a friend living in Eastmark and apparently they have some neighbors going door-to-door trying to get signatures to proposition flight path changes. Same neighbors also complain about the cow smell, scorpions, etc...

Do your homework before buying people - you can see the airport from the main entrance of Eastmark. The airport, the farms all have been there for 5-6 decades. Also - when you build on open desert, expect critters!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area