Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2016, 07:49 AM

966 posts, read 1,344,706 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
I didn't hear people complaining when they shot "The Kingdom" on the 202 Red Mountain 10 years ago
There is a difference, that section of the 202 was not yet opened to traffic, in this case, the 303 is open and used everyday.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2016, 08:28 AM

1,484 posts, read 3,138,639 times
Right now would be considered the heart of rush hour right? All green on the detour except for some expected backup at lights.

Old 06-10-2016, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Thousands of working people will have their commutes disrupted and thousands more travelers will be routed miles out of their way wasting both gas and time.

4.3 miles. Hardly anything to get your panties in a bunch about. I have a truck that's not very fuel efficient. If I had to take this detour twice a day for the five days it's closed it would cost me an extra $7 over that time. Any sort of economy vehicle would be maybe 2 to 3 bucks. Skip that double pump of syrup at Starbucks and they'll make up for the extra cost.

I swear people wake up, scour the news wondering what they're going to complain about today.

Old 06-10-2016, 09:04 AM

39,075 posts, read 51,205,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungle View Post
Right now would be considered the heart of rush hour right? All green on the detour except for some expected backup at lights.
There is no expected backup at those lights on a normal day. Traffic is backed up at all the choke points to a near standstill. There is no justification for closing down a freeway to film a movie. None.

Old 06-10-2016, 09:11 AM

This just doesn't bother me. Road construction doesn't bother me. Car crash delays don't bother me. I have so much more important stuff to worry about. Maybe I'm in the minority with this but why sweat it if it's out of your control? Just put some good music on in your car and chill.

Old 06-10-2016, 09:13 AM

Quote:
4.3 miles. Hardly anything to get your panties in a bunch about. I have a truck that's not very fuel efficient. If I had to take this detour twice a day for the five days it's closed it would cost me an extra $7 over that time. Any sort of economy vehicle would be maybe 2 to 3 bucks. Skip that double pump of syrup at Starbucks and they'll make up for the extra cost.

I swear people wake up, scour the news wondering what they're going to complain about today.
Multiply that by thousands of cars over 5 days and it is a real cost to the people who use that route. The time is worse than the money. Traffic is backed up all along the route now. Just because it does not affect you is not a justification for it. It is wrong and if it were a road you used, you would be complaining too.

Old 06-10-2016, 09:15 AM

Quote:
This just doesn't bother me. Road construction doesn't bother me. Car crash delays don't bother me. I have so much more important stuff to worry about. Maybe I'm in the minority with this but why sweat it if it's out of your control? Just put some good music on in your car and chill.
I don't have a medical marijuana card, haha.

Old 06-10-2016, 09:41 AM

2,784 posts, read 7,445,057 times
There are two possible outcomes:

1) This causes significant delay, inconvenience, and loss of productivity, indicating the decision to allow the closure was a poor one.

2) This causes no major problems, suggesting that maybe building the 303 wasn't really necessary and that other roads can handle the traffic.

Either way ADOT doesn't look good.

Old 06-10-2016, 09:46 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,587,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by exit2lef View Post
There are two possible outcomes:

1) This causes significant delay, inconvenience, and loss of productivity, indicating the decision to allow the closure was a poor one.

2) This causes no major problems, suggesting that maybe building the 303 wasn't really necessary and that other roads can handle the traffic.

Either way ADOT doesn't look good.
The 303 still can keep truck traffic out of the heart of the valley, which is why the 202 South Mountain and the 30 "I-10 Reliever" are just as necessary. I live near downtown Phoenix, and too much traffic has to go right through on 10&17 because we don't have as many bypasses as other big metros.

Old 06-10-2016, 10:32 AM

576 posts, read 830,455 times
To me, the bigger story here is the fact that AZ DOT did not explain in their press releases why this section of roadway was being closed. If it is true that it is to film a movie, then this smells like a cover up. Not very transparent. I wonder why people don't trust their government?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area