Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2016, 05:42 PM

445 posts, read 517,591 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cab591 View Post
Good point.

Also, for the love of god, don't say "CenPho" for central Phoenix. Either say "central Phoenix", "central", "downtown", or "downtown Phoenix". "Midtown" and "Central Ave" are also acceptable.
People actually say CenPho? Eeewww...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2016, 05:58 PM

197 posts, read 454,993 times
Quote:
Good point.

Also, for the love of god, don't say "CenPho" for central Phoenix. Either say "central Phoenix", "central", "downtown", or "downtown Phoenix". "Midtown" and "Central Ave" are also acceptable.
What about "Central City"?

Old 05-25-2016, 06:05 PM

772 posts, read 841,186 times
Quote:
Good point.

Exactly it's called midtown all these stupid hipster names are annoying. This isn't San Francisco these areas already have long established names.

Old 05-25-2016, 06:25 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,940,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TempeAZnative View Post
Exactly it's called midtown all these stupid hipster names are annoying. This isn't San Francisco these areas already have long established names.
Agreed. When I talk about the older parts of Phoenix south around Indian School, I call it central Phoenix as well.

Old 05-25-2016, 08:44 PM

6,408 posts, read 9,015,839 times
Pleased that I wasn't the only one shaking my head at "RoRo". As a resident of the Roosevelt, I will never let anyone get away with that!

On a more serious note, it's a good area. Get in while there's still affordable units. I'm hanging in here until my complex is purchased and raized by a high end condo magnate (convinced it will happen). The hipsters here aren't unbearable but wish they'd learn how to parallel park properly.

Old 05-25-2016, 11:11 PM

197 posts, read 454,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stasi_crystals View Post
What about "Central City"?
...or not?

Old 05-25-2016, 11:15 PM

8,081 posts, read 6,985,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stasi_crystals View Post
...or not?
I use midtown and Central Phoenix almost interchangeably. Never Central City doesn't really stick for some reason.

Old 05-26-2016, 06:20 AM

7,284 posts, read 16,721,075 times
Sounds like a good fit. New stuff is popping up all over the place around there.

Old 05-26-2016, 12:07 PM

408 posts, read 582,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKIII View Post
Looking for a little advice, folks, and would love your input.

Lifelong Chicagoan, that came down about a year ago for work. I've been in Tempe, near Mill for quite some time and have begun seriously chafing at the lower age bracket of the area while trying to expand my social circles and date around. (I'm in my late 20's, as opposed to the 18-23 average of the area.)

Due to this, the bulk of my work being downtown, and my hatred of my current studio- a few acquaintances began pushing me towards hunting around the Roosevelt Row area. Further implying that my glory days in the Chicago Punk scene would make it a fantastic fit (I now get up for work at 4am, monday through friday, so much of that, besides the people, is long behind me!)

I found a few decent studios that were within my budgeting and size needs in Garfield Park, off ninth and Fillmore and am looking at pursuing one or two of them. But before I commit to anything, does this sound like a decent fit to you all?
I lived in Garfield for a year off 7th street and pierce, in a historic renovated duplex. I'd say go for it there's a lot of cool bars, attractions (music venues, art galleries, coffee shops) that cater to your age group. Tempe is mostly for younger college crowd, downtown still "pulls" late 20's and more early 30s than Tempe is these days. My place was 2 bed 1 bath for $900 a month including water, trash included. The spot was centrally located to downtown, not far from Tempe, Biltmore or airport. I think that's why I loved the location. I could feel Garfield was ripe for a little "gentrifying" here and there, the flavor of the neighborhood is what I don't want it to shed...

Old 05-26-2016, 12:49 PM

8,048 posts, read 12,306,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMotorsport64 View Post
I use midtown and Central Phoenix almost interchangeably. Never Central City doesn't really stick for some reason.
I call the midtown area the Central Corridor, or north Central Corridor. Central City is more appropriate for the downtown area. One name I never liked was Copper Square ... talk about lame! That sounds more appropriate for the downtown areas of Globe, Bisbee, or Jerome. Phoenix needs to be more sophisticated on some of these location names ... and I would include some street names in this category as well, but that's a different topic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area