Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2016, 09:27 AM

685 posts, read 720,807 times

Advertisements

Unbelievable.....
I completely agree with the folks who said to pay attention to what is around you when you're looking for a place to live. Look up from the cell phones and open your eyes to the world around you and use common sense.

I do have to ask... if you happened to see the cow farm, did you think it was going to smell like steak or hamburgers?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2016, 10:26 AM

8,081 posts, read 6,963,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajonesaz View Post
I have a friend living in Eastmark and apparently they have some neighbors going door-to-door trying to get signatures to proposition flight path changes. Same neighbors also complain about the cow smell, scorpions, etc...

Do your homework before buying people - you can see the airport from the main entrance of Eastmark. The airport, the farms all have been there for 5-6 decades. Also - when you build on open desert, expect critters!
This reminds me of the qualms between Sun City Grand and Luke AFB. One is an enormous economic center for Glendale and has been for decades, one is a relatively new resort style living area for old fuddy duddies.

I lived right up against Luke for awhile, I liked it personally.

Old 03-08-2016, 10:32 AM

2,806 posts, read 3,179,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post
Frankly, it is cruel to have animals stew in their own crap 24-7. The gases the animals produce from their urine and feces can be harmful. I'm talking about intense levels of ammonia, hydrogen sulfide, and methane. I'm from the Midwest and most farms don't smell nearly as much as others. I've driven by some farms in Nebraska (on hwy 80) that are downright vile for over a mile stretch! Animals and people are in those areas as they step on their own liquified sh_t all day long. I'm not a tree hugger and I LOVE a great steak. But I am willing to pay a little extra and support laws that avoid this level of cruelty. In other words,not all farms stink the same. If you think you know what I am talking about without experiencing it, you don't. The smells are INTENSE and will quickly give you a headache.

Smells can be cut down by the diet, covering the manure in storage (even as simply as using straw), biofilters, broadcast techniques, vegetation buffers, and a dozen other ways. The smells will therefore be manageable. In other words, manage the stink so it isn't cruel to the animals. But SOME farmers are only worried about the bottom line. They really don't care about their workers health either because all to often they are migrant workers. YES, those bottomline management farmers were there 1st. But if it stinks intensely like some of the ones on Interstate 80 in Nebraska, it's out of control. I don't care who was their 1st.

Yea. Farms always will have a smell. I'm talking about ones that are unbearable. If you are a block away from that Gilbert Farm and you smell intense gasses, then that is a problem because the workers and animals should be treated better. Therefore "I was there 1st" doesn't mean much. if it is a matter of smelling a farm because the wind blows your way, then tough they WERE there 1st. So it depends....
I remember reading a study that compared allergies in humans in heavily industrialized and heavy farming areas and the farming areas beat out by orders of magnitude. So intensive farming is probably way more dangerous than factories, or the latter may just be better regulated. But I was quite shocked at the results. You usually assume rural areas are more healthy for humans... but they can be opposite. Your concerns are well-founded.

Old 03-08-2016, 10:33 AM

483 posts, read 665,885 times
Holy Cow!!

Someone had to say it.

Old 03-08-2016, 01:20 PM

5,229 posts, read 4,614,075 times
Cows are wonderful. They're part of life. Hang tough another year or two and you'll get used to it. After a while it's no worse than any other fragrance or aroma on earth. They're quite cuddly, really.

Old 03-09-2016, 02:15 PM

4,071 posts, read 5,150,271 times
Like a rancher friend of mine used to say "Smells like money".

Old 03-09-2016, 02:17 PM

2,013 posts, read 1,430,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KurtAZ View Post
Like a rancher friend of mine used to say "Smells like money".
Pretty sure that's bull****.

Old 03-21-2016, 04:15 PM

177 posts, read 552,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt Cassidy View Post
Cows are wonderful. They're part of life. Hang tough another year or two and you'll get used to it. After a while it's no worse than any other fragrance or aroma on earth. They're quite cuddly, really.
Ew! I don't think I will ever get used to the stench lol! 😷

I think it is so cruel to have all of those cows living so close together and living in their own manure and smell. It's so mean! Poor cows!

Old 03-21-2016, 04:52 PM

2,806 posts, read 3,179,552 times
Soon we'll drink cultured milk and eat cultured meats so no more needs for cows and ranching. Delivered from your biotech friends.
In earnest I think these activities will soon be over as we can bio-engineer milk and meet without need to raise and then kill animals. So the smell will be gone too.

Old 03-21-2016, 05:52 PM

1,220 posts, read 1,596,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Potential_Landlord View Post
Soon we'll drink cultured milk and eat cultured meats so no more needs for cows and ranching. Delivered from your biotech friends.
In earnest I think these activities will soon be over as we can bio-engineer milk and meet without need to raise and then kill animals. So the smell will be gone too.
I'm not really comfortable with that idea at all. Perhaps it's simply because it's such a foreign idea. OTOH what if all future beef is bio-engineered and it's all near perfect. Only prime grade equivalent meat . Either way don't sound appetizing off hand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area