Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2016, 11:50 AM

177 posts, read 552,595 times

Advertisements

Last year I moved to Gilbert because of the rave reviews. It's by far my least favorite place in the area. Actually I hate it! The cow smell is unbearable! I can't even leave the windows open because of the stench! Then there's the Mesa Gateway airport and it is loud! Airplane noise doesn't normally bother me but there are jets that are so loud they shake my house early in the morning! Oh and if you are pregnant forget it because morning sickness will be even worse when you step outside in the evening when the stench permeates the whole sky! I learned this first hand last year! I just don't understand why Gilbert is so great! I get that it's a good place for families and it's safe and has great schools but it's far from Phoenix and the cow smell is absolutely unbearable! And they are building so many housing developments so in a couple of years more people are going to move here and it's going to be a big cluster just to get around and especially to get out of here to commute into Phoenix. I can't wait to moo-ve away from the stinky cows! Ew! So for anyone who is thinking about moo-ving to Gilbert just know that this place smells like the worst cow manure ever. The evenings are the absolute worst but early mornings stink as well. I can't get away from this stinky place fast enough!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2016, 11:59 AM

9,196 posts, read 16,641,113 times
Hopefully you didn't buy there. There are usually mixed reviews on Gilbert so I'm not sure why you would have moved there simply based on what you read.

Old 03-07-2016, 12:08 PM

No I didn't buy there thank goodness! I feel bad for anybody who buys a house here! I work with a lot of people who live in Gilbert and they love it and I thought I would like it too. I'm renting a house and I love the house but just hate the area. I had even been here to visit quite a few times and most of my drs are in Gilbert but I was never here during the evenings when the cow smell is at its worst!

Old 03-07-2016, 12:19 PM

1,166 posts, read 755,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowWhiteQueen View Post
Last year I moved to Gilbert because of the rave reviews. It's by far my least favorite place in the area. Actually I hate it! The cow smell is unbearable! I can't even leave the windows open because of the stench! Then there's the Mesa Gateway airport and it is loud! Airplane noise doesn't normally bother me but there are jets that are so loud they shake my house early in the morning! Oh and if you are pregnant forget it because morning sickness will be even worse when you step outside in the evening when the stench permeates the whole sky! I learned this first hand last year! I just don't understand why Gilbert is so great! I get that it's a good place for families and it's safe and has great schools but it's far from Phoenix and the cow smell is absolutely unbearable! And they are building so many housing developments so in a couple of years more people are going to move here and it's going to be a big cluster just to get around and especially to get out of here to commute into Phoenix. I can't wait to moo-ve away from the stinky cows! Ew! So for anyone who is thinking about moo-ving to Gilbert just know that this place smells like the worst cow manure ever. The evenings are the absolute worst but early mornings stink as well. I can't get away from this stinky place fast enough!

This is why you can't always trust people, especially online. I have seen so many posters here at CD tell people that Gilbert would be a great place to live, and they actually argue with posters that mention the horrible stench. My job required me to travel all over the area for work and after going to places like Gilbert and Maricopa, I would leave my clothes in the garage and it still took a couple of days to get the smell out of my nostrils. No way would I ever consider living there.

Old 03-07-2016, 12:24 PM

1,350 posts, read 1,366,961 times
When I was a kid I worked at a hardware/etc. store and every day I'd have to change clothes after work and shower because I just reeked of fertilizer and it just permeated my clothes, hair, even my skin. Fertilizer was probably less than 10% of what we sold but man did it ever stink up the whole store, and this was the chemical/nitrogen kind you can store indoors. The really stinky stuff was kept in a cage out back so it wasn't a big problem.

Edit -- if you ever go to or drive along the Salton Sea during one of their famous hot-weather fish-kills...you'll have the same effect, except you'll smell like dead fish instead of fertilizer. Kind of amazing that nature can make hundreds or thousands of square miles smell that strongly that you "bring it back" with you.

Old 03-07-2016, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phxone View Post
This is why you can't always trust people, especially online. I have seen so many posters here at CD tell people that Gilbert would be a great place to live, and they actually argue with posters that mention the horrible stench. My job required me to travel all over the area for work and after going to places like Gilbert and Maricopa, I would leave my clothes in the garage and it still took a couple of days to get the smell out of my nostrils. No way would I ever consider living there.

Ew! Anybody who would argue about the stench either can't smell or is denial lol! The smell lingers in my car and in my nostrils as well! 😀😩😳😟

Old 03-07-2016, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottsdaleMark View Post
When I was a kid I worked at a hardware/etc. store and every day I'd have to change clothes after work and shower because I just reeked of fertilizer and it just permeated my clothes, hair, even my skin. Fertilizer was probably less than 10% of what we sold but man did it ever stink up the whole store, and this was the chemical/nitrogen kind you can store indoors. The really stinky stuff was kept in a cage out back so it wasn't a big problem.

Edit -- if you ever go to or drive along the Salton Sea during one of their famous hot-weather fish-kills...you'll have the same effect, except you'll smell like dead fish instead of fertilizer. Kind of amazing that nature can make hundreds or thousands of square miles smell that strongly that you "bring it back" with you.
Ew gross! Dead fish smell makes cow manure not seem so bad lol!

Old 03-07-2016, 12:33 PM

1,220 posts, read 1,594,921 times
How are you going to move to a cow town and than complain about the smell??

Old 03-07-2016, 12:35 PM

8,081 posts, read 6,957,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elcajones View Post
How are you going to move to a cow town and than complain about the smell??
Exactly, this whole city used to smell like Gilbert.

Old 03-07-2016, 12:58 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,408,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowWhiteQueen View Post
No I didn't buy there thank goodness! I feel bad for anybody who buys a house here! I work with a lot of people who live in Gilbert and they love it and I thought I would like it too. I'm renting a house and I love the house but just hate the area. I had even been here to visit quite a few times and most of my drs are in Gilbert but I was never here during the evenings when the cow smell is at its worst!

I don't believe every area in the entire town of Gilbert had this problem, so your topic title, and your premise, are overbroad. None of the people you worked with told you that this issue exists in certain areas? Good that you are renting, but, even with renting I would have talked to neighbors about the neighborhood, and visited in day and evening hours, before I signed on the dotted line in any area I wasn't VERY familiar with. Not just for odor issues, but all sorts of neighborhood issues. Just be ready to move when your lease is up, or see if your landlord will let you move sooner. If coming here and venting made you feel better, that's fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area