Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2008, 12:13 PM

510 posts, read 1,459,585 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sablebaby View Post
you can look at some Phx dust storms on you tube. It really doesn't happen that much and they are not that bad at all. The rain is nice and can come down hard and fast though, but it's so cool. I just love rainstorms!!
Actually, I wasn't going to mention this because it may sound stupid, but they look really cool. I'm sure they make a mess. As for thunderstorms, I love them!

Hmmm...are there lots of power lines on poles out there? I never noticed. Are they underground so winds don't cause your power to go out? Up here, it's good to have a generator around just in case.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2008, 02:03 PM

435 posts, read 1,575,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunvixen View Post
Actually, I wasn't going to mention this because it may sound stupid, but they look really cool. I'm sure they make a mess. As for thunderstorms, I love them!

Hmmm...are there lots of power lines on poles out there? I never noticed. Are they underground so winds don't cause your power to go out? Up here, it's good to have a generator around just in case.
This is true, they certainly do look cool, esp. in the desert. Some of the most beautifully violent storms I've ever seen were during the monsoon season, although I have to say that here in the 4 corners region where I live now we also get some real doozies. If you have a garage and don't need to worry about cleaning your car off afterwards, and if you don't need to get up early the next morning for any reason, then watching them can be fun. Just don't really expect them to drop temps much- they don't. They do jack up the humidity quite a bit, though.

Old 02-26-2008, 02:08 PM

172 posts, read 252,380 times
Quote:
Most neighborhoods built from the late 1970's on have underground electric here. I have been in my house 7 years and never lost power because of a summer thunderstorm.

Old 02-26-2008, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick754 View Post
Most neighborhoods built from the late 1970's on have underground electric here. I have been in my house 7 years and never lost power because of a summer thunderstorm.

YET ANOTHER REASON to move there!!!

We lost over $2000.00 worth of frozen food a few years back during one of many power outages. It hasn't seemed bad since we moved.

Detroit in pitch darkness...now THAT is a fun experience!!

Old 02-26-2008, 05:36 PM

435 posts, read 1,575,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick754 View Post
I lived in one of the older neighborhoods in the Biltmore area north of Camelback & 20th St., and lost power numerous times due to the monsoons. It was almost a given that, during a violent storm, I could expect power to go out in the area for at least a few hours.

Old 02-26-2008, 05:44 PM

6,069 posts, read 14,775,672 times
We haven't lost power because of storms in the four years we've been here.

However, our master breaker box is on the side of the house in front of the fence, and it wasn't locked. We lost power at night and I found the master breaker was tripped. I couldn't figure out why. A few nights later it happened again, and the box wasn't closed tight so I knew it was done by someone.

So I put a lock on it and it never happened again. It was just a teenage prank and they have done that to a lot of homes that don't have locks.

Old 02-27-2008, 01:54 AM

Quote:
Oh, my gosh, that's RIGHT!! I forgot, the car insurnace is different out there!

So, can anybody explain how it works? If I carry auto insurance and somebody ELSE hits my car and injures me, who pays for all that? What if that other person does not have insurance?

The car insurance question...anybody?

Old 02-27-2008, 04:14 AM

6,069 posts, read 14,775,672 times
Quote:
The car insurance question...anybody?
Sunvixen to get the best answer, I suggest you call several insurance companies in the Phoenix area and get a quote from them. They'll be happy to provide you with one. They can answer all your questions for you.

Here's what I think, and it should be the same where you are also. If someone hits you and you're injured, their insurance will pay for it up to their limits.

You can buy uninsured motorist insurance coverage in the event one hits you.

Old 02-27-2008, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bill View Post
Sunvixen to get the best answer, I suggest you call several insurance companies in the Phoenix area and get a quote from them. They'll be happy to provide you with one. They can answer all your questions for you.

Here's what I think, and it should be the same where you are also. If someone hits you and you're injured, their insurance will pay for it up to their limits.

You can buy uninsured motorist insurance coverage in the event one hits you.

Actually, Michigan is a NO-FAULT STATE, Arizona is NOT. That is why our premiums are higher in MI than most states. If somebody hits ME, MY car insurance pays everything for me and my car.

I was wondering if everyone out there carries UNINSURED MOTORIST coverage, and if not, why not?

But I will call, thanks.

Old 02-28-2008, 08:44 AM

461 posts, read 1,809,723 times
Detroit to anywhere else in the entire country is ALWAYS a good idea!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area