Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-15-2016, 06:24 AM

1 posts, read 7,256 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

Coming down from Canada for a few days to Scottsdale and I'm very interested in seeing the Jets flyby at Luke Airforce Base. I searched and there was an old thread on here saying this happens daily. Can anyone give me details as to where how and when?

Anything similar to do around Phoenix if you're into that sort of thing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2016, 12:00 PM

2,772 posts, read 5,722,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 240sxer View Post
Hi all,

Coming down from Canada for a few days to Scottsdale and I'm very interested in seeing the Jets flyby at Luke Airforce Base. I searched and there was an old thread on here saying this happens daily. Can anyone give me details as to where how and when?

Some days they fly, some days they don't.
I don't think they have a posted schedule (unless they are doing late night flights).
It is after all, an air force installation, so I don't think making their schedule public is a priority.

Old 05-15-2016, 12:27 PM

1,701 posts, read 1,874,414 times
I don't know about schedule but it is pretty cool to watch them. I used to deliver pizzas out in Litchfield and would see them while driving now and then. Very cool.

Old 05-15-2016, 03:11 PM

743 posts, read 875,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burning Madolf View Post
Some days they fly, some days they don't.
I don't think they have a posted schedule (unless they are doing late night flights).
It is after all, an air force installation, so I don't think making their schedule public is a priority.
This sums it up. Unless you have other things to do/see in the very far west valley, it will be hit or miss. The base frowns upon parking on Northern by the base (posted no parking), but I see cars there stopped to take a look. Northern and Litchfield is the landing flight path right now. Take off you could see okay on Camelback/Sarival, or park just off of Camelback on Sarival. They are doing construction there on the corner lot, but so far it's just dirt work.

They usually don't fly on Sunday's. Most days it's between 9am-5pm.

Old 05-15-2016, 05:37 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,214,540 times
I've seen some older guys pulled off in the dirt on northern to watch them. There are also some little traveled roads to the west that give a good view. I have no idea on a schedule. We see then frequently at night if our to the west of the base, but never really pay that much attention to it.

Old 05-15-2016, 06:18 PM

586 posts, read 540,975 times
If you are golfing plan a round at Verrado. If they are flying that day they will go over your head many times and you can drive by Luke on your way to the round and again from the pound. If they are not flying that day you will have at least played a round on a nice course for a reasonable rate.

Old 05-18-2016, 09:18 PM

370 posts, read 1,564,108 times
You might consider going to the Wildlife World Zoo. It can be a fun day and the AFB is on the way (still headed to Verrado). Of course, you can watch planes land at Sky Harbor by just pulling over on a side street around 24th Street and McDowell. Helicopters can usually be seen around the Mesa Airport. I think there is a group of older planes you can arrange a flight on at Mesa - museum there? If you head down towards Tucson, there is a huge "boneyard" of planes. I think they still give "tours". Just depends on what your interest is......

Old 05-19-2016, 05:45 AM

9,741 posts, read 11,152,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 240sxer View Post
Hi all,

Because of monthly flying budgets, Luke planes (now mostly F35's) are MUCH more active around the 1st 15 days of the month versus the last week (they run out of hours at the end of the month). If you want to see them take off on the runway, golf at Falcon Dunes (see https://lukeevents.com/golf/ ). You will be extremely close. I have golfed a few times there with some retired military members. I'm pretty sure anyone can golf there (but you pay more as a guy off the street). Call them to double check. Bring your earplugs. I have an application on my phone that measures Sound Pressure Levels. Several times it was >than +140 dB's. Yes, you can damage your ears at those levels.

Old 05-19-2016, 09:33 AM

24,279 posts, read 13,132,107 times
AETC (the training command that Luke and the 56th Wing is part of) is not flying the 27th of May.

When I was an instructor at Luke the hours of operation were 0600-midnight. That's been curtailed quite a bit as several F-16 training squadrons have been relocated to Holloman AFB in New Mexico and the F-35 isn't flying as much. Not a fair trade for the students, if you ask me. Phoenix area versus Alamorgordo...

A good place to just hang out and watch, especially if they're operating off of runways 21 (to the southwest) is where Bethany Home turns into Alsup on Luke's west side. Just for kicks I did the Google StreetView thing and it looks like a whole bunch of folks have set up camps to do some planespotting.

https://www.google.com/maps/@33.5227...!6m1!1e1?hl=en
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area