Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2008, 12:57 PM

300 posts, read 952,121 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeannebean View Post
Count me IN on the transfer to AZ...I'm outta here by late summer..hopefully just when the HOT dry air settles down a bit...I've lived in FL..Melbourne...nice, still toooo humid...Panama City Beach...better..even chilly in the Winter..but during "Spring Break", which doesn't last just two weeks, ..NO..NO...first it's the Canadian College kids, then the New Englanders..and so on..Spring Break can run six weeks, sometimes longer..a bit much for me...Michigan has me soooo disgusted, that even being disabled now, not having to "rely" on the job market...the Govenor actually thinks this State is going to turn around...NEWSFLASH..check back in two decades..that's how long it'll take for this State to "retool' for another type of Industrial changeover...very sad..you'd think these people in Govt. sat around here with Bags on their heads for a few decades not to realize what was going to happen...duh!! The State actually "closed down" for a day or so, this past year..because of the "overpaid" Senate and Congress we have "fulltime" couldn't make a decision on how to plan a workable Budget!! I am sooo done with this State..and sadly, I've lived here, with the exception of FL for a two year span...for 49 years...it has sooo much to offer in the way of Vacationing in the Summer, up North...but to live here right now....I've been pillaged enough!! I've been burning up my Computer trying to accustom myself with AZ and figure out where to live on 14,000 a year..lol..SSD doesn't really keep up with Inflation..though all the years I paid in..it sure did...increasing my deductions!!
The last one out of Michigan, turn the lights off!! Oh, and put the "Closed for Remodeling" sign on the "Welcome to Michigan" sign, for those poor folks heading in!!

It's still hot here in late summer. I'm from Michigan and would move back if it did have the job market Phoenix does. I guess this is a good place to live for jobs but I hear they pay isn't as good as other major cities. If you think FL is too humid then you might put phoenix on your list for being too hot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2008, 12:16 AM

510 posts, read 1,459,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunvixen View Post
Right-o!

Uhhhh, while we're on the subject of why we're leaving Detroit...can anybody explain this video to ME???

YouTube - KWAME KILPATRICK RAP

I'm not quite sure what it has to do with Kwame.... Unless that's a political button on his jacket?
So I guess it left everybody speechless?

(See why everybody is leaving?)

Old 03-14-2008, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bill View Post
I have no desire to go back to MI.

Awww, come on! Can you honestly say you don't miss shoveling snow in 4 degree weather?

Um, how many months per year can you use a generally non-heated pool out there? Or is Heated the norm?

Old 03-14-2008, 10:23 PM

6,069 posts, read 14,777,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunvixen View Post
Awww, come on! Can you honestly say you don't miss shoveling snow in 4 degree weather?

Um, how many months per year can you use a generally non-heated pool out there? Or is Heated the norm?
Yep, I can honestly say that.

We don't heat our pool, it's too expensive. We have a spa that we heat on occasion.

Our grand kids will begin using the pool in about May when they come over and can use it through about September without heating.

I don't use it much so it's difficult to say how many months one can realistically use it without heating; that is, for adults. Kids will use it at colder temperatures.

Old 03-14-2008, 10:53 PM

Thanks, Captain!!

Old 03-15-2008, 12:12 AM

1,818 posts, read 1,528,528 times
I grew up in MI and MA and would rather go to prison and poke my eyes out than ever move back. I love the heat. I actually miss it in the winter. The traffic here is nothing compared to most major cities.
Clearly people have different needs. Myself - I find the people here very friendly.
The biggest thing is that home is where you make it and you get out of life what you put into it. If you are a complaining negative person - that will be your experience.
I focus on the positive and totally love living here.
To anyone moving here I would def recommend renting at first so that you get a feel for the different areas and find out where in the valley you feel most at home. There is nothing worse than getting locked into a bad situation.

Old 03-15-2008, 07:45 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,128,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garson View Post
I grew up in MI and MA and would rather go to prison and poke my eyes out than ever move back. I love the heat. I actually miss it in the winter. The traffic here is nothing compared to most major cities.
Clearly people have different needs. Myself - I find the people here very friendly.
The biggest thing is that home is where you make it and you get out of life what you put into it. If you are a complaining negative person - that will be your experience.
I focus on the positive and totally love living here.
To anyone moving here I would def recommend renting at first so that you get a feel for the different areas and find out where in the valley you feel most at home. There is nothing worse than getting locked into a bad situation.
As what Garson stated

Old 03-15-2008, 01:49 PM

4 posts, read 6,273 times
I moved from Michigan and I love it here in AZ. I lived 20 minutes outside of Detroit. It was a great move for me and my family. The weather is wonderful 9 months out of the year in AZ. The 3 months of really hot weather 100 - 119 degrees are tolerable if you do not stand directly in the sun. The high humidity in MI makes 80 to 90 degree weather unbearable. I have had several friends from Detroit follow my move and they love it here in the Phoenix area also. There are lots of activities and things to do here and they last all year long. Give Phoenix area a try and let go of the 8 months of rainy, cold, snowy, tornado enhanced weather!

Old 03-25-2008, 06:38 PM

2 posts, read 13,809 times
Moved from Detroit in '79 to Phx. It was lovely, but no sense of community. Moved back to the midwest (IL) in 1993 so my children would be able to experience the four seasons and run through backyards with no 6' fences. I've never looked back.

Old 03-26-2008, 09:14 AM

307 posts, read 954,114 times
Default Never looked back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justa Mom View Post
Moved from Detroit in '79 to Phx. It was lovely, but no sense of community. Moved back to the midwest (IL) in 1993 so my children would be able to experience the four seasons and run through backyards with no 6' fences. I've never looked back.
No looking back... even in Arizona forums?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area