Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2016, 12:21 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,296,391 times

Advertisements

It's a nice regional airport but it is pretty lacking for a city of this size. The international flights are paltry and they really need to do more to attract those. And it could attract more carriers in general like Virgin America.

I'm not a fan of the brown and tope look whether it's the carpet or the walls. It looks provincial and does not have the appearance of a major metropolitan airport. The airport needs to look more modern instead of brown adobe hut. Personally, I don't understand why everything in Phoenix has to have a desert theme. This is a major metropolitan city. Just because it's in the desert, it doesn't mean everything has to look brown and have that theme.

They have improved Terminal 4 considerably. I like the addition of the monorail that goes to the economy parking lots and the city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2016, 12:34 PM

9,576 posts, read 7,332,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
I'm not a fan of the brown and tope look whether it's the carpet or the walls. It looks provincial and does not have the appearance of a major metropolitan airport. The airport needs to look more modern instead of brown adobe hut. Personally, I don't understand why everything in Phoenix has to have a desert theme. This is a major metropolitan city. Just because it's in the desert, it doesn't mean everything has to look brown and have that theme.
I know what you mean, at least the new T3 renovations are including more glass:

Old 07-14-2016, 12:55 PM

169 posts, read 281,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
It's a nice regional airport but it is pretty lacking for a city of this size. The international flights are paltry and they really need to do more to attract those. And it could attract more carriers in general like Virgin America.
I hate to break it to you but Phoenix is not even on most international tourist's radar. I love living here and the city provides a good standard of living for cheap, but it's one big boring, bland suburb from a tourist's perspective. Arizona's biggest draw is the Grand Canyon, which most people visit from Las Vegas. So the reason we don't have more international flights at Sky Harbor is due to lack of demand. I'm surprised we still have the BA flight direct to London although I'd imagine it's a bit expensive for most of us.

Old 07-14-2016, 01:06 PM

430 posts, read 290,771 times
Terminals 3 & 4 makes it look a World class Airport.......

Terminal 2 makes it look a third world Airport.

I would say that between Terminals 3 and 4, the design looks much more better and sophisticated than DFW Airport. Its just that if your trying to connect to a flight in terminal 2 its terrible commute where you have to physically walk outside in the 100 degree heat and walk into that departure/Arrival area of that section questioning if your in the same Airport.

Old 07-14-2016, 01:30 PM

Location: The edge of the world and all of Western civilization
984 posts, read 1,191,900 times
It is not one of the nicest in the world. Hong Kong, Seoul-Incheon, Frankfurt, Denver, Las Vegas and Sydney Kingsford Smith are some airports I've used that are far superior. They're generally laid out well to facilitate the process, plus have more to do in terms of transportation, shopping and passing time. The biggest advantage to Phoenix is its central location, but other than that it's slightly better than practical. Aesthetically, parts of the airport are nice, but it's congested, lacking in service (more to do with the area itself than the airport), and not very unique.

Old 07-14-2016, 02:07 PM

7,327 posts, read 12,336,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obrienlester View Post
Terminals 3 & 4 makes it look a World class Airport.......

Terminal 2 makes it look a third world Airport.

I would say that between Terminals 3 and 4, the design looks much more better and sophisticated than DFW Airport. Its just that if your trying to connect to a flight in terminal 2 its terrible commute where you have to physically walk outside in the 100 degree heat and walk into that departure/Arrival area of that section questioning if your in the same Airport.
I agree that Terminal 2 is a dinosaur compared to the other two. Luckily it will close once the Terminal 3 renovation/expansion is complete.

Old 07-14-2016, 02:10 PM

239 posts, read 724,239 times
I have a question if I'm traveling to Phoenix Sky Harbor International Airport, how will I know which carousel to look to for my luggage as far as the baggage claim?

I'm headed to Phoenix for the 1st time in October.

Old 07-14-2016, 02:14 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,412,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antwuan View Post
I have a question if I'm traveling to Phoenix Sky Harbor International Airport, how will I know which carousel to look to for my luggage as far as the baggage claim?

In terminal 4, when you get down to the baggage claim level, you will see a sign telling you which carousel your bags are on, and there are announcements. In Terminal 3, I suspect it is the same, though I have not been in there in a while. Terminal 2 has very few carousels and few flights, it's easy to figure out. Which terminal you are in depends on which airline you are flying. American and Southwest are in 4, Delta and Frontier are the primary carriers in 3, and United and Alaska in 2. If you aren't on one of those airlines, let us know.

Old 07-14-2016, 02:16 PM

430 posts, read 290,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antwuan View Post

More than likely your Airline will tell you or you can find out from the baggage screens.

Old 07-14-2016, 02:17 PM

273 posts, read 209,438 times
I'm from NY originally and have traveled all over the world. Just recently moved to the Phoenix area.

Yes, Phoenix Sky Harbor is one of the better airports out there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area