Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2016, 08:12 PM

6,343 posts, read 14,683,204 times

Advertisements

Freeway shootings update: Accused freeway shooter Leslie Merritt Jr. released from jail - ABC15 Arizona

So, we arrested this guy, smeared his name all over the national news, even the Governor took a few licks at him... The prosecutor bloviated on and on about how "airtight" the case was, how this was the bad dude..

And now.. after seven months in solitary confinement he goes free.. The "evidence" was garbage, and BTW, when the defendant's lawyer began talking to the press about how bad the case was, the prosecutor sought (and got) a gag order to shut him up..

When does the prosecutor go to jail for smearing someone's character without good evidence?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2016, 09:20 PM

1,995 posts, read 2,076,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippyman View Post
Freeway shootings update: Accused freeway shooter Leslie Merritt Jr. released from jail - ABC15 Arizona

So, we arrested this guy, smeared his name all over the national news, even the Governor took a few licks at him... The prosecutor bloviated on and on about how "airtight" the case was, how this was the bad dude..

And now.. after seven months in solitary confinement he goes free.. The "evidence" was garbage, and BTW, when the defendant's lawyer began talking to the press about how bad the case was, the prosecutor sought (and got) a gag order to shut him up..

When does the prosecutor go to jail for smearing someone's character without good evidence?
WE didn't do anything. This was national news; people getting randomly shot at by people usually are, because its something that could happen to anyone, anywhere, at any time.

I don't ever recall hearing the prosecutor speak about this case. I remember hearing about Ducey's tweet. Everything I remember was how they thought they had the weapon from the pawn shop, and how it was pawned several hours after the fourth shooting.

Most cases do get gag orders, that's nothing new.

If the case was based on the timing a similar weapon was pawned then that's absurd. If theres actual evidence that it was this specific weapon then that's some tough proof to crack. Either way, the case is not over, I will try to keep an open mind until the end.

Are you one of the two attorneys or the guy's idiot father?

Old 04-19-2016, 09:26 PM

5,229 posts, read 4,610,327 times
I remember that the media hype was being blamed early and often. Perhaps rightly so. Then there was the copycat possibility which received more media hype. We may never know at this point.

Old 04-19-2016, 09:36 PM

6,343 posts, read 14,683,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adriver View Post
WE didn't do anything. This was national news; people getting randomly shot at by people usually are, because its something that could happen to anyone, anywhere, at any time.

I don't ever recall hearing the prosecutor speak about this case. I remember hearing about Ducey's tweet. Everything I remember was how they thought they had the weapon from the pawn shop, and how it was pawned several hours after the fourth shooting.

Most cases do get gag orders, that's nothing new.

If the case was based on the timing a similar weapon was pawned then that's absurd. If theres actual evidence that it was this specific weapon then that's some tough proof to crack. Either way, the case is not over, I will try to keep an open mind until the end.

Are you one of the two attorneys or the guy's idiot father?
Not connected to this case in any way, except via my wallet - as a taxpayer & I'm a little tired of the "Wild West" attitude amongst the police & prosecutors here. The gag order wasn't applied for until after the prosecutor got his licks in, and that's dirty pool, not "standard practice". We pay those folks *very* well compared to to the private sector, the least they can do is be honest when they present "evidence".

Old 04-19-2016, 10:29 PM

2,852 posts, read 4,501,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippyman View Post

I totally agree on everything you wrote.

When someone is suspected of committing a crime the prosecutors had better be darn certain they have the right person and enough evidence to convict him before they throw him in jail and ruin his life forever.

The case isn't over yet but if the man turns out to be innocent I wouldn't hesitate to prosecute the prosecutors.

Whatever happens in the end, I smell a major lawsuit brewing.

Old 04-19-2016, 10:41 PM

23,221 posts, read 29,034,905 times
Prosecutorial misconduct is all but the norm in this country, this is not an isolated case within the judicial system of this country.

A scrumptious lawsuit is on the way, piled atop all the other pending lawsuits against Arpaio in Maricopa County.

There was good reason to find some suspect, any suspect, in this case, to quell the fears of tourists and residents.

Old 04-20-2016, 01:04 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,408,068 times
Well, not "free" but "free pending trial".... there's a difference, but the evidence in this case is clearly not what we were all told it was up front.

The lawsuit won't come until the criminal proceedings are concluded (which could be sooner rather than later), but it will surely happen if they end in his favor.

Old 04-20-2016, 06:21 AM

8,081 posts, read 6,957,002 times
The link between the shootings and the "shooter" is too attenuated to hold him anymore. When he gets off, which is looking probable, expect some expensive civil suits against the County, the Governor, Attorney General and whoever else can be tacked on in this mess.

I really wanted the judge to grant the deposition on Ducey for his bone headed tweet. But I knew it was far fetched.

Old 04-20-2016, 08:54 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,005,313 times
I had said way back at the start that the seizure of the gun from the pawn shop would be an issue and said gun evidence was not the end all be all to this case.
Looks like that may just come to pass.

Old 04-20-2016, 09:01 AM

7,284 posts, read 16,681,102 times
This state sure loves its grandstanding officials. It's horrifying to think what our legal system would be like if some of these people had their way with it, and in some cases, they already do have their way with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area