Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2008, 11:26 PM

510 posts, read 1,461,661 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bill View Post
Monsoons are simply thunderstorms with wind and dust that's picked up off the desert. They don't bother me at all.

One thing that you have to consider is that a wind/dust storm can bring visibility down to near zero. You may experience that once a year.

If you're on the highway and you see that coming, pull of the highway, stop, and turn your lights OFF, and keep your feet off the brake pedal. That is to keep someone behind you seeing your lights, and thinking you're on the highway, try to follow you and run into you.

If you see a semi on the side of the road, get in front of it and stop. It only happened to me once in the past 4 years.

Now see, THIS is the reason I took the time to register! That is a great tip and I would have never thought about that.

I have been in PLENTY of white-out conditions during snowstorms while ON ICE, which is not fun, so I can sort of figure out what it would be like. Do you get any warning from the weather authorities?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2008, 04:22 AM

6,069 posts, read 14,803,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunvixen View Post
Now see, THIS is the reason I took the time to register! That is a great tip and I would have never thought about that.

I have been in PLENTY of white-out conditions during snowstorms while ON ICE, which is not fun, so I can sort of figure out what it would be like. Do you get any warning from the weather authorities?
Just the normal weather reports of x% chance of thunderstorms.

If you're driving on the highway you'll see the dust, and know which way it's headed, and you'll have plenty of time to decide where to pull over. I'm overly cautious so I would pull over before getting into the dust.

Old 02-26-2008, 06:05 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,195,674 times
Quote:
I may be part reptile, because I didn't even turn the air on in the car until it was into the 90s outside! I really like hot weather. Also, note my name. It was 110 and I was sitting in the sun. Only for 10 minutes, but still! (It's the SUN that is REALLY hot out there)

It was mid to upper 80s at night and opened a window and covered with a sheet.

I'm used to summers that become very humid. I find 90 and high humidity ten times worse than I found 110 and low humidity, but it could just be the way I am made.
Lizard here too------provided I stay in the shade. Admittedly; porcelain white skin and direct sun do not mix.

Originally from the Wash DC area; hated it as a kid growing up (too cold in the winter and sticky summers for starters).......left there in 1978 and never looked back

Old 02-26-2008, 09:59 AM

611 posts, read 2,311,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bill View Post
If you're driving on the highway you'll see the dust, and know which way it's headed, and you'll have plenty of time to decide where to pull over. I'm overly cautious so I would pull over before getting into the dust.
Another good tip anytime there is dust in the air (even from construction without a monsoon dust storm) is to close the vents in your vehicle so that the dust doesn't come inside your car from outside. This will help minimize the chances of getting Valley Fever.

Old 02-26-2008, 10:01 AM

2,039 posts, read 6,330,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve22 View Post
A few hours?? Are you a reptile?
Oh steve, that was funny!

Old 02-26-2008, 10:29 AM

8,882 posts, read 19,893,908 times
What's all this talk of "shoveling snow". Don't people have snowblowers? They're like lawnmowers for snow, for those of you who don't know what I'm talking about.

Old 02-26-2008, 11:54 AM

Arrow Duststorm Video

Snowblower? Isn't that a crack-head in detroit?

Sorry, I couldn't help it.

So these dust storms...are they worse than THIS video? ...

YouTube - big dust storm

(Listen towards the end when the guy says "Tha's what I forgot, my laundry!")

Old 02-26-2008, 11:59 AM

32 posts, read 112,098 times
Our car insurance went down a bundle when we moved to AZ since in michigan we had to pay that stupid uninsured unlimited medical liability. that's like $150 a car a year. plus here we don't live in the phoenix proper. out in maricopa, the rates are cheap (mostly since there's not alot of roads), (just stupid motorists).

Old 02-26-2008, 12:04 PM

3,632 posts, read 16,187,140 times
Quote:
Snowblower? Isn't that a crack-head in detroit?

Sorry, I couldn't help it.

So these dust storms...are they worse than THIS video? ...

YouTube - big dust storm

(Listen towards the end when the guy says "Tha's what I forgot, my laundry!")
you can look at some Phx dust storms on you tube. It really doesn't happen that much and they are not that bad at all. The rain is nice and can come down hard and fast though, but it's so cool. I just love rainstorms!!

Old 02-26-2008, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azkidmom View Post
Our car insurance went down a bundle when we moved to AZ since in michigan we had to pay that stupid uninsured unlimited medical liability. that's like $150 a car a year. plus here we don't live in the phoenix proper. out in maricopa, the rates are cheap (mostly since there's not alot of roads), (just stupid motorists).

Oh, my gosh, that's RIGHT!! I forgot, the car insurnace is different out there!

So, can anybody explain how it works? If I carry auto insurance and somebody ELSE hits my car and injures me, who pays for all that? What if that other person does not have insurance?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area