Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2016, 05:53 PM

309 posts, read 812,516 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
OP, don't make the assumption that ALL of Scottsdale is pricey. You can find comparable homes in older parts of Scottsdale that will most likely be cheaper than newer builds in Chandler, but you'll be close to all the action, so-to-speak.
Thank you, I saw that when I looked at Zillow last night, there are different zip codes within Scottsdale that seem cheaper.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2016, 06:10 PM

8,081 posts, read 6,966,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigerlily64 View Post
Thank you for the info and the well wishes - appreciated.

Just one question about Tempe - we had not really considered this area as research seemed to be saying it is an area full of students/shared housing/ everything that goes along with a uni on the doorstep. Someone else in this thread mentioned the area around the Tempe lake as being nice - is it possible to give me some street references for where within the Tempe area would not be student oriented?
Look South of Broadway and you'll do just fine. I had a house over there in an older neighborhood with lots of trees and grass. From that house, one could walk or short bike ride to over 15 different restaurants, 3 bars including one with a music venue, 3 grocery stores (including 2 different Fry's and a Walmart), a 99 cent only store, three gas stations, and a liquor store. The neighborhood also had Orbit and the City Bus to get to Downtown Tempe/Mill/ASU or the Rail if you wanted to do that.

Downtown doesn't even have 1 grocery store.

Tempe, south of Broadway, is very nice and not full of students per the reputation.

Old 10-20-2016, 10:05 PM

61 posts, read 46,028 times
2 frys and a Walmart. And you are trying to say that's an area they would like to live? Lmao

Those are the worst 2 grocery stores in the area. aJ's, sprouts, trader Joe's, and whole foods are the best.
Then el rancho market, Safeway, bashas, Fry's, food city, and Walmart.

In order from best to worst.

Downtown has 2 grocery stores within a mile. El rancho market on 16th and Roosevelt and safeway on McDowell and 3rd street. There is an AJs on camelback and central which is a short train ride away. No Walmart or food city anywhere near by. And a Fry's to be built downtown by 2018

Old 10-20-2016, 10:10 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,627,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nala1908 View Post
2 frys and a Walmart. And you are trying to say that's an area they would like to live? Lmao

Those are the worst 2 grocery stores in the area. aJ's, sprouts, trader Joe's, and whole foods are the best.

Downtown has 2 grocery stores within a mile. El rancho market on 16th and Roosevelt and safeway on McDowell and 3rd street. There is an AJs on camelback and central which is a short train ride away. No Walmart or food city anywhere near by. And a Fry's to be built downtown by 2018
There is a Food City at the 51/20th St and McDowell. And there's a WalMart at 36th St and Thomas

Old 10-20-2016, 11:02 PM

Quote:

But can you walk to them? If not the rest of this post is nonsense. Since I live in Central Phoenix, I'll answer my own question, the answer is no. No grocery stores
Downtown!

Old 10-20-2016, 11:10 PM

I walk to them so....yes you can? You can't walk a ****ing mile? Or take a bus, or take a train???? The food city (3miles) and Walmart (6 miles) are MULTIPLE MILES AWAY. very different (much worse) neighborhoods.

If you are so dense you believe 1 mile is too far then I don't know what to tell you

Old 10-20-2016, 11:12 PM

Quote:
I walk to them so....yes you can? You can't walk a ****ing mile? Or take a bus, or take a train???? The food city and Walmart are MULTIPLE MILES AWAY. very different (much worse) neighborhoods.

If you are so dense you believe 1 mile is too far then I don't know what to tell you
Why a train or mile trek when I can walk to three in the suburbs on the same block? In addition to a music venue, over 15 restaurants, 3 bars? But a mile to a food city in a bad neighborhood? Sign me up!

Old 10-20-2016, 11:20 PM

Because not everyone can live in the 15 houses within a mile of those strip malls.

I don't know who you're trying to fool, a Walmart parking lot is close to a mile itself.

Old 10-20-2016, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Because not everyone can live in the 15 houses within a mile of those strip malls.

I don't know who you're trying to fool, a Walmart parking lot is close to a mile itself.
Not that one

That was a nice block a large diverse one. I miss it sometimes. Very walkable and affordable.

Downtown just isn't there yet. I've seen it improve, but it's nothing special.

Old 10-20-2016, 11:25 PM

Are you talking about the mini Walmart on the asu campus??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area