Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2016, 01:31 AM

10,719 posts, read 20,306,020 times

Advertisements

"A development called the Foundry would be a nine-story building that includes plans for a 41,000-square-foot Whole Foods. A three-level parking garage would be above the store with a clubhouse and 290 apartments on the upper five levels. A Whole Foods official confirmed the development of design plans at that location with an opening date of spring 2018."

You have to like the direction Tempe is going in. Whole Foods by itself is a big attraction. This will be an urban Whole Foods and contrary to what some critics may say is too expensive for students, young people flock to Whole Foods. Also, this will enhance the idea that downtown Tempe is sustainable as a place of residence. It will attract more development to the area.

Whole Foods likely to become 1st grocery store in downtown Tempe in 15 years

Last edited by azriverfan.; 06-28-2016 at 02:01 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2016, 08:45 AM

2,789 posts, read 7,456,233 times
It's not mentioned in the article, but on his Facebook page, Tempe City Councilman Kolby Granville has made a passing comment that this would not be a traditional Whole Foods store, but instead a Whole Foods 365 store. 365 is the name of the Whole Foods' store brand, and new stores operating under that name are supposed to be more affordable.

Old 06-28-2016, 08:49 AM

4,624 posts, read 9,282,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by exit2lef View Post
It's not mentioned in the article, but on his Facebook page, Tempe City Councilman Kolby Granville has made a passing comment that this would not be a traditional Whole Foods store, but instead a Whole Foods 365 store. 365 is the name of the Whole Foods' store brand, and new stores operating under that name are supposed to be more affordable.
Yep the 365 stores are geared towards millennials on a budget. They just recently opened some of these concepts in So Cal.

Old 06-28-2016, 10:10 AM

1,567 posts, read 1,958,501 times
I don't get too excited over Tempe's proposed plans any more. Lately some of the good ones have never came to fruition.

But ASU could use a grocery store within walking distance.

Old 06-28-2016, 02:05 PM

394 posts, read 343,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asufan View Post
Yep the 365 stores are geared towards millennials on a budget. They just recently opened some of these concepts in So Cal.
I'm not familiar with the "365" versions... but, there have been a bunch of Whole Foods in SoCal for quite a while... nothing budget about them - but I wasn't impressed at all... I went to the one in Huntington Beach - once was enough, I prefer Pavilions all day long.

Maybe the one(s) in Phoenix will be better?...

Now Gelson's - that's a place worth paying the extra money for!

Old 06-28-2016, 02:08 PM

4,624 posts, read 9,282,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ_Rookie View Post
I'm not familiar with the "365" versions... but, there have been a bunch of Whole Foods in SoCal for quite a while... nothing budget about them - but I wasn't impressed at all... I went to the one in Huntington Beach - once was enough, I prefer Pavilions all day long.

Like I said, it's a new more affordable concept, not the regular old whole foods you went into. I don't really have much need for them either, Fry's and Sprout's is enough for my needs

Old 06-28-2016, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asufan View Post
Like I said, it's a new more affordable concept, not the regular old whole foods you went into. I don't really have much need for them either, Fry's and Sprout's is enough for my needs
I noticed Fry's is real popular out there... I'm not familiar - but apparently it will be my mainstay...

for anyone familiar with SoCal, what is Fry's comparable to? Ralphs/Albertsons I imagine?... I'll find out soon enough I guess, not many choices that I've seen...

Old 06-28-2016, 02:17 PM

9,480 posts, read 12,301,155 times
Quote:

Whole Foods in general is not new to the valley. Just new to downtown Tempe. Whole Foods is not budget in general, but their 365 Brand is. It's their version of store brand and lower price than other brands they carry. An entire store of just 365 would e much more affordable.

Old 06-28-2016, 04:43 PM

296 posts, read 364,682 times
Quote:
I noticed Fry's is real popular out there... I'm not familiar - but apparently it will be my mainstay...

for anyone familiar with SoCal, what is Fry's comparable to? Ralphs/Albertsons I imagine?... I'll find out soon enough I guess, not many choices that I've seen...

Fry's is (now) part of the Kroger brand and you will see their store brands in the store. They also own Ralphs so I'm assuming it would be very similar. We have Albertsons and Safeway out here and they are owned by the same company now so they tend to be similar though some of their weekly deals are different. From my experience, all factored Frys is generally the list expensive regular chain in the area. Make sure you get a card. You can load digital coupons right on to your card as well and you can load a specific free item on your card every Friday. There are four types of Fry's but they all carry the same sales - regular Fry's (most common), Fry's Marketplace (has clothing and other expanded items), Fry's Signature Marketplace (cross between regular and Whole Foods?), and Fry's Mercardo (Mexican). I've only seen the Fry's Signature stores in the northeast metro area. It is a shame because I love that store!

Old 06-28-2016, 04:50 PM

^^^thabk you for the great info RenW!

I like Kroger products - so Frys should work well for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area