Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2016, 03:27 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,652,907 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ_Rookie View Post
I moved at the end of August, I have mentioned it. I changed complexes and downsized from a 2bd2bth to a 1bd1bth

My fiance is down to part time while going to school, so since I am pretty much the breadwinner now, I tried to reduced expenses a bit
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2016, 03:29 PM

4,073 posts, read 5,165,928 times
I would have to agree with looking closer to downtown...It sounds like you would fit in nicely in the Biltmore area, possibly Roosevelt Row or take a look around Tempe Town Lake. I believe they have non-student housing with lake views in the area. Chandler/Gilbert/Mesa are more "subdivisions and commute" then it sounds like you would prefer and Old Town Scottsdale is just party central without much of a view.

Old 10-18-2016, 03:34 PM

4,624 posts, read 9,291,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
This is simply not true. You will be far from bars, shops and grocery stores in Scottsdale?? You're not serious are you?
Nala has absolutely no idea what the rest of the valley is like. While people in his area are cheering the $18 million incentive for a Fry's grocery store (wow!) I've had frys and other grocery stores within bicycle distance of my suburban house for years. No shortage of bars and restaurants within a 1-2 mile radius either.

Old 10-18-2016, 03:57 PM

169 posts, read 281,954 times
How is your level of Spanish OP?

Old 10-18-2016, 04:59 PM

61 posts, read 46,141 times
Bro I measured it. Apparently the parking spaces count as sqft.

And I don't support the incentive for Fry's. I'll never shop at that ****ty store. The incentive is for the office and residential tower that Fry's will be located inside.

Old 10-18-2016, 05:00 PM

309 posts, read 813,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nala1908 View Post
I do not see why you are trying to locate so far away. You could find beautiful houses in Phoenix for half your budget. I live downtown, in the city center and I only pay 1000 a month for rent for 950 sqft. My commute is only 5 minute by bike. And I am within walking distance of the train and buses. Which will bring you anywhere.

If you live in Chandler, Mesa, Gilbert, or Scottsdale you will live in a suburban setting, far away from shops and bars and grocery. There is no light rail in those areas and the bus service is spotty and times are limited ( but due to get better here in the upcoming months)

To sum it up, if you want to have a life, don't move to the suburbs. Locate between the 17 and the 51, anywhere north of downtown is going to suit you very well.
Thanks for your observations, this is exactly why I am asking for people's opinions and recommendations - as I do not know the area at all (have been there twice for work so saw the airport, the hotel and the office and the drive inbetween each).

The reason I originally started looking out in the 'burbs is that on researching other posts and other resources these suburbs are highly recommended by many but then when I checked to see how far a commute it was I wanted to know more about living closer to work (i.e. Phoenix itself). City living in itself does not appeal too much if it goes hand-in-hand with a lot of traffic noise etc but a few others have mentioned areas such as Biltmore which might be a happy compromise.

Old 10-18-2016, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigerlily64 View Post
Thanks for your observations, this is exactly why I am asking for people's opinions and recommendations - as I do not know the area at all (have been there twice for work so saw the airport, the hotel and the office and the drive inbetween each).

The reason I originally started looking out in the 'burbs is that on researching other posts and other resources these suburbs are highly recommended by many but then when I checked to see how far a commute it was I wanted to know more about living closer to work (i.e. Phoenix itself). City living in itself does not appeal too much if it goes hand-in-hand with a lot of traffic noise etc but a few others have mentioned areas such as Biltmore which might be a happy compromise.
I would agree with the Biltmore area, anywhere from there and East over to the Arcadia area will be much quieter than Downtown, but still in close proximity and with a possibility of views and access to shopping, dining, etc. I would look North of Indian School Rd in that area personally

Old 10-18-2016, 05:05 PM

309 posts, read 813,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phenomenon View Post
How is your level of Spanish OP?
Why?

My parents lived in Spain for 30+ years and at one time as a teenager my Spanish was reasonable but now not used in years so extremely rusty!

Old 10-18-2016, 05:08 PM

61 posts, read 46,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigerlily64 View Post

Yes Arcadia and the Biltmore area are nice. They are close to lots of upscale shopping. Living in the city there is not much noise, this is not Chicago, traffic dies after 6pm.

I believe you see so much positive feed back from people living in the suburbs because 95% of the valley is a suburb type setting. Even the majority of the city of Phoenix could be considered suburban. Biltmore has some 10 story office towers and residential towers, but this is mostly built on the reputation of a bygone era. And between biltmore and downtown is atkeast 15 minutes with no traffic. 20 minutes to downtown via bicycle

Old 10-18-2016, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nala1908 View Post
Bro I measured it. Apparently the parking spaces count as sqft.

And I don't support the incentive for Fry's. I'll never shop at that ****ty store. The incentive is for the office and residential tower that Fry's will be located inside.
Lets be real, the Fry's was the highly publicized crown jewel of that development. It was what everyone talked about, and subsidized grocery stores are not a new concept (see Verrado's bashas for example). And what are you talking about with the parking spaces
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area